Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 1 month

Very impressive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11107561

Original post

Member for

14 years 2 months

Think there is an entire hour of it tomorrow night on BBC4 before First Light starting at 8.

Member for

20 years 6 months

It would be really cool if the 4+ threads on this specific topic* could be merged, to the benefit of all.

*BBC's take on the 24 hr Wellybuild film.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I can only see two, and I've closed the other one!

Bruce

Member for

20 years 6 months

I can only see two, and I've closed the other one!

The others I woz referring to were some time ago. Not to worry.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Wouldn't it just be a good idea to have a single sticky thread that just lists all the historical aviation related stuff that is due on any tv or radio channel but just limit it to posting up program details and times/dates without the chatter?

I saw two and must confess I completely forgot about the old thread JDK, sorry :rolleyes:

Member for

20 years 6 months

I saw two and must confess I completely forgot about the old thread JDK, sorry :rolleyes:

Just to be clear, I wasn't waggling a finger, just getting all the same into one place might help.

Member for

14 years 8 months

Wellington LN 514. 24hr to build.

Just watched a interesting program of life building a wellington bomber during the war through the eyes of women workers in the factory.

LN514 was built in just under 24hrs from start to finish & they saw it take to the sky what happened in it's service career?

Member for

16 years 7 months

Well that was fantastic! I did wonder how the BBC would turn the 24hr production of a bomber into a 1hr programme. It used excellent (and mostly relevant for a change!) footage plus looked into the wartime life of factory workers and aircrew alike, and appeared to be well researched.
Even Max Hastings was amiable and it was very moving at the end.

Member for

19 years

Went to No 19 OTU at Kinloss and was eventually scrapped in 1948, quite possibly at the MU on the other side of Hawarden airfield from where she was built.

Member for

19 years 2 months

19 OTU? They flew Whitleys. I'd have thought 20 OTU just down the road at Lossie.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Be nice to see the original documentary in its entirety

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think we did see all, or most of it.

It was an amazing programme. I hadn't set the PVR to record it and now I am kicking myself for not having done so. The insight into the relentless life that the civies lived in those days, 12 hour shifts, Eight in the morning to eight in the evening, six days a week for years. We just have no idea these days when a couple of 7pm sessions in the office make us feel we are slaving.

So sad too that the Wimpy pilot, Sgt R D 'Tiny' Cooling, died before it aired.

Moggy

Member for

15 years 7 months

That was really good, esp as they were able to find a good number of the builders.

Member for

19 years

19 OTU according to A-B serials. The unit started to re-equip with Wellingtons in Aug 1944 so maybe it went into storage for a while? Or else some of its history is missing.

Member for

20 years 2 months

I think we did see all, or most of it.

So sad too that the Wimpy pilot, Sgt R D 'Tiny' Cooling, died before it aired.

Moggy

Yes, I agree Moggy. It was a sad end to a very interesting programme.

Blue skies...

Member for

19 years 2 months

Yeah, I guess it could have hung around at an MU for a year or so before being issued when 19 OTU began to re-equip.

Member for

18 years 8 months

If we can build brand new Steam locos (Tornado) then we could do it to a Wellington ?? :confused:

Member for

20 years 6 months

Be nice to see the original documentary in its entirety

I thought that's what was on You Tube? Certainly looks like it.

Member for

19 years 10 months

YouTube link

I thought that's what was on You Tube? Certainly looks like it.

Could you post a link please James?

TaVM, D

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ive just listened to this on BBC4

I unashamedly wept through most of it to be honest