Lancasters lost in Russia

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Was anything ever salvaged from the various 617 and other Squadron Lancasters that crashed in Russia during ww2? There was a Lancaster coded I believe WSJ that crashed outside of Yagodnik and it looked in pretty good nick shortly after the crash. Surely something must still be around??

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Adding to the Lancaster questions

Peter, apologies for piggy-backing on your question; but on the basis that folks knowledgable and enthusiastic about the Lancaster will come to this thread, I'd like to pick their brains:

I have read that No 9 Squadron, 617's comrade-in-arms (and occasional rival) spent some time in India, towards the end of WW2; but have found very little (like a passing sentence, here and there) on the history of their operations in India. Can anyone point me towards more comprehensive accounts of their operations in India?

Much appreciated, in advance. Thanks and regards,

Snoopy

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Lancasters lost in Russia

Peter, a small section of the mid-fusealage still exists. It is part of the Newark Air Museum . It is a nine squadron lancaster, serial W4964, which was part of the raid on the tirpitz. Several years ago the BBMF lancaster flew in these colours with Johnny Walker nose art.

photograph at......

http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/p_W4964.jpg

- Steve Hatton

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Steve.
I have since found the crash photo again in Lanc at war series. The codes were WS-H serial NF938. it was wrecked in a bog in the Talagi area, 10 miles from Yagodnik near Archangel. The Pilot was F/o Keeley. It goes on to state that 2 more 9 squadron and 2 617 squadron lancs crashed in russia and although salvage was impossible, much equipment was recovered.

I wonder if there is any way short of flying there to find out if anytyhing survives such as in the case of the Lancaster Easy Elsie.
Peter

Member for

24 years 3 months

Guys,
there is a swedish home page at this address:

http://www.flygarkeologi.cjb.net/

When it opens click HAV. PLATSER and then the third and last links from the top for pictures of Easy Elsie. The pictures were taken in 2000 and 2001 respectively.

Christer

Member for

24 years 3 months

Nice photo's.... Who owns this aircraft or is it just abandoned? No sign of the engines though, I guess they were spirited away a long time ago.
Halibag

Member for

24 years 3 months

9 Squadron

> ... It is a nine squadron
>lancaster, serial W4964, which was part of the raid on the
>tirpitz. Several years ago the BBMF lancaster flew in these
>colours with Johnny Walker nose art.
>
> ...
>

Steve, do you anything about 9 Squadron's service in India? Thanks in advance,

Snoopy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Regarding Easy Elsie,
I don´t think it´s owned by anyone except the government probably having given it some kind of monumental status.
I´m sure though that it´s not up for grabs.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Re.surviving Lanc bits

I still want to know what happened to the rest of 'Old Fred' as displayed in the IWM London-at some point that went from complete aircraft to nose-section only, but where, and when?!

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Re.surviving Lanc bits

Lancman...my neighbour Alec was mid upper gunner on 'Old Fred' for 21 trips...he and the crew wrote a book about their exploits...I'll see what I can find out for you :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Snoopy, Not found too much i'm afraid, 9 squadron had the lanc from Aug 42-Jul 46 having previously used the wellington. During this period moving from Waddington to Bardney then to India ( Salbani )and back to Binbrook, no dates im afraid though.

- Steve Hatton

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Ashley!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I rember reading in Flypast ,not too long ago,about a Lanc that had been used as an engine test bed "somewhere" in Russia-did anything ever come to light?

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: 9 Squadron

Steve, thanks for that. Back to Google and the libraries, I guess, to try and find a bit more about 9 Squadron in India! Thanks again and regards,

Snoopy

Member for

24 years 3 months

On 11/12-9-1944 the following Lancasters were lost to service in transit to Russia.
A/c from 9 Squadron
LL884 WS-Q Mk.I force landed at 0700 position 6423N/4120E crew all safeand taken to Archangel.
NF938 WS-H Mk.I force landed at 0600 on marshy ground near Talagi,Russia. Crew all safe and taken to Archangel.
NF985 WS-D Mk.I force landed at 0700 at Vestcova, Russia.Crew all safe and taken to Archangel.
PD211 WS-M Mk.I force landed approx 0700 on Belomorsk airfield,Russia.Undercarriage collapsing after touchdown on the wooden planking airstrip.All crew safe and taken to Archangel.

A/c from 617 Squadron
ME559 KC-Y Mk.I Crash landed at 0540 on Kegostrov airfield,skidded on wet grass and crashed through a boundary fence.All the crew were safe(All were to lose their lives before the end of the year).
It is reported that the Russians managed to repair this Lancaster and it was returned to service with the 16th Squadron of the White Sea Fleet.
EE131 KC-B Mk.III ran low of fuel and force landed at 0610 wheels up near Molotovsk,Russia.All crew safe. Five were to lose their lives in January 1945.
On 16/17-9-1944
PB416 KC-V took off from Yagodnik,Russia and crashed at 0215 into high ground near Nesbyen, approx 180 Km NW of Oslo. All aboard lost their lives.Reference for the above was from Bomber Command Losses 1944 by Chorley.
Further information from Carl-Fredrick Geust sent to me recently includes reference to the following:
LL884 was in VVS SF records as of 1-7-1945.
NF985 was in VVS SF records 1-7-1945.
Russian Lancaster operators:
VVS BVF: 16 ATO
VVS SF: 16 OTE,70 OTRAP
VVS VMF: 65 AP ON
Also (I can not remember where) I have read that a Dark coloured (Black?) Lancaster was intercepted over the Baltic in post war years,by the RAF or US Forces I expect.
One photo of a Russian Lancaster is in (if I remember correctly) an Air Pictorial magazine, it was just of the nose section that had a "Greenhouse" very like the one originally on the first Civil Lanc in Canada befor it was altered.
Photos of the force landed a/c are in "Lancaster at War" series and "Lancaster" the Harleyford publication.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hello ALex.
Thanks for the interesting info on the russian lancasters. I have seen the crash pic in Lanc at war and that is what made me curious as to wether or not anyhting had been salvaged from her.
Cheers,
Peter

Member for

24 years 3 months

Small i know, but the prop and some other bits from one of the Damn busters lancs are in a cabinet at Newark, near the fuselage of Johnny Walker. i know the fuselage was used as a hen house.

Member for

24 years 3 months

And Lancman...I haven't forgotten your query about Old Fred, I'm just waiting for some feedback from the gentleman who flew in her :)