Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I wait patiently for warmer spring weather
    I have just re read Hitler's Jet Plane by Mano Ziegler.
    Mano Z was a Luftwaffe pilot/test pilot/Me163 pilot and in this book he tells the story of the development/history of the Me 262.

@ Newforest - Wrong Side of the Sky was quite a nice book as well (I think we still have a copy somewhere)

Comment

@ Newforest - Wrong Side of the Sky was quite a nice book as well (I think we still have a copy somewhere)

I agree, got that as well!
      http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

Newforest - Always helps when an author is a pilot

Do you still visit scotland sometimes btw ?

rgds baz

Comment

We were in the Outer Hebrides two years ago as I have a cousin there and were due again this year, but it looks as though a Russian cruise is taking precedence!

Comment

"All the Countries We've Ever Invaded". Stuart Laycock, The History Press, 9.99.

A truly remarkable account of GBs adventures thru' the world, thru' out the centuries. Out of almost 200 nations registered with the United Nations, 171, that is 90% have been invaded by GB.

The motivation was alternatively greed, land acquisition, competition among other powers, sometimes related to all three, rarely was it altruistic.

My concluding thought was that after all this quite amazing pursuit of power and territory spanning five or six centuries, how on earth did we ever imagine that our inclusion into the EU would ever be anything other than, eventually, a rejection by all sides of the attempt to subsume a global power into a 'mess of pottage'.

Comment

Just finished reading........" Blue is the Sky " G D Fleming. William Earl and Co...

Comment

Presumably not getting any stars on your approval rating quotient?

Comment

Ive just started to read NAMs latest publication: Station of Nations The History of RAF Balderton

What makes it more poignant was that I was privileged to meet two of the veterans who contributed to the book last Sunday at the RAF Balderton Commemoration at the museum.
                  Attached Files
                  Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                  Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

"Spitfire on my tail", Ulrich Steinhilper & Peter Osbourne, Independent Books, ISBN 978-1-8728-3679-9.

In my opinion, there is little to commend what I understood to be, was a personal account of the air battles of 1940. The narrative is introverted and exculpatory and not a lot to do with the actual air fighting. The author dusts off a few of the usual excuses to explain the complete defeat of the Luftwaffe by the RAF.

There wasn't a huge amount of "Spitfire on my tail" content to justify its purchase. I thought that I was in for a very pleasurable account of 'derring-do' between quite evenly matched young men intent on mayhem. Instead; a rather mediocre account of Herr Steinhilper's personal obsession - Herr Steinhilper.

Comment

Hi All,
                      Just finished Bronson An interesting insight to the prison system by one of the longest serving inmates with trouble not to far behind. Having read
                      the book it's obvious that he has some problem that has not been treated over the years, instead just shoved from pillar to post as each prison cannot handle him. He even tells the reader this all through from smashing himself over the head with a bottle and wanting to hurt somebody after playing in the
                      woods up until his mood swings that has resulted in his troubles.

To me he is as much of a product of the system alongside himself losing control, the systems answer was to repeatedly shove him in solitary in humane
                      conditions so is it any wonder he has gotten worse ? It's enough to drive the sanest person mad, don't get me wrong he did the crime so had to do time
                      and again he knows this as he tells the reader so he isn't stupid or insane just needs to be treated IMHO.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Three chapters in to The Secret Hunters that Ranulph Feinnes admits it may or may not be fiction ? But until the author of his found journal or his family contact him he will claim it's his work of fiction based on that journal.

In 1997 a journal is found in an all weather shelter in Antarctica. Travelling back to England the finder reads an extraordinary story of depravation, war, survival
                      and the thirst for revenge. It is the autobiography of Derek Jacobs, who as a child was an inmate of the Nazi concentration camps where he saw his mother horrifically abused, particularly by one man. Unlike his mother, he survives the camps and the death march to be brought up in Canada. There, as a young
                      man forging a career in the environment movement, he comes across the same man. The meeting unblocks the suppressed memories of his childhood and
                      Derek savours the heady flavour of revenge. He is co-opted by 'The Secret Hunters' and with dogged patience they track their prey through a web of
                      intermediaries, discovering that he and his cohorts believe they can re-establish the fascist state. On a secret mission to mine valuable minerals in the
                      Antarctic Derek confronts him. The result is deadly - but for which man?

Geoff.
                      Last edited by 1batfastard; 16th April 2018, 16:13.

Comment

Hi All,
                        Having now read The Secret Hunters and especially Mr Fienes epilogue I am tending to think that the book is based on an actual account. Some of the descriptions given I have read similar accounts or watched in documentaries, even if fictitious still a very graphic great read as there has obviously been a lot of research done to write the book even down to finding actual people mentioned.....

Just about to start:- Antarctica (1997) is a science fiction novel by American writer Kim Stanley Robinson. It deals with a variety of characters living at or visiting an Antarctic research station. It incorporates many of Robinson's common themes, including scientific process and the importance of environmental protection. (Courtesy of Wiki)

Geoff.
                        Last edited by 1batfastard; 22nd April 2018, 19:18.

Comment

Just ordered this.

I love a good bit of fantasy and make believe.

http://unmpress.com/books.php?ID=20000000008622

Click image for larger version

Name:	9781934491607.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	3680285

Name:	5ae2359505a1f.image.jpg
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	3680303

Moggy
                          Last edited by Moggy C; 30th April 2018, 19:33.
                          "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

Hi All,
                            SSGB by Len Deighton:- SS-GB is an alternative history novel by Len Deighton, set in a United Kingdom conquered and occupied by Germany during the Second World War. The novel's title refers to the branch of the Nazi SS that controls Britain. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Geoff.

Comment

Hi All,
                              The Ultimate Insult by Maria Leach. Every memorable insult that has ever been thrown by the rich and famous is included in this book. Arranged thematically, it includes sections on politics, relationships, television and sex......

Geoff.
                              Last edited by 1batfastard; 8th May 2018, 11:48.

Comment

"1864", Tom Buk-Swienty, Profile Books Ltd. 8.99.

1864 refers to the date of the last of the wars between Denmark and the Germans over possession of the two Duchies of Schleswig and Holstein that lie across the southern part of the Jutland peninsular.

German aggression, Danish intransigence and British acquiescence all played their part in this quite savage and largely unknown military conflict.

The Danes had the support of the British public but, Queen Victoria, one of whose relatives was married into the German monarchy, wished to remain on the side lines.

I wonder if anyone knows why the Danes did not claim back their territorial losses after 1918 or possibly 1945 ?

Comment

Hi All,
                                  One Foot In The Grave by David Renwick, two chapters in and it's easy to see why it was a funny series... Victor's life is far too complicated, with a python in his luggage, a body search at the airport, a dead tomcat in the freezer, the charred remains of a neighbour on the kitchen table and then there are the 200 garden gnomes.

Name:	123456.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	3680405

Geoff.

Comment

Hi All,
                                    Darwin And The Barnacle By Rebecca Stott. Pairing Charles Darwin and a rare species of barnacle as her unlikely protagonists, Stott has written an absorbing work of history, a book that guides readers through the treacherous shoals of 19th-century biology. 32 illustrations.....

Geoff.
                                    Last edited by 1batfastard; 14th May 2018, 21:08.

Comment

I was a little young when the Harry Potter phenomenon came around, but only started reading it now On book 2 atm, and I finally see why it's such a success. Going to read the books and then watch the movies!

Comment

Re. "1864", Tom Buk-Swienty, Profile Books Ltd. 8.99.

I remamber watching a TV serial based on the evnts in this book. a few years ago. I think it was made in Denmark, and dubbed into English.

It was shown on BBC4, if i remember correctly.

cabbage

Comment

Air Battle for Dunkirk - Norman Franks

Only just started reading it.
                                          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Working...
                                          X