For Those In Peril - Ealing Studios 1944

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 3 months

I had the pleasure of watching the dvd release of this film the other day. I'd forgotten just how good it was, but then it's probably forty years since I last watched it - it used to crop up on daytime television every so often back in the day.

The dvd version is a super clean copy and I've taken a number of screenprints to show some of the action: you get Spitfires, Bostons, Mustangs and the lovely old Walrus of course. In fact the Walrus scenes provided some of the highlights for me. The Walrus is scrambled from Shoreham (no doubt about the location in this film!) and performs a tight turn, just about over the spot where Andy held the aerojumbles for all those years, before proceeding out to rescue a downed Boston crew who have unfortunately ditched in a minefield close to the French coast. There is a sad outcome for the Walrus and crew...

The rescue is then down to the crews of two ASR launches, backed up by slower but more heavily armed RN boats.

Lots of foam, spray, fog, smoke and firing ensues, with general mayhem all round until the downed crew are safely aboard. The hero of the story - the staunch ASR skipper - gets it and others are wounded but eventually the survivors arrive back in England in time for tea and medals.

The dialogue is sometimes clunky and the deliveries are a bit wooden in the way of those wartime "docu-dramas" but it's still a great film and I highly recommend it if you've not already seen it. The dvd seems to be widely available at present.

Here are the screenprints. Can anyone find the present day location of the Walrus over the High Street in Google Street View?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036834/

Original post

Member for

16 years

Google photo East Street
Ian

Attachments

Member for

16 years 3 months

Well done that man! East Street Shoreham it is, and it's still a Nat West Bank!

Looking at Google Maps, the location is pretty much where the Walrus is seen heading as it departs the airfield. I wonder if it was filmed by two camera crews in one take?

Member for

16 years 9 months

Very interesting. Thanks for posting