Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avro Shackleton WR963 Project Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob68
    Rank 5 Registered User

The upcomimg event on the 02nd December, do you know what time the engine run will be as event closes at 17.00hrs and would like to see run in the dark?

thanks

Comment

• Phil_w
      Rank 3 Registered User

Originally posted by Rob68 View Post
      The upcomimg event on the 02nd December, do you know what time the engine run will be as event closes at 17.00hrs and would like to see run in the dark?

thanks
      Hi Rob

I believe I've messaged you on another forum but just in case -

Engine start will be 4.15pm and the run will last for half an hour. You should get to see her run in almost daylight, dusk and near dark.

We're keeping an eye on the forecast and have our fingers crossed. Have you got your ticket?

Regards,
      Phil

Comment

• Rob68
        Rank 5 Registered User

You did. Thank you

Comment

• merlin85
          Rank 4 Registered User

Well this thread is finally making pleasing reading at last! Congratulations on sorting your PR issues out, Phil_W you seem to be doing a much better job than your brother, who seemed rather snappy to say the least. Hopefully the project will settle down now. Just a thing, the NDT kickstarter you did, obviously you have raised the funds, am I right to presume they are still safe and the NDT is to go ahead?
          Again, well done on sorting out the mess!

Paul Ward.

Comment

• DonClark
            Toujours propos

Merlin85: "a much better job than your brother, who seemed rather snappy to say the least"

Uncalled for and unjustified personal reflection, Sir, given your preceding intemperate and ill-informed remarks (which stand in stark contrast to your 2016 queries).

To his credit, as he had in 2016, RichW_82 again gave full replies to your own latest remarks (and then to others attacks).
            All with considerable restraint, given the ill-natured and ill-informed remarks.

Likewise to his credit, Phil_w has continued the task of putting out useful information.
            All in the name of preserving one aircraft in private not-for-profit ownership by unpaid volunteers.

RichW_82 and Phil_w are both unknown to me. The sober content of their posts and of the project site is enough for me: from a land far away I'll support the Avro Shackleton WR963 Project as and when I can, wishing them every success and continued, constructive support.

Phil:
            May I suggest adding a link to the WR963 project main site as part of your board id signature?
            Not Facebook. This one perhaps, as it may help with membership/donations:
            http://www.avroshackleton.co.uk/
            Last edited by DonClark; 25th November 2017, 23:43. Reason: sp grammar punct locn
            Don Clark
            www.211squadron.org

Comment

• K5054NZ
              Rank 5 Registered User

Thank you DonClark, when I read that post it took a lot of restraint for me (just a fan and completely unconnected) to not respond. That whole business was about the most unpleasant experience I've ever had on this forum.
              "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Comment

• Phil_w
                Rank 3 Registered User

Sorry I've been quiet for a while, it doesn't mean we've not been busy...quite the opposite. Thank you everyone for the continued support, both on here and other forums and social media, it does mean a lot to us all.

DonClark - Thank you for the tip with the signature, it should be sorted now. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm not amazingly tech savvy, so between the updates, facebook groups and website I'm in over my head but learning fast.

So...what have we been up to? The answer is a lot of planning for next year, and a lot of preparation for next weeks dusk run. Tired of problems this past year we've been checking and rechecking everything before next week, and even conducted a short 4 engine run last weekend. I'm pleased to report everything went fine, a couple of small snags, one being a recurring oil weep on the number 4 engine which we'll keep an eye on and fix over winter. It won't affect next weeks run though.

My lovely wife taking a "selfie" with WR963 during our test run...you won't see me, I was sat at the engineers panel.

New astrodome cover with new bungees.

We also had the pleasure of giving several local air cadets a tour of the aircraft inside and out, we try to do as many tours as possible throughout the year as it helps get our name out there, and the more people that hear about us the better chance we have...plus we all like talking about '963!

Cadets after their tour of WR963

We're still working on the covers which is turning into a bigger task than we liked, but the bungees on most of them have been replaced and before we leave next week they will all be in place, keeping '963 as dry as possible.

With regards to NDT testing, yes it will be going ahead. We have the money for it, all we're waiting for is available indoor space to conduct it. It will come in time though and as soon as I know something I'll be sure to post up and let everyone know.

We have some big plans for 2018, that I can't really go in to right now...but they're really going to be good. 2018 is going to be a fun year, and we'll be attempting a few things we've not done before...

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                  NAM volunteer-Plugmeister

Great update Phil_W and keep up the great work.

You ought to try and factor in some sort of presence (display stand or similar) at the Shackleton Boys book launch on 1st & 2nd September 2018 that is being hosted at Newark Air Museum; is it best top contact Rich directly or is it something that you might run with?
                  Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                  Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• Phil_w
                    Rank 3 Registered User

It's definitely something we'd be interested in attending, we'll have to contact Newark Air museum and see if they'd be ok with it. I believe we usually contact Howard Heely? If you want to PM me or email at 963shackav@mail.com with any details we'll be sure to sort something out.

Comment

• richw_82
                      White Knuckle Airlines

Phil, TO23 is the man himself.

Howard - Phil and Dave (our Dad) are the ones running things now, I just stick my oar in from time to time.

Comment

• David Burke
                        Rank 5 Registered User

'Oar' ? surely your prop blade from time to time !

Comment

• richw_82
                          White Knuckle Airlines

Both are big and paddle shaped, so I guess so!!

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                            NAM volunteer-Plugmeister

Sorted off-board gents; hopefully your group will be able to attend next September - good luck with forthcoming the ground-run and keep up the good work!
                            Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                            Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• me109g4
                              Rank 5 Registered User

Would it be a possibility to live stream the Dec 2 engine run on Facebook or similar? just a thought. I have no idea if that is challenging or even possible.

Comment

• Phil_w
                                Rank 3 Registered User

We're certainly going to give it a try, although it may be a bit dark we'll see what we can do.
                                We'll start the live stream from a few minutes before engine start, It'll be on our "return to flight" Facebook page.

Comment

• me109g4
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

That I will look forward to seeing,, being on a different continent is sometimes inconvenient,, lol

Comment

• Rob68
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

With Weather for Saturday looking interesting, will one of the hangars be open to shelter in, just in case? Do you know what time the Nimrod will run and is anything else going on besides the runs? Thanks

Comment

• Phil_w
                                      Rank 3 Registered User

Hi Rob,
                                      Unfortunately no hangars will be open, they're not our property and we have very limited access to them. We do have some indoor space in our cabin should the weather turn bad, however the weather forecast is looking more promising than it did so fingers crossed.
                                      Gates open at 12.00 and close at 17.00, Nimrod will run at approximately 15.15 and WR963 at 16.15
                                      Nothing other than the two dusk runs is happening on site today.
                                      Cheers,
                                      Phil Woods

Comment

• Consul
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

“......We'll start the live stream from a few minutes before engine start, It'll be on our "return to flight" Facebook page.”

Great sight and sound - enjoyed via your broadcast - brilliant. Well done all.
                                        "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Comment

• Phil_w
                                          Rank 3 Registered User

So...who watched the live feed then?

Saturday was amazing. A busy day but very productive and a great way to end the season.

We got to Coventry early, hopeful for a cold clear day so we could methodically work through the list of jobs needing to be done. Unfortunately we were greeted by drizzle. Freezing cold drizzle. First tasks were the usual safety and maintenance checks, spinner locks, control locks, check for water in the fuel, rotate the props by hand once to drain the water from the spinners, remove the wheel and other covers...all little jobs but all essential. We then moved onto checking the priming pumps and booster coils, these have let us down in the past and caused a 3 or even 2 engine run, something we didn't want to happen.

Everything checked out fine, so while the shop was getting tidied ready for our guests, we waited for the fuel to arrive. We took on around 700 litres or 100LL Avgas, plenty for this run and the next couple. We calculate fuel figures based on what is left in the tanks to ensure even fuel loads in the tanks, it helps while she's sitting to keep the weight even. After priming the injectors there wasn't much to do other than talk to our guests and wait for Dusk.

We were very lucky to meet Roger Steggall, an ex crew member who had clocked up over 56 flights on WR963, so listening to his stories was certainly a privilege, we hope to have him back early next year to take his old seat during a run.

After the Nimrod shut down, it was our turn. 30 minutes of Noise, and a very sweet running Shackleton. slightly grumpy on Number 1 and 4 engines, but they soon smoothed out and the run couldn't have been better.

The last picture we took before leaving -

So what next for 963? Not much this year. We'll be back down at Coventry on the 16th, fitting all the covers and making sure she's safe and sound, ready for our Christmas break...then it's off to the Oak at Baginton for a well deserved beer with all the crew.

We have big plans for 2018, things we've never done before! I don't want to ruin the surprise so you'll have to wait and see in the new year, but it's sure going to be fun!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X