Marauder fuselage section recovery

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

I'm hoping this might be of interest to members. I'm involved with a small museum being established in Colchester which will illustrate the colourful history of Boxted airfield which is near the village of Langham. Quite a few well known American pilots flew from there during the War. We're now in the process of getting some exhibits together and this YouTube film shows what's probably going to be our largest for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc84420LDjM

As I said above, our museum will be a small one - housed in two nissen huts. The fuselage will be towed over to the site on days we are open which should be the Spring.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Original post

Member for

18 years 6 months

Yes, it has come from Earls Colne, left in the container shown in my pics for donkeys years apparently. I only visited the Rebel museum once when I moved to Colchester just before it sadly closed, and I remember it as being a very impressive museum. Did we really need another golf shop?! Such is life.

Anyhow, our chairman has managed to obtain this and the nice thing is that in our Historical Group (Boxted Airfield Historical Group) we have a still living veteran who was actually a tail gunner in one of these. His flak helmet is on display in a museum in Ohio. When recieved the curator thought its owner must surely have persihed such are the holes in it. Henry Farwell stayed in the UK married an English woman and although old is quite active.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Great to see this section of Marauder is still around and being properly looked after.

I recall Stan and Dave Brett (both now deceased, I believe) from Brockley in SE London were the main players with that museum, I think? I believe they acquired this item originally.

Both were once involved with the Essex Aviation Group who had a little museum at Duxford, and I was nominally a member circa 1971/72. (Incidentally, one of their junior members at this time was a certain John Romain, whom I recall making the teas and coffees for visiting members!!)

I know that Stan and Dave left the Essex group and did their own thing and had a very impressive collection indeed. What on earth happened to it all? And what happened to everything the Essex group once had at Duxford?

Member for

18 years 2 months

Pleased to see it is going back on public display.
It was the Rebel Air Museum by the way. (not Rebel Museum).

Pete

Member for

16 years 6 months

Likewise i only visited the museum at Earls Colne once, and this piece is just as impressive now as it was then.
Glad at least one rare rear fuselage from the past has survived.!

Talking of which....

....did the photos arrive, Rob?

Member for

20 years 1 month

And what happened to everything the Essex group once had at Duxford?

I heard a lot of it went to the people who own 'After the Battle' Magazine. How true this is I dont know, but there were a few displays from Digs that I participated in. Would be good to see those items again.

Member for

16 years 6 months

Talking of which....

....did the photos arrive, Rob?

Nothing yet! You sure you put a stamp on the envelope? :D

Member for

18 years 2 months

As an ex-Rebel Air Museum person, I'm glad to see that our old Marauder fuselage will be going back on display once more.

However, it is mixed with a twinge of sadness that she has left what was her rightful home as an ex 323rd Bomb Group Marauder. I often wonder what both Stan and David would make of the fact that their museum no longer exists. A lot of hard work went into it, and yet it is no more. Stan05...no, we didn't need another ruddy golf shop!

Andy...
When the museum shut, the collection was spread far and wide. I know that some exhibits went to the Norfolk and Suffolk and some went to the museum at St Osyth. A fair bit was sold off too. Either way, still a shame it's all gone.

Regards;
Someone who froze their nuts of over far too many winter weekends at Earls Colne many moons ago....!

Nothing yet! You sure you put a stamp on the envelope? :D

Nope....just a big sticker saying postage will be paid by recipient! :D

Member for

16 years 6 months

:eek::D

Member for

18 years 10 months

Hmmmm... now to get these two together and find the other parts (center section, wings, etc).

At Hill Aerospace Museum, Hill AFB, Ogden Utah in July 2009.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Bager1968/Aircraft/relics/DSCN0945.jpg

Member for

16 years 6 months

:eek: I am stunned that in this day and age a WW2 cockpit section is being stored outside still, on the ground.. regardless of how wet or dry the climate is. Lets hope its only temporary! And is that the throttle box laying in the nose?

Member for

18 years 7 months

I heard a lot of it went to the people who own 'After the Battle' Magazine. How true this is I dont know, but there were a few displays from Digs that I participated in. Would be good to see those items again.

The majority of items from EAG went to 'After the Battle' people and the Imperial War Museum with a few retained so that we could continue in a much smaller room and that is where we are today despite efforts to move us on.

Stan & Dave Brett were indeed founder members of EAG but both sadly passed on.

We are open most sundays during the summer and some winter sundays.

Pete Rushen, Chairman EAG

Pete

Thanks for that information! I didn't know that, although it was one of the questions I had meant to ask you at a rain-lashed Duxford a couple of weeks back. However, the horizontal rain persuaded me that however much I'd like a chat then winding down my window more than a quarter of an inch was not a good idea. Anyway....you were clearly enjoying yourself in the rain and I didn't want to interrupt your enjoyment!!!

Member for

16 years 6 months

Andy, pics arrived today thank you. Will email later :).

Member for

16 years 6 months

Stan and David Brett were involved with the BHAM and later Historic Aircraft Museum at Southend. Before the building went up they used to spend their holidays camping in a tent at the museum site to work mainly on Mitchell N9089Z which was very much their "baby".
When the Historic Aircraft Museum was launched there was an article in the local paper saying that some of the aircraft had been moved to the museum site. On the following Sunday I cycled to the new site and waited for someone to appear hoping that they would let a spotty 14 year old meddle with their aeroplanes. Stan Brett appeared on a tractor so I asked him if I could help.
"You need to speak to Bill" he said "lock up your bike and jump on". He drove me across the airfield to meet Bill Gent and I was welcomed into the group.
I was regular after school visitor when Stan and David were at the museum and they always encouraged me and showed me how to do things to help.
My only visit to Earls Colne was around the time that David died and I was shown around by someone from the museum who I think worked on the airfield.
Stan and David both put a lot of effort over a long time into aircraft preservation and it is very sad that their museum doesn't survive but I am sure that they would be happy to know that the Maruader section is being looked after.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Is that one of the 'Million Dollar Valley' airframes?
http://explorenorth.com/library/aviation/million_dollar_valley.html

It did come from Alaska, but it isn't one of the airframes in that article. If you check the links, you will find that the 3 airframe numbers were 40-1459, 40-1464, and 40-1501.

The example at Hill is B-26 (s/n 40-1370). It is listed as "under restoration", but I don't know how much else Hill has, as I saw nothing recognizable as from a B-26 when I wandered through the "back lot".

1159 is being restored to flight by the MAPS Air Museum, North Canton, Ohio

1464 is owned by Kermit Weeks, and while still listed as airworthy, hasn't flown in years.

1501 is restored for display at the Pima Air & Space Museum, Tucson, Arizona.