Fighter Factory FW-190 Comes Alive!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

Virginia based Fighter Factory/Military Aviation Museum's FW-190 (modern f/s flyable replica) had its first engine run last Friday! Check out the Meier Motors website for video and photos at http://www.meiermotors.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89%3Afw190a8yagen&catid=25%3Aaircraft-&lang=de&Itemid=18

Somebody seems to have got soot and oil on my nice new paint job :eek:

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Great news thanks for posting!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Many thanks for the pointer Mark... she looks fantastic in that paint-scheme too! :)

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator

Member for

20 years 8 months

Excellent stuff! :)

Member for

20 years 7 months

:D Beautiful ,sounds fantastic.Well done to them all.:)

Member for

20 years 10 months

Many thanks for the pointer Mark... she looks fantastic in that paint-scheme too! :
Thanks Peter - just that naughty swastika to add (but not while she resides in Germany :eek:)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Will she fly in Germany or will she wait until she hits the States for the momentous occasion?

Member for

20 years 8 months

She'll fly in Germany.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Seem to remember reading somewhere that Flug Werk made 20 kits of the FW-190. Is there any list of where they all went? If that number is right there must be a lot of them in hiding or being rebuilt as we speak. Given that so few fly so far.

T J

Member for

20 years 8 months

I think I read somewhere recently that an organisation in New Zealand has acquired one - possibly the prototype??

Member for

24 years 3 months

Most pleasing to see a good deal of original kit being included in this one - particularly the push me pull you flap system!

Bruce

Member for

20 years 10 months

Thanks Peter - just that naughty swastika to add (but not while she resides in Germany :eek:)

Yes indeed, I had noticed it was missing... Not wishing to encourage thread drift, I also see that they've concealed the markings on the HA-1112, WNr.234 (former G-AWHT of “Battle over Britain fame) which is also there. For those interested, there are some fantastic images of it being worked on here :)

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator

Member for

19 years 8 months

new built FW190's

There seems to be good communication between the LBA (Luftfahrt Bundesamt) and FlugWerk & the new owners.
Looking forward to seeing it in the air.
It seem that other aviation authorities in Europe have a different opinion about aviation than another one does!

Member for

20 years 8 months

If I remember correctly from previous discussions, the CAA drew up a list of recommendations for the then-owner of the former Duxford-based '190 to allow it to fly in this country...

Member for

15 years 2 months

Virginia based Fighter Factory/Military Aviation Museum's FW-190 (modern f/s flyable replica) had its first engine run last Friday! Check out the Meier Motors website for video and photos at http://www.meiermotors.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89%3Afw190a8yagen&catid=25%3Aaircraft-&lang=de&Itemid=18

Somebody seems to have got soot and oil on my nice new paint job :eek:

Did you paint this one?

Very nice, what type of gun do you use?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Good Vibs - Indeed differing authorities in Europe have differing opinions on aircraft. A good example of this is the operation of Cessna 337's which is somewhat curtailed in Germany due to noise abatement -something that doesn't
happen in the U.K. As for the Flug Werke FW-190 - not 'new build FW190' or 'replica FW-190' as some like to refer to it -it's a new aircraft and having spent some time comparing parts of the two there is enough difference for me to fully understand the CAA's position.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Did you paint this one?

Very nice, what type of gun do you use?

Thanks, like most of my projects its a collaboration - the upper and lower base colours were applied by Meier Motors, I then did the mottling, crosses, numbers, yellow/chequer nose, markings and stencilling. I used a de Vilbiss GTI for the large stuff and a Sata detail gun for the stencilling.
She'll fly in Germany.
She will indeed - maybe even come over to the UK too :)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Seem to remember reading somewhere that Flug Werk made 20 kits of the FW-190. Is there any list of where they all went? If that number is right there must be a lot of them in hiding or being rebuilt as we speak. Given that so few fly so far.

T J

Here we go for the European based examples - corrections and remarks welcome.

FW 190A

990000: Gunter Leonhardt / Luftfahrtmuseum, Laatzen-Hannover, Germany • Static display.
990001: Murray Miers / The Chariots of Fire Fighter Collection, Gammelsdorf, Germany • 1st prototype flown in July 2004, under upgrading with Flug Werk GmbH. To be based at Omaka, New-Zealand and currently registered as D-FWWC.
990002: Jerry Yagen / The Fighter Factory / Military Aviation Museum, Bremgarten, Germany • Under final assembly to fly with MeierMotors GbR. Last known civil registration: D-FWKC. To be based at Suffolk, VA, USA.
990007: Luftwaffenmuseum, Gatow AB, Berlin, Germany • Static display.
990009 (980554): private owner (ex-Tom Blair / Spitfire Ltd, Duxford, UK), Bremgarten, Germany • Under assembly to fly with MeierMotors GbR. Last known registration: G-FWAB.
990013: Christophe Jacquard, Dijon-Darois, France • Airworthy, 1st flight on 09 May 2009. Registered as F-AZZJ.
990017: private German owner, Manching, Germany • Airworthy, 1st flight on 19 Feb 2009. Registered as D-FWJS.
Unknown: kit sold in early 2010 to Sweden, Gammelsdorf, Germany • under assembly to fly with Flug Werk GmbH. No known civil registration.

FW 190D

990003: Flug Werk GmbH, Gammelsdorf, Germany • for sale (?), registration D-FWSC reserved.
990006 (210102): Eric Vormezeele, Brasschaat, Belgium • Under assembly to fly with Jumo engine.

Member for

15 years 3 months

As Bruce said, the use of original kit is most pleasing in this one, when I imagined these Flugwerk kits this is what I hoped most operators would do. The interesting thing is that 99% of german instruments are readily avaliable and cheaper than their modern day counterparts! (ok well perhaps not after they've been serviced but you get my point!) Good work on the paint Mark!

Member for

24 years 3 months

yes, most of the German kit is relatively easy to find. The technology in use in the 1940's has to be seen to be believed; it is streets ahead of anything the allies had. (Ignoring for a moment the somewhat dubious production practices).

Having been brought up on a diet of Mosquito, Spitfire and Mustang, it was quite a shock to see just how advanced the German stuff was. Much of our postwar technology was lifted directly from the Germans.

Bruce

Member for

14 years 5 months

She will indeed - maybe even come over to the UK too :)

Oh you tease.

Looks brilliant! :cool: