The Forum Effect

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 6 months

Looking through Nashios thread asking about who would like to see the shackleton fly prompted me to ask this question.

Is there a forum effect ?

Are any of our members involved in airshow organising, aircraft operations ect, and have you looked to the forums for opinions or advice.

I know negative comments on a private individuals actions or property do not and should not matter, as we some times see with colour schemes.

I am asking the question as part of my final assignment looks at airshow promotion. Ways to not only advertise to the enthusiasts but to adapt the show to the demands of the audience.

( I know the majority of airshow crowds are not aviation enthusiasts, this will be dealt with seperately in my assignment )

Ben

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ben.

Not an airshow organiser, nor will I ever be involved in organising an airshow, but I imagine all airshow organisers are, to a greater or lesser extent, aviation enthusiasts.But that enthusiasm has to be tempered by so many other factors. I suppose the first and largest consideration is the legality of the show. Not just the flying with respect to display authorisations, but with reference to ground safety, H & S issues, traffic management (talk to Cosford), policing, medical cover, insurances, fire cover..... I suspect the list seems endless.

It's a matter of scale and the rationale behind the show. Is it a charity event, small scale, or is it something akin to RIAT? Is it sponsored?

As to looking at forums for opinions or advice I couldn't say. It is known that a number (the majority?) of historic aircraft operators in the UK are aware of the forums but whether they are influenced by fora is impossible to say. It might be interesting for you to contact a cross section of operators for their opinions. Same with airshow organisers, see if RIAT et al are influenced by fora and then ask the same for events like the Abingdon Country Fayre, Little Gransden or the Shuttleworth displays.

Good luck with it.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

16 years 11 months

Agree with Planemike!
If you want aviation function organisers (be they old, or new - the functions that is, not the organisers!) to take any notice whatsoever of Fora posters then at least use the English language correctly. Ignorance of the English language leads the organisers to realise the poster is also ignorant - and, therefore, to be ignored!
Regretfully
Resmoroh

Member for

18 years 2 months

Ben,

You’ve raised an interesting question and as someone who is involved with organising smaller scale events, I believe that it’s important that organisers should listen to and try to respond to their ‘audience’.

Like several people about these parts I have tried to canvas views in relation to several ‘audience development’ projects for Newark – with varying degrees of success. Indeed you’ll struggle to get any funding these days without having undertaken such consultation work.

As part of this approach I’ve noticed an interesting trend within the 'enthusiast' sector.

That is, enthusiasts normally tend to be very free with their views, expect when they are asked specific questions – then they can often go quiet. That’s not highlighting anyone in particular and doesn’t always hold true; but it’s an anecdotal aside that I have become aware of in the last year or so.

Conversely, the general public or ‘ordinary visitors’ are much more forthcoming when asked specific questions and really seem to want to contribute.

P.S. I’ve responded to your question to disprove my theory! :D

Member for

18 years 2 months

Ignorance of the English language leads the organisers to realise the poster is also ignorant - and, therefore, to be ignored!

....or of foreign nationality, maybe even stretching to great lengths to come and see British airshows.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Sadly, often it seems to be the case that non native English speakers are better able to express themselves in English, both orally and in writing, than many of those for whom it is their mother tongue. Perhaps if English were taught as a language in the UK, its native speakers might have a better command of its grammar, spelling and general usage. Language should be a tool for precise expression, rapier like in its application. Sadly, but without wishing to generalise, too frequently it is employed more like a sledge hammer!

Member for

14 years 2 months

I concur with everything you say here. A few years ago I worked closely with a Swede and an Englishman from the Midlands. It was embarrassing to hear the greater command of English from the Swede and worse to read the corrections he made on the Englishman's written reports.

And I would venture to suggest that the problem is worse now than it was then. Who was it once said "Education, education, education...."?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Who was it once said "Education, education, education...."?

Vicky Pollard?

Regards,

kev35

Member for

17 years 2 months

Sadly, often it seems to be the case that non native English speakers are better able to express themselves in English, both orally and in writing, than many of those for whom it is their mother tongue. !

Then you have never heard the Dutch speaking English.
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/nederlandse-boeken/i-always-get-my-sin/1001004002618081/index.html#product_images
Btw to correct your sentence it is 'both oral and written'.

Hope this helps.
PS
Scroll through the pages, you'll get a rough idea

Member for

16 years 8 months

I have a Dutch neighbour who speaks both French and English in a manner that puts me to shame. I cannot recall anyone in the UK, when I lived there, of whom I could speak in similar fashion!

Member for

19 years 3 months

Agree with Planemike!
If you want aviation function organisers (be they old, or new - the functions that is, not the organisers!) to take any notice whatsoever of Fora posters then at least use the English language correctly. Ignorance of the English language leads the organisers to realise the poster is also ignorant - and, therefore, to be ignored!
Regretfully
Resmoroh

Wow that is a tad pompous old chap....all views, even some of those that, at first, may be deluded may be worth listening to!

Member for

18 years 2 months

I think you chaps may exaggerate things a little bit. A wide range of foreigners do speak great English, but the greater majority does not - Scandinavia and Holland included.

The problem I usually have in Great Britain is that some just have too thick of a dialect for me to understand. My wife joked when in Edinburgh that we should simply say "sorry, I only understand English".

Met one guy in a pub in Epping once. Didn't get one bloody thing of what he said. He spoke insanely fast, used twists and turns I could not possibly begin to understand. Happens half the time meeting Brits.

Yanks are easier. They speak generally slower, use English I am more used to (due to music, movies etc etc) and I think they might just use only 50% of the English vocabulary when speaking :diablo:. Nevertheless, it works for those of us which have English as a second language.

I do have to ask though, just where the hell did your education system go?

Member for

17 years 2 months

I have a Dutch neighbour who speaks both French and English in a manner that puts me to shame. I cannot recall anyone in the UK, when I lived there, of whom I could speak in similar fashion!

I have loads of Dutch neighbours, a few German, a couple of Brits, Turks, Marrroccan the list goes on.
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/nederlandse-boeken/we-always-get-our-sin-too/1001004006216044/index.html#product_images
The sequel.
These books were written by a Dutchman who used to collect all these snippets on his travels. They are in general, not made up.

Member for

18 years 7 months

I think you'll find that those behind the running of Kemble's events have their ear "very close to the ground" when it comes to forums like this....

Feedback is important as always - and updates find their way onto forums through the volunteers such as myself who get to hear hard news, and like to spread the word via the web to encourage attendance.

That's just one example that springs to mind.... :D