Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvard KF 729

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ozplane
    Rank 5 Registered User

Harvard KF 729

I have been asked to write a paragraph on the Harvard KF729 used by Classic Wings at Duxford to give "warbird experience" flights. This will be given to the lucky participants after their flights. I've tried Google and other than the reference to Prince Philip having used it during his training, there isn't much available. Does anybody have any anecdotal information they could share please?
  • BennoT6
    Rank 5 Registered User

KF729

Hi,

The Harvard, G-BJST, is painted as Prince Philip's KF729, but it's in fact a former Italian Air Force Canadian Car & Foundry T-6H Harvard. Italian serial was MM53795 with unitcode SC-66. The Harvard was used in the film "Empire of the Sun".

Regards,

Benno

Comment

• ozplane
      Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks for your very quick reply Benno, Just the kind of thing I need. Could I ask what was the sequence of operators? RAF, Italian AF, then civil?

Comment

• Bograt
        Rank 5 Registered User

It's only thought to be that aircraft, there is no hard evidence;

http://www.caa.co.uk/AANDocs/27642/27642000000.pdf

Seems to have been accepted though...

Comment

• BennoT6
          Rank 5 Registered User

G-BJST

Hi,

Although there was no dataplate in the aircraft, it is almost absolutely sure it was MM53795/SC-66. However the former USAF-identity is not know. Access to records in Italy is not possible since these are still "secret". The Harvard was released from military service "only recently" in their opinion ...

51-17...(USAF), MM53795(ItalAF), G-BJST

This particular Harvard was build after WW2, and was never used by the RAF.

Will send you some pix (PM). When having them used, please credit correctly.

Regards,

Benno

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
          X