Trying to find out what I've gotten myself into..

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years

Last november, out of sheer boredom, I began building a website on my home webserver (see the link in my signature) about abandoned and lesser known airfields in Europe, much like the one by Paul Freeman in the US. In the past 3 months I've made good progress (if I may say so myself) reaching 180 until this afternoon.

I'm getting a bit worried though. I knew in advance there would be a lot of airfields in Germany (I'm currently counting close to 500), and I know there's at least that amount in the UK. I'm fine with that idea, and I know it took Paul a decade to get where he is now, so I have plenty of time. But today I realised: I have not even begun to look in other large European countries, like France, Spain, Italy, Poland and the former Soviet states.

Can anyone give me an educated guess on what is still ahead of me?

Original post

Member for

14 years 6 months

I cannot answer your question other than to surmise that there are hundreds in the UK, which is my home territory. The Airfield Information Exchange here does a terrific job on old and abandoned airfields and airfield archaeology.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Well there have been probably well over 1000 airfields in the UK if you count all the WW1 strips, WW2 ALG/ELG/RLGs etc.

I started out just over 10 years ago just covering all aeronautical sites in Hampshire, Dorset, Isle of Wight and (later )Devon and the total number for those counties alone (excluding modern strips /helipads etc ) comes to well over 100 active or non- active locations.

Just keeping that up-to-date is quite time consuming .

Good luck - the site looks good.

Member for

17 years

Aeronautical, does that include radar and air defense missile sites? Because unless there once was an airfield on to the site, I have no intention to inclode those. Still, over 1000 is double the amount I thought I would see in the UK. Oh well, that'll keep me off the streets for a while ;)

I still don't have any clue about the other European countries. Would France for instance come in at about the same amount of Germany? They're roughly equal in size and military history over the past 100 years or so.

Member for

16 years 8 months

How soon is your list for France coming onto your website?

Member for

17 years

How soon is your list for France coming onto your website?

I plan to begin on France by March. I know I will not have Germany complete by then, but my aim is not completeness yet. I just want to make an enjoyable site.

Are you looking for any specific area? At the moment I just have some airfields along the Belgian border in my sights.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Re France - you need to have a look at the Anciens Aerodromes website , altho' right now the site seems to be having problems.
http://www.anciens-aerodromes.org/

Aeronautical, does that include radar and air defense missile sites?

No - just locations where at some time during the last 200 years or so, intrepid and often foolhardy aviators have leapt fearlessly into the air!...in other words ...Aerodromes both land and water,airfields, airstrips, private strips, helipads, heliports, balloon sites and airship sites.

Member for

17 years

Re France - you need to have a look at the Anciens Aerodromes website , altho' right now the site seems to be having problems.
http://www.anciens-aerodromes.org/

Ah, thanks, that will be a helpful one. :)

No - just locations where at some time during the last 200 years or so, intrepid and often foolhardy aviators have leapt fearlessly into the air!...in other words ...Aerodromes both land and water,airfields, airstrips, private strips, helipads, heliports, balloon sites and airship sites.

With the exclusion of helipads and balloon sites (there are simply too many) that is about my list of interest. I might add them at a later time, but for now I think I have my hands full with the 'restricted' list I'm working on already. :)

Member for

19 years

That will grow into a very interesting site, Ronald, keep going with it!

Member for

15 years 5 months

Very interesting site and not over technical, I look forward to watching the progress of this site growing.

Well done

Chris Davies

Member for

17 years

Thank you all for the complliments, they're a great motivator! :)

Member for

18 years 7 months

If you ever come to the point in covering Estonia: During our holiday (2010) I visited the once very, very secret Raadi Airbase north of Tartu and took some pictures there. Some runway pics and some of the old revetments. Also the Control tower.

PM me your email and I can mail them to you if you like.

Tillerman.

Member for

15 years 6 months

When you do get to East Europe and the Baltic state have a look at AiX/Overseas Airfields/Airfields of Europe ...on about 3 pages back you'll find downloadable KMZ (Google Earth ) files for the Baltic States ,Poland,Czech, Slovak and some Russian fields that I placed there .

Member for

17 years

If you ever come to the point in covering Estonia: During our holiday (2010) I visited the once very, very secret Raadi Airbase north of Tartu and took some pictures there. Some runway pics and some of the old revetments. Also the Control tower.

PM me your email and I can mail them to you if you like.

Tillerman.

That would be great, thank you. PM is on i's way :)

Member for

17 years

When you do get to East Europe and the Baltic state have a look at AiX/Overseas Airfields/Airfields of Europe ...on about 3 pages back you'll find downloadable KMZ (Google Earth ) files for the Baltic States ,Poland,Czech, Slovak and some Russian fields that I placed there .

Thanks, I will certainly do that!

Member for

17 years

I was bored today, so I opted to take a small country, and add all their airfields (safe for the international airport). I think I have Malta complete now. :)

Member for

17 years

Progress update: the site has now officially passed 200 airfields! :D

Member for

17 years

Another progress update: over 250 airfields now, including some former USAF airfields in France!

Member for

13 years 1 month

Excellent website....very interesting reading

Member for

14 years 6 months

Very interesting website - glad you get bored now and then.;)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Ronald, I have no idea of the actual numbers but France is well known as an aviation friendly country. That combined with the fact that every town, village, and hamlet seems to have its own airfield I would say you'll be looking at as many if not more than Germany