Joyce Green aerodrome centenary

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hi all,
I have recently been doing a bit if research on the old aerodrome at Joyce Green.
This airfield celebrates it's centenary this year. The first flight having taken
Place in July 1911 before it eventually closed in 1919.
Could anyone let me know if it is possible/realistic to try and arrange for a ww1 or earlier aircraft to perform a flypast to celebrate this centenary.
I think it would be great to arrange something. if anyone has any contacts with suitable aircraft that would be really great.
Joyce Green was temporarily home to some notable ww1 aces including Mccudden and Mannock. The airfield was also the home of Vickers and sons who test flew most of their early designs here including the gunbus.
Thanks in advance
Gerry

Original post

Member for

14 years 6 months

What a great idea! How accessible is the site now?

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hi,
I doubt that the ground would be hard enough for a landing, certainly at this time if the year.
There is a road that takes you right past the site of the airfield.
However access to this road is locked with a gate most of the time. I doubt that the owner would have any objection to opening it to allow people to watch a flypast though.
It may even be possible to land something there in the summer time when the ground is much firmer- now that would be something!
Gerry

Member for

14 years 6 months

I don't suppose there is a local association which woild be invloved, is there? In fact are you the only person who is even aware of the anniversary? Wasn't the Vimy or its pdecessor first flown from Joyce Green?

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hi,
Yes you are quite correct.
The FB27 Vimy Prototype was assembled and flown from Joyce Green.
In fact in order to fit the Vimy in the hangars they had to dig out the ground inside. I have attached a picture that shows that quite well.
Best wishes
Gerry

Attachments

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hi Wiesso,
Cheers for those links.
The FB16, nicknamed 'Pot belly' by Vickers chief test pilot Henry Barnwell, was reputedly McCuddens favourite aircraft.
I know that he tried to take it with him when he went back to France, however he was not allowed due to it being 'Non standard'.
On July 5th 1917 McCudden test flew FB16 after it had been fitted with a new 200 hp Hispano engine. He achieved 147 mph at ground level and a climb to 10000 feet in 8.5 minutes.
I should add that I take no credit for any of the above information, all from an early edition of 'Cross and Cockade'.
Nonetheless, another example of the historical importance of the aerodrome.
Thanks once again for your time
best wishes
Gerry

Member for

14 years 6 months

Thank you both for the pictures and links. I do hope someone can arrange a smalll celebration - it seems to be crying out for it!:)

Member for

17 years 7 months

Its interesting RFC history included it being used for various Home Defence squadrons, also by the Wireless Test Establishment.

They eventually moved out in 1917, to a brand new airfield called.... Biggin Hill.

Among the next inhabitants of Joyce Green were some of the earliest elements of the US Army
Air Service to arrive in Europe.....

Well worth 'an event' if it can be organised!

Member for

14 years 6 months

I wish I could contribute more than just considerable moral support!

Member for

16 years 5 months

Cheers gents for your replies,
I will speak to Dartford council and see if they are willing to allow something to take part.
The current owner of the land is a decent chap who I am sure will be only too willing to celebrate the centenary somehow.
It would be great to see some aircraft over the field though.
I know that there is a housing development being built on the site of the old Joyce Green hospital, perhaps they would consider naming a few roads in honour of some of the pioneers that operated from there.
Just a thought....
Cheers again
Gerry

Member for

14 years 6 months

Some good ideas there, Gerry, especially road names, which is a very common practice - fingers crossed the Council give it their support and good to hear the landowner is friendly. Very important these days! I shall watch developments with great interest. If the mods don't feel there is mileage in the thread please keep me informed by PM.
Thanks
SH

Member for

12 years 9 months

Hello all,

I have been trying to find out the location of Joyce Green aerodrome, which has brought me to this Forum.

I found on another forum a guess at its location which is shown by the yellow pin in the attachment.

I am sorry the picture is on the small side but would be grateful if someone with greater knowledge could tell me where the aerodrome was located in relation to the pin.

Many thanks in advance,

Jonathan S

Attachments

Member for

12 years 9 months

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I will get a positive reply here otherwise I will try the Airfield Information Exchange as you suggest.

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan S

Member for

16 years 5 months

Joyce green Aerodrome

Hi Jonathan,
Your pin is pretty much smack in the middle of the aerodrome.
If you live locally I can meet you there and give you a small tour.
The local scale flying club (Dartford Nomads) celebrated the centenery last week with a flying display and BBQ. The Mayor of Dartford was guest of honour.
Several of the streets in the new housing developement will be named after airmen and aircraft that flew from there so it seems that the airfields history won't be completely forgotten.
I have attached a few pics from the centenery day. (apologies to those who wanted full size aircraft but alas it was not possible on this occasion).
Between 70 and 100 people attended on the day.
Gerry

Attachments

Member for

12 years 9 months

Gerry - thanks your reply. I am really annoyed with myself for missing the centenery. I live between Maidstone and Gillingham, so not far. I will be at Beltring this weekend but would like to take you up on your kind offer at a convenient time.

For your info, my primary interest in Joyce Green is the connection to Jimmy McCudden, and then Vickers and of course the history of the aerodrome.

Thanks and regards,

Jonathan S

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hi Jonathon,
I apologise for not replying sooner.
In truth I completely failed to see your post and have only just noticed it due to it being linked to another post.
Contact me at [email]gedburke3@yahoo.co.uk[/email] and we'll arrange a meet up.
I should tell you that there isn't much there now.
Gerry