Importing airframes from mainland Europe (EU)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 10 months

Hi All,

NEAM have a chance of a Starfighter currently stored in Europe (NL). We've brought in airframes from abroad in the past, but this was a few years ago so there’s probably much more paperwork involved. Does anyone have information that can assist here?

Specific to the F104 can anyone tell us the point of balance and dimensions when dismantled i.e. nose cone and wings off

Thanks in anticipation
Dave

Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

.........Specific to the F104 can anyone tell us the point of balance and dimensions when dismantled i.e. nose cone and wings off.......Dave

No, but it'll all fit inside a C.130 if that's any help :)

Roger Smith.

Member for

21 years

I think as it's all within the EU it counts as 'Free Circulation' so it should be quite easy. Certainly no import licence is required, I have asked that question of the BERR in the past. You should be able to get a freight agency to do the import paperwork for you.

Member for

18 years 2 months

IIRC it can also depend on the original country of manufacture i.e. inside or outside Europe and this can influence the paperwork requirements.

Member for

14 years 11 months

Dutch F-104s were built in The Netherlands, under a contract by Fokker.

Member for

18 years 2 months

That should simplify the situation.

There could also be a difference in what paperwork is required depending on whether the airframe is being purchased, donated or loaned.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I've never had much difficulty in moving airframes around Europe - including a CASA (Ju) 352, (in and out of UK), a Norseman (likewise!) and various others.

Bruce

Member for

18 years 2 months

Sorry if I’ve given the impression of difficulties, as that wasn’t intended. It’s just that over the years my personal experiences have been very different with the various projects that I’ve facilitated.

Safir (1982) – Disagreement with local HMRC (IIRC called Customs & Excise in 1982) employee in the Guard Room at RAF Waddington (Wing and a Prayer).

Draken (1994) – Carnet and fee lodged with the Local Chamber of Commerce due to airframe originally being manufactured outside EU (at time of transaction).

Viggen (2006) – Long Term Cultural Loan, with End User Certificate being drawn up.

Plus NAM’s archived dealings with F100, T33 and Mystere acquisitions in 1976/7 and current projects also showing some possible different requirements. :D