Duxford, Again....

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 6 months

A quick visit today (Wed Apr 6th) saw another Duxford warbird preparing for the airshow season:

075:MH434 / G-ASJV
076:MH434 / G-ASJV

And it can't be long before it is joined by:

077:G-AWHE

Mary Alice and the square door she will exit via ( I'll believe it when I see it ):

078:F-BDRS

De Havilland Canada One and Two:

079:G-AMUF / G-DHCZ

Classic Wings busy as usual:

080:G-APAO / R4922

The most numerous RAF type? :

081:G-CGKA

And a change from the usual Tin:

082:G-ZINC

Original post

Member for

15 years 11 months

Nice Pic's

Member for

20 years 7 months

:rolleyes: Typical,i went yesterday and it was damp and cold and not a mouse moved.
Lucky you :D green with envy

Member for

19 years 4 months

Nice shots. Shame they didn't fit doors to the AAM to allow aircraft to be moved in and out more easily.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I seem to recall being told that when they have to drop the glass front that costs a good 10 grand...

Member for

17 years 8 months

Only an idiot could have accepted the design for that hangar IMO. Sorry but I have always felt strongly about the total waste of space and money.

John

Member for

19 years

If only you'd hung about you would have got a full first practice display of the season by the other Buchon at about 17:15. It was great and the lighting conditions were superb;)

Member for

16 years 4 months

Does anyone know if they have the parts they need for that desert camouflaged Buchon?

Member for

20 years 7 months

Excellent stuff :)

Is the Buchon going to be operated by ARCo, or is there another concern taking it on in the end?

Member for

12 years 11 months

I'm going this Friday, I hope I get to see some practice flights :)

Member for

18 years 7 months

Only an idiot could have accepted the design for that hangar IMO. Sorry but I have always felt strongly about the total waste of space and money.

John

First off its not a hangar....its an exhibition building, dedicated to the memory of those of the USAF who died.... as such it requires a different approach than a hangar.

And to call the then Director of the IWM and his team 'idiots' ...well I guess we'll applaud loudly when you contribute as much to the development of a national aviation collection as that individual did... until then...:rolleyes:

Member for

18 years 7 months

I seem to recall being told that when they have to drop the glass front that costs a good 10 grand...

If only it were 10K...

Member for

14 years 5 months

And the difference is.....?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Nice shots. Shame they didn't fit doors to the AAM to allow aircraft to be moved in and out more easily.

There are doors... three pairs of doors, with opening overpanels.

What you may mean is its a shame they didn't want to create another hangar and wanted to do something that was more appropriate to the memory of the servicemen and women who didn't 'come home'...

One where the actual churn of the collection was low that the primary goal of creating a unique connection between the active airfield and the collection was deemed more important than the infrequent moving of the larger airframes (which may require the removal of the wall..)

I guess their priorities were/ are different to yours..

Member for

14 years 5 months

I do not know if you have a vested interest but I have to say I think the AAM is very fine building. I visit it every time I go to the museum and I would say it is a fitting memorial to those airmen, who are so evocatively remembered on the panels along the slope to the main entrance.

Member for

18 years 7 months

And the difference is.....?

The difference being that what is rumoured and what is true is often far apart.

Member for

18 years 7 months

I do not know if you have a vested interest but I have to say I think the AAM is very fine building. I visit it every time I go to the museum and I would say it is a fitting memorial to those airmen, who are so evocatively remembered on the panels along the slope to the main entrance.

Thank you for that... I feel the same way and have had the pleasure of having direct experience of the power of this building on those survivors who return to the UK just to experience its unique qualities....

Member for

14 years 5 months

Indeed!! I imagine it applies to a number of threads/topics here which "do the rounds" every once in a while.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Thank you for that... I feel the same way and have had the pleasure of having direct experience of the power of this building on those survivors who return to the UK just to experience its unique qualities....

I don't doubt it. And, yes, I take your point about the difference between a rumour and a fact.

Member for

17 years 8 months

First off its not a hangar....its an exhibition building, dedicated to the memory of those of the USAF who died.... as such it requires a different approach than a hangar.

And to call the then Director of the IWM and his team 'idiots' ...well I guess we'll applaud loudly when you contribute as much to the development of a national aviation collection as that individual did... until then...:rolleyes:

So Tomb (for aeroplanes) would be a more appropiate description? Mine is not the only voice of those who feel that this and the twisted monstrosity at Cosford are a waste of space and money. As far as memorials go there is a far more moving one just outside Cambridge. Aviation Museums and national collections should (IMO) spend money on the core subject and it's preservation and not arty flights of fancy. Some properly insulated and usable hangars on a former wartime aerodrome have more atmosphere of rememberance than an arty concrete igloo. I'll bet you love the memorial to the irremovable Digit at Hendon which marks the spot where they chopped up a Beverley.

John