BAC 1-11 is history.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 11 months

The type certificate has been withdrawn.:(

http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/c/doc/Design_Appro/EASA%20Certification%20Information%202010-1.pdf

Original post

Member for

15 years 5 months

According to info on the BAC111 group on Yahoo this will have no immediate effect on QinetiQ , Northrop Grumman and Saudi aircraft .... but the effect on the few other remaining (civil)aircraft in Mali or Kazakhstan is not known as yet.

Member for

18 years 11 months

That is good news then.

So you've abandoned the Saints?;)

Member for

15 years 5 months

That is good news then.

So you've abandoned the Saints?;)

Wrong part of Hampshire ,I'm from Christchurch ..Cherries territory.

Member for

14 years 5 months

I've been away for a while but why does Airbus hold the Cert? do they own BAC? and when did that happen?

Member for

15 years 3 months

Why :(? Several types dont have TCs but are still flying.

Member for

18 years 11 months

I've been away for a while but why does Airbus hold the Cert? do they own BAC? and when did that happen?

The British Aircraft Corporation became defunct in 1977. BAC proposed in 1967 to build the BAC 3-11, but the government preferred the A.300. BAC was refused development money and H.S. got the contract to build Airbus wings. BAC was nationalised later to become BAe and somewhere in between, Airbus got the type certificate. Sounds very political to me!:D

Member for

15 years

Got a 1.11 cockpit for sale,,,,,anyone interested

Member for

24 years 2 months

No certificate with RomBAC either?

Member for

15 years 1 month

The British Aircraft Corporation became defunct in 1977. BAC proposed in 1967 to build the BAC 3-11, but the government preferred the A.300. BAC was refused development money and H.S. got the contract to build Airbus wings. BAC was nationalised later to become BAe and somewhere in between, Airbus got the type certificate. Sounds very political to me!:D

the type certificates had nothing to do with 3-11/A300. They were transferred when BAe exited the civil aviation business, putting its Airbus wing-making ops into the single Airbus business. At that point all the type certificates for all British airliners produced by BAe antecedent companies passed to Airbus. This was the main reason why the UK had no influence on the Concorde withdrawal - Airbus withdrew the type certificate (at Air France's behest).

Member for

16 years 6 months

I may have got this wrong but the way I read it is that it will no longer be possible for a European operator to fly 1-11's as Airbus have withdrawn the type certificate because they are no longer prepared to provide any kind of advice or engineering support either to operators or to the authorities.
I suppose in other parts of the world it will still be possible to fly 1-11s
provided they are able to obtain a C of A in their country of registration although it may be that the C of A would not be valid for operations within Europe.
Presumerably there is also the option for Airbus to pass the responsibility for the type certificate to another company (if anyone wants it) provided EASA are happy that the new holders of the certificate could provide the required
back up.
I appreciate that the last option would be unlikely as the chances of anyone wanting to take over the type certificate are very small but am I right in thinking that in theory it would be possible for this to happen?
As the QinetiQ aircraft carry military serials I presume that they are unaffected by any rules governing civil operators.
Is there anyone out there who can confirm that either this is a fair summary of the current position or that I am way off beam and haven't understood the way type certificates and EASA operate. - Thanks