Tim Moore Awarded HAA Conrod Trophy

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

News release from the HAA. A well deserved award IMHO to one of the 'quiet heroes' of aircraft restoration:

TIM MOORE AWARDED PRESTIGOUS 2010 HAA “CONROD TROPHY”

“This award isn’t in recognition of a single aircraft restoration, but of years of work in historic aviation which has seen more than sixty amazing aeroplanes take to the air. If anyone deserves this trophy it is Tim Moore.”

Aircraft restorer Tim Moore received the Historic Aircraft Association’s prestigious Conrod Trophy at the annual meeting of the association at Old Warden on Sunday 21st March.

The award was made in recognition of close to three decades of aircraft restoration by Tim and his team, which has since 1982, seen more than sixty rare and historic aircraft emerge from the SkySport Engineering workshops in Bedfordshire. Recent projects include the restoration of an iconic WW1 Bristol Fighter and the 1930s Hawker Demon biplane which made its display debut in 2009.

The Conrod Trophy was originally presented to the HAA by the Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight to recognise outstanding contributions to the preservation and safe operation of Historic Aircraft. Previous recipients have been the RN Historic Flight; Andy Sephton, Chief Pilot of the Shuttleworth Trust; Squadron Leader Paul Day of the BBMF; Elly Sallingboe, for her work in keeping the B17 Flying Fortress “Sally-B” in the air and to Peter Vacher for his restoration of Hawker Hurricane Mark I, R4118, a unique survivor of the Battle of Britain.

It was presented last year to Guy Black of Retrotec for their dedication to the highest standards of authenticity and craftsmanship in their restoration of aircraft. Perhaps typically, the Conrod Trophy was returned this year after a painstaking overhaul, including a shiny new plaque listing the previous recipients!

“I’m delighted to be able to present the award to Tim” said HAA President, Air Marshal (retd) Cliff Spink. “This award isn’t in just recognition of a single aircraft restoration, but of years of work in historic aviation which has seen some amazing aeroplanes take to the air.

“Who can forget the sound of the Nieuport N28 flown at Old Warden by Stuart Goldspink, or the beautiful Sopwith Dove reproduction, again flown at Old Warden. In 2006, many remember three Bristol Fighters airborne, once more over Old Warden. Tim co-ordinated the arrangements that led to an evening that those present will forever treasure. In typical Moore fashion, Tim was unnoticed at the back of the crowd, gaining pleasure from their reaction to the sight and sound of the trio. If anyone deserves this trophy it is Tim Moore.”

Further information on the Historic Aircraft Association can be gained via www.haa-uk.aero

Original post

Member for

15 years 8 months

No one I know of is more deserving of this award!

Member for

14 years 1 month

Beautiful trophy - is that the inner rod from a RR Griffon by any chance?

Member for

20 years 8 months

Very well deserved and congrats to Tim. Also a big thankyou to Tim and his team for making it possible for us to see so many beautiful machines returned to flight.

Member for

24 years 2 months

No one I know of is more deserving of this award!

I could not have said it better!!!

Congratulation Tim, to you AND your team.

Regards,
Sigurjon