Whitley bits?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 11 months

A brief hour's digging near Llandow brought these bits up, can't find a part number on the access panel but there were a couple more with AW numbers. Whitley? I've not seen a similar extinguisher but it was mixed up with aircraft pieces? Elliott, do you have any more of those P51 link chutes, could well do with a straight one!

Attachments
Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

Well the fire extinguisher is the same as a Stirling.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks Hindenberg, didn't think it belonged to the scrapmen but hadn't seen one like it before.

Member for

15 years 1 month

The access panel is from the underside wing of a Lincoln (Dont know if Lanc is the same) I know cos we have one the same and have photo of it (somewhere) taken on the Cosford Lincoln.

Ant. :)

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks Ant, excellent ID! The Lanc manual shows it as Jettison pipe valve cover so must be a common Avro part. Didn't know where to start looking with that one.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Ian

That's a later extinguisher - unfortunately not Whitley but a pretty good find! Be interested to see some of the AW bits you found... If they are stainless they are likely to be albemarle.

Still have some link chutes - dont worry - i'll keep some for you

I'll try and give you a ring later

Member for

24 years 3 months

That fuel jettison cover looks a bit off for a Lancaster. I could be wrong but weren't the lancaster covers fitted with a small round hole not a square one?

Member for

16 years 11 months

Fuel jettison rather than bomb jettison, Peter. There is a good photo on page 124 of the SAM modeller's datafile, Ant had it exactly.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Ian was busy looking at instrument panel pictures when I was typing that :)

Member for

16 years 11 months

I think this is Whitley, found the manufacturer 'Exactor' and googled back to this very forum where Elliott was requesting same. Small world etc etc..

Attachments

Member for

18 years 5 months

Swhaps recovery from Llandow included Mustang and Lincoln parts.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks Scotavia, have picked up quite a bit of P51 from the surface at a different site, didn't know about the Lincolns. will get in touch with one of the hopefully surviving SWhaps members up the road. It's just scraps there now, but some interesting scraps.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Wow - you've found an exactor control! What kind of shape is it in? They were used to control the pitch of the prop on the Whitley... Looks like a great site!

Member for

24 years 3 months

Just saw your new pics on the eu relics forum Ian - I do think you have a part of the teleflex controls there. The green alloy item below the wedge plate is Whitley - it's a bracket which holds a camera wedge plate! Any part numbers on that strip with the three 5c/430 terminal blocks?

Member for

18 years 3 months

Wow - you've found an exactor control! What kind of shape is it in? They were used to control the pitch of the prop on the Whitley... Looks like a great site!

It was much better before i clubbed it with my shovel:D

Member for

16 years 11 months

That goes for quite a few of the relics, FA. Modified during excavation. At least it wasn't a toothed bucket. The exactor control is die cast alloy and the crud comes off quite well, wouldn't hold out too much hope for the innards but I'm sure you can do something with it, Elliott. I'm guessing the wedge plate is Whitley to as it's riveted to the Whitley wedge plate support. Teleflex control has most of the body corroded away but part number B10072 and an MHC V3 inspection stamp. Be still your beating heart?

Member for

18 years 3 months

That goes for quite a few of the relics, FA. Modified during excavation. At least it wasn't a toothed bucket. The exactor control is die cast alloy and the crud comes off quite well, wouldn't hold out too much hope for the innards but I'm sure you can do something with it, Elliott. I'm guessing the wedge plate is Whitley to as it's riveted to the Whitley wedge plate support. Teleflex control has most of the body corroded away but part number B10072 and an MHC V3 inspection stamp. Be still your beating heart?

Ian the sales pitch should be "New old stock!" not seen the light of day for 60years:diablo:

Member for

16 years 8 months

I don't think they broke Stirlings at the site so probably Mossie.

Hi Ian, I think you're right about Llandow, however slightly further SE they did break Stirlings just off the Picketston site.

Did you get into that area we last spoke of, just wondered if you ID'd those large flat alloy panels?

Member for

16 years 4 months

The only thing I recall about LLandow - when I lived near there - was the Hangar full of furniture that the actor Lesley Phillips part owned.

On cleaning up stainless and other parts - a proposal from my father in law that I have also tried is Spirits of Salt i.e. 18% HCl solution available from the local hardware store.

Immerse the parts in enough solution for a day or so and after the fizzing has died down - wash in plenty of clean water.

As long as the solution is not too strong the stainless and alloy comes out pristine without any muck on it. If too strong it comes out clean - but a slightly darker colour..

The HCl solution can also be used for leaning the patio afterwards...

I have tried Bilthammer and found it worked well when warm and strong.

Member for

14 years 6 months

That extinguisher was used in Mossies, Stirlings and Halifaxes among others, I am still looking for one. Won one some years ago on e-bay but the vendor had sold it on before the autction ended.

:cool:

Cees