Avro Shackleton WR963 Project Thread

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 2 months

Excellent work. Knew you'd fettle it! :)

Member for

14 years 5 months

One of our newer members (Lee Thorn) has been hard at work starting a new website for WR963, so you can find out all about what we're doing on there.

It's only in its early stages, but if you fancy a peek, it can be found at

www.shackleton963.co.uk

Regards,

Ric

Member for

20 years

Web site is looking very nice, it should be a good advert for the project. Always good to have focal point for anyone interested in the aircraft. Web sites are so good for giving information and generating interest. Can I just ask that the text is either passed through a spell checker or someone reviews it, there are a number of errors and it detracts from the message. Please accept that remark as it it meant, not critical but intended to be helpful.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Constructive criticism is always appreciated, so don't worry Peter. We had noticed a few errors, and it's getting checked and corrected.

Regards

Ric

Member for

16 years 11 months

could always put my pic under the "honourary useless southern member" :(

Spot on website though mate :)

Member for

14 years 5 months

I haven't seen your resignation in writing yet - and thats assuming I accept it.. (You got me into this, so if I stay, you stay! :dev2: )

E-mail me a picture that you're comfortable with and we'll put you on there mate. You're still part of things however much you protest.

Ric

Member for

16 years 11 months

lmao, dont worry about it Rich, wouldnt wanna ruin the website with my ugly mug :diablo:

Member for

14 years 5 months

Sat 8 January

Today was our first day back working on WR963. We were quite happy to find that she has made it through all the bad weather with minimal water ingress into the aircraft - fuselage, structures or fuel tanks. The cleaning and sealing has started to pay off.

Thankfully the rain held off for us, though it was cold.. very cold! Suggestions were made that we should rename our little group as "Brass Monkey Flight". :D

The object of todays exercise was to finish up the work started on No 4 engine just before Christmas. The oiling system was checked and tested again to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. Sure enough it works! While we had the cowlings off we checked and filled the hydraulic tank, before refitting everything and tightening it all up. We have a small amount of lock wiring to do but No 4 engine is more or less ready to run.

Next week will see the same work done on No 3, with the intent being to have one side prepared for running. Its been a long job so far, but we have resolved to put all effort possible into things as this year is WR963's 20th in preservation.

Regards,

Rich

Member for

16 years 6 months

Rich, after a period of remaining dormant, before you start the engines on WR963 are there any preparations that need to be done to them first or is it a case of 'turn the key and cross yer fingers'?

Member for

14 years 5 months

I'll have to ask the engineers further on this one to be sure. The engines have been getting a lot of attention.

Pre-oiling was always the problem - the new set-up and electric pumps now take care of that now though. The engines have been regularly pulled through by hand several revolutions while they have been dormant to try and avoid anything sticking. The plugs have all been cleaned, and the oil is new.

One of the last jobs is to test the priming pumps. We had a little scare at the back end of last year when we found water in the fuel, but that has been drained all the way up to the manifold at the back of the engine.

Other than that I think it's a case of plugging in the ground power and seeing if she will wake up.. No 4 was turned on the starter this afternoon and spun over nicely with no nasty noises, and no leaks. No fire cover and a lack of trained crew meant we couldn't go any further, unfortunately.

Regards,

Rich

Member for

16 years 6 months

Ok thanks Rich. Just wondered if you ever had problems with cylinders firing through damp plugs etc. My knowledge is only based on car engines!

Rob.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Have you replaced the damaged cams yet?

Member for

16 years 11 months

nope, cams havent been changed

Member for

16 years 11 months

Fuel Priming Pumps

We have a few bagged fuel priming pumps for the Shack which may be available.

G

Member for

24 years 3 months

No point in doing any running on old cams - once the chrome is through, and the cams are damaged, they will continue to wear regardless of how much oil they are getting. Short step to a big fire then.....

Bruce

Member for

14 years 5 months

I can't make any claim to be an engineer - as I'm not - but what I was told when I last asked whether we were going ahead with swapping them out, was that several of them while worn were within limits, and the worst one was going to an overhaulers for regrinding.

What the current situation is regarding them I'll have to ask about; but I don't like the idea of fire at all. :eek:

Regards

Rich

Member for

14 years 5 months

From the last report on the situation from our engine men:

"adjustments revealed little of no wear on Nr 1 and Nr 4 and some cams of these did not even require adjustment. But Nr 3 is in poor shape with extensive wear and corrosion. It is intended to dress-out the wear and re-polish where the corrosion has pitted and scored the cam lobes. This is obviously not a permanent fix , but advice from several sources is that with improved oil priming, more careful running regime at correct operating temperature and above all some fresh oil in the tanks, our very limited annual running time may allow us to continue running even Nr 3 for a year or two. Ultimately we could consider either a double camshaft change or even an engine change as a fix."

I'll let you all know as soon as I can if this is still the case.

Regards,

Rich

Member for

19 years 7 months

I can't make any claim to be an engineer - as I'm not - but what I was told when I last asked whether we were going ahead with swapping them out, was that several of them while worn were within limits, and the worst one was going to an overhaulers for regrinding.

What the current situation is regarding them I'll have to ask about; but I don't like the idea of fire at all. :eek:

Regards

Rich

IIRC the photos posted previously illustrated significant erosion on at least one of the lobes of the cam, such that the unworn corner of the lobe was quite visibly higher than the abraded new profile..... :eek:

Would appear to be self defeating to run the engine with a source of self dosing particulate grinding media contaminating that expensive new oil? Especially when you have new cams in the spares stores.

Member for

14 years 5 months

I remember the photo, it was taken of No 3 when me and Ben were stripping the cam covers off.

I don't know how many good cams we have... I think there is a reluctance to split up the last few good inhibited engines in store, as they would likely be the only source of them.

As I say, I'll have to try and clarify better what is going to happen. You guys want to know - I want to know - so bear with me, I will find out.

Regards,

Rich

Member for

15 years 11 months

No point in doing any running on old cams - once the chrome is through, and the cams are damaged, they will continue to wear regardless of how much oil they are getting. Short step to a big fire then.....

Bruce

Well, far be it from me to be a pendant.... but I'm sure you meant to say case hardening , rather than chrome.....:D