Where in the house do you do make aircraft bits

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 1 month

Just to kick of with a bit of fun, where in the house do you your aircraft work. My father built bits of Dart kitten G-AMJP in an up stairs room at my grandfathers in the late 1940s/50s. I have done some work on my Luton Minor in the kitchen and spare bedroom. I bought it from a guy who had the fuselarge in his living room! I am now building some new wing ribs for my Slingsby Kirby Kite in my living room, Cant do it in the kitchen as i have a 1948 Matchless 500cc motorbike being rebuilt on the table. my father is also buliding bits of the Kirby Kite in his kitchen. Its a bit cold in his workshop and my garage at the moment.
So where do you do yours?

Dave :D

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

Not me, but John Taylor built the prototype Taylor Monoplane (G-APRT, still around these days) in the front room of his house.

There's video footage somewhere of it being removed - carefully! ;)

Member for

14 years 5 months

In the spare room, furtively. Don't tell the missus. I tried weaning her with a couple of bolts bought home for cleaning, and that was 'oh, that's interesting' When I tried an engine frame it was 'put that in the back yard - or yourself. Or preferably both'.

I guess I went up in size too rapidly. I should have done it in stages, over several months.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Baby steps sir, baby steps! Not aircraft related but I slowly and surely worked up to sneaking a B series engine indoors for fettling. I went to work on the Monday quite smug at this feat and looking forward to returning and working on it in warmth and comfort over the weekend, but when I returned Friday it'd magially sneaked back out all by itself into the yard. Nothing needed be said...:(