Spitfire 3 - How I dream of airshows!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just one to look forward!

(I feel such a traitor, must post a Hurricane next time!!)

Regards

Tony
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c66b650086075e9.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Spitfire 3 - How I dream of airshows!

Tasty! Does anyone know why Historic Flying are painting up one of their new Spitfires in these colours, while this one is being fixed? Do you think it's because such a distinctive paint scheme is now associated with the company?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Drooling all over keyboard here...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Aaaahhhhh.... TD248. :) :) :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

A repaint? I think the colours tell you why they would want to repaint another!

i wasnt aware they were doing that, I assume the MK9 would be the one for a repaint. Whats happening with their MK18, it was supposed to have been sold to the US.

How many Spits have they got now?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Sadsack...it's Historic Flying Limited's latest restoration which will be painted in the same colours...the mark of aircraft escapes me at the moment, but from I last heard, she's pretty near completion...and TD248 is not far behind either :)

I'm not sure about the MKIX or MKXVIII...I haven't seen either for a while so had just presumed they were in the blister sheds for winter maintenance...

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think they have a MK5 and MK9, either of which is probably the next one right?

Member for

24 years 3 months

High back XVI is the model, as opposed to the low back ex Eddie Coventry aircraft. There are few colours schemes that show off the lines of a spit better! G-Fire was particularly nice! I shall post a photo of her if any one wants?! The in flight comparison shot the two aircraft in racing colours should show the differences beautifully.

Member for

24 years 3 months

post by all means

Member for

24 years 3 months

I believe that the second aircraft to wear the 41 squadron racing colours is the High back Mk XIV RN201 which is currently under rebuild.

With regard to the pic of TD248 above, was this taken at the last Wroughton Great Warbirds display in the 90's, when she won best Warbird. More importantly where are the YAK 11 photo's from the weekend?

Member for

24 years 3 months

That MK14, is that the one some berk swapped for a Bristol F2b?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Yes it was exchanged for a Bristol F2b, however I wouldn't describe the gentleman in question as a berk, he's done some fantastic deals in the past, and has some very nice aircraft, besides which he still has a Bristol Fighter in his collection.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Another shot.
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c6848ad895034cf.jpg

Member for

24 years 3 months

Looks like its time I set up the scanner, I've got some great shots of TD248 and G-OYAK together. Shame they were sold before G-IYAK could join them.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Dunno who owned it but seems a daft swap to me. Still its his plane and he can do what he likes with it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think the person you are refering to might be Guy Black who seems to have done quite well out of 'swaps'.
The Spitfire which was acquired in exchange for the Bristol F.2b was actually Spitfire MK.9 MK912. The 'Bristol' was constructed on the basis of a Weston-On-The-Green frame and a large pile of static parts to make the excellent example which is now on display at Brussels. All this work was carried out by Skysport Engineering to their 'usual' standards.
I guess that Spitfire is now worth £1 million whereas a Bristol Fighter constructed from static parts would have a value of £ 75-120
K.
Regarding Spitfire XIV RN201 - she was received in return for
Fairey Battle R3950 which departed to Brussels circa 1990 after a number of years of uncertainty in the U.K when she had been auctioned but failed to reach 'serious' money - from memory she was bid to £39,000.If you could acquire an aircraft for that kind of money and
swop it for a Spitfire I believe most people would !
She is now on display in Belgian markings and has a safe and secure future in a coutry where she is a fine tribute to the
gallant British and Belgian crews lost in 1940.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Is the Bristol fighter referred to above not the one that Guy Black is hoping to fly this year? [www.historicaircraftcollection.ltd.uk/hac_restorations.html]

I believe they have been waiting on the engine, which is said to be the oldest surviving Rolls-Royce aero engine.

I agree with David... It sounds to me like Guy black has done very well out of his swaps... He already has a flying spitfire, so why does he need another? Why not swap what you have to get something that you want.

It looks like his collection is shaping up quite nicely. It looks like with the addition of Rob Davies' aircraft, we will be seeing a lot of the Historic Aircraft Collection and their beautiful Mk V Spitfire BM597 (My favourite Spitfire) :)

Philip.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The 'Brisfit' which Guy has is a different machine. Built up on the basis of a Weston-On-The-Green fuselage frame and the engine itself
is the third production Falcon obtained from Brussels in exchange for some other engines.
Regards the Spitfire's - Spitfire MK912 now belongs to Karl Bos
(Historic Flying) and was offered for sale last year and I believe the
XIV (RN201) also now belongs to him so I guess Guy is left with only the MK.V to cherish !

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ok I sound corrected, but if i was offered a choice of a Spit or a Battle I'd take the battle.