Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aircraft still in it's WW2 paint?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdlerTag View Post
    A number of NASM's WW2 airframes are still in original paint, including the Horten IX centre-section, the He219 and Ki45 Toryu fuselages, and the complete P38J.
    And B-26 'Flak Bait' IIRC.
    I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

Comment

Good shout Firebird, thanks! To be honest, being so rare and so original, it's amazing that Flak Bait doesn't take more of a centre-stage position at NASM.

Going back to the Finnish examples I mentioned above, I have to scale-down my estimates a bit. I had thought that more of the Finnish Air Force and Finnish Aviation Museum WWII exhibits were in original paint, but after a bit more research it seems that most have been repainted. The I-16UTI at FAM, for example, only has the engine cowls in original paint. Still, in addition to the Hurri there is also the Brewster B339 wreck, and various other parts such as the Gamecock wreck and various bits of Blenheim. The 360 degree tour of the FAFM is well worth a look...

http://www.airforcemuseum.fi/flash.asp?file=2

And last but by no means least, there's the Gloster Whittle at the Science Museum, London. The undersurfaces are certainly original, although the uppers look suspiciously well polished-has the camouflage been repainted in more recent years?
      Adler Tag ("Eagle Day") 13th August 1940

Comment

Percival Proctor

Percival Proctor G-AKEX > LZ 791 still retained most it's 1944 RAF training colour scheme when it was found in Sweden 3 years ago,-- it was purchased -- & brought back to the UK for restoration to flying condition --- This was an A/C which I feel sure I might well have worked on after seeing it crash on our small airfield in Nov. 1944 when being flown by ATA pilot Monique Agarazarian (?) --- the actual paint work found was that which was applied by our firm after repairs were carried out --- even the works serial numbers could still be found in the original stencil forms. Pieces of the original fabric have been retained.
        Work on the restoration is coming on well, & this A/C is hoped to be airworthy within a year or two.
        Dustyone

Comment

Not sure whether this counts or not, but the paint on the fuselage section of IX(B) Squadron Lancaster W4964 WS-J at Newark is original.
          Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
          Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

A tragedy.

All WW1 original colours.

Then go to this website
            http://www.thomasgenth.de/html/lvg_c_vi.html
            Last edited by sandy1000; 31st December 2010, 20:53.

Comment

AWM

From my visit last April here is the Australian War Memorial Spitfire:

AWM Spitfire. by The Guitarsmith, on Flickr

And their 109G which shows field repairs and has differently painted wings where one has been replaced:

AWM Bf-109 G-6. by The Guitarsmith, on Flickr

AWM Bf-109 detail. by The Guitarsmith, on Flickr

Me 262 A-2A 500200, which although not in wartime colours as such is still in in post-war Air Ministry test colours which in parts has been sanded through to reveal paint beneath. It's very difficult to photograph as it's hidden in a dark corner to protect the paint:

AWM Me-262 A-2a. by The Guitarsmith, on Flickr

AWM Me-262 detail. by The Guitarsmith, on Flickr

Whilst not a complete aircraft the AWM also has this soberingly marked fin from a Me-110 with 121 kills (mainly four engined heavies with a crew of around ten):

AWM Bf-110 rudder. by The Guitarsmith, on Flickr

What a fascinating thread!!
              Along the edge of this airfield, the old prop-shaft airliners stand.
              Altimeters reading zero, formless memories lingering...

theguitarsmith.com

Comment

The AWM 109.

This must be the ex Sid Marshall 109 from Sydney.

I had thought that in the process of Doug Arnold purchasing it and it being siezed by Australian customs as an illegal export it had ben painted silver...to perhaps resemble a P-51.

So is that original paint we see today?

JDK?

Mark
                "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

Check out the link in post #5 Mark... "This is the last example in the world still displaying its original camouflage and markings: a 1944 day-fighter scheme, with variations resulting from service repairs and replacements."

Cheers
                  Peter D Evans
                  LEMB Administrator

Comment

I was intrigued by the Me110 fin at the AWM and thought I recognised it as the fin I had photgraphed at the IWM Lambeth in 1958 as a schoolboy.

Closer study shows similarity in style but not quite the same at the peak of the swastika.

Anybody know the story and where this item is now?

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter D Evans View Post
                      The Bf109G-6/U4/R3, WNr.163824 on display at the Australian War Memorial is still wearing its wartime scheme... Here is a link to the museum's web page on this example...

Cheers
                      Peter D Evans
                      LEMB Administratpr
                      Yes I read that:-

This is the last example in the world still displaying its original camouflage and markings: a 1944 day-fighter scheme, with variations resulting from service repairs and replacements

...and I also remember at the time the dismay and sacrilege that it had been painted silver.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark12 View Post
                        I was intrigued by the Me110 fin at the AWM and thought I recognised it as the fin I had photographed at the IWM Lambeth in 1958 as a schoolboy. Closer study shows similarity in style but not quite the same at the peak of the swastika. Anybody know the story and where this item is now?
                        There are two rudders, one at the IWM and one at the AWM, and according to The Preserved Axis Aircraft website, they both have 121 kills. One would say that they were from the same Bf110G-4 coded 3C+BA used by Major Heinz-Wolfgang Schnaufer...

Cheers
                        Peter D Evans
                        LEMB Administrator
                        Last edited by Peter D Evans; 1st January 2011, 18:39. Reason: Bf110 coded added

Comment

Peter,

Thanks for that.

Would that be normal to paint the score on both rudders of the same 110?

Mark

Comment

No probs Mark... with regards both rudders being marked with kills, it appears so although I can't say with 100% certainty. I see what I can find out...

Cheers
                            Peter D Evans
                            LEMB Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Mark V View Post
                              The Spitfire Mk 1 in the IWM is not at all representative of its 'original' paint - it was re-finished in 1944. However it is extremely interesting in its own right as representative of a later wartime scheme, complete with comprehensive (although not factory applied) stenciling. The same goes for the Mk 1 in the Chicago museum.
                              The JU-87 which hangs with the Mk 1 at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, does it still wear it's original paint?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Kalina View Post
                                The JU-87 which hangs with the Mk 1 at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, does it still wear it's original paint?
                                It's thought to be largely in original paint, although some repair/restoration work had to be done on it a few years ago after it was damaged while being moved. Good photo's over on wix:

http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...10829&start=30
                                Adler Tag ("Eagle Day") 13th August 1940

Comment

[QUOTE=AdlerTag;1682975]It's thought to be largely in original paint, although some repair/restoration work had to be done on it a few years ago after it was damaged while being moved.QUOTE]

Thanks for the information and photo link.
                                  This seems to confirm what Chicago museum staff told me, which was that other than a small repair to one wing tip the plane's condition was original.
                                  I had seen the Stuka at the museum shortly after one wing tip was damaged while the plane was being lowered for cleaning.
                                  The damage appeared minor and was, I heard, later repaired by the EAA.
                                  The plane was then displayed for a period at the EAA museum.

Comment

original paint

P39 being preservd in Buffalo.
                                    http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/englis.../p39/index.htm

Hurricane Z5252 stored in Moscow
                                    http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/englis...5252/index.htm

Bf109 E-7 3523 5./JG5
                                    In Chino

Ju88A-1 0119 in Norway
                                    http://www.ju88.net/

He111 recovered from Norway for DTM Berlin
                                    http://www.ju88.net/
                                    Ju88 A-5 recoverd from Norway for DTM

P47 'Dottie Mae' (albeit she is undressed - natural!).
                                    www.alliedfighters.com

regards

MS

Comment

Sid Marshall's hangar at Bankstown

There is a Spitfire behind the Auster.
                                      Last edited by sandy1000; 2nd January 2011, 01:26.

Comment

Syd Marshall's hangar

The Bf109G-6 was caught by Customs being illegally exported from Aus (probably by some unscrupulous Brit ) and is now the one displayed at the AWM.

The Spit just visible in the last pic is MV154, Spit VIII, which ended up in UK in 1979 to become a flyer G-BKMI.

Comment

AWM 109

According to Michael Nelmes "A Unique Flight" which details the history of all of the AWM aircraft the 109 was sold in 1963 to a member of the Illawarra Flying club at Bankstown by the AWM for 100GBP, then it passed to Sid Marshall and hung in his hanger, as shown above, until he died. It was then sold on to a "British aircraft collector" on 1979 reputedly for $100000. In the notes on the colour scheme it mentions:

"Prior to its export attempt the aircraft was coated in a plastic protective film which was painted silver, apparently to pass it off as a Mustang. Most of this was removed by the time it came to the museum."

The Spitfire in the Marshall hanger looks to me to be a Mark VIII/IX, with a four bladed prop, six exhaust stubs and no trace of code numbers. Is this the Col Pay/Temora example? The AWM have displayed theirs since 1955. The Japanese aircraft appears to be an Oscar.

Like I said, fascinating thread!
                                          Along the edge of this airfield, the old prop-shaft airliners stand.
                                          Altimeters reading zero, formless memories lingering...

theguitarsmith.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X