Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stark's Command by Jack Campbell. Read Stark's War, liked it and moved on to the second of the trilogy. Book three Stark's Crusade waiting in the wings to follow. Good holiday reads or for filling slack moments at work but writing style will never win him any awards. At least he's better than Matthew Reilly who writes like a demented schoolboy.
    The mind once expanded by a new idea never returns to its original size.

Comment

just finished DREADNOUGHT by robert k massie about the build up of the fleets of germany and britain prior to WW1, a fascinating read that mostly covers the drives and characters of those that made the decisions that led to the naval arms race, 900 pages so was a long read, next up CASTLES OF STEEL by the same author about the war at sea in WW1.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	What_is_it.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	3659766
        sigpicHindsight is what you see from the tailgunner's position...

Comment

All may not be lost....!

http://www.itproportal.com/2015/01/0...-kindle-sales/
          Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

Just completed 'A Captain's Duty', by Richard Phillips, the failed attempt at the hijacking of the 'Maersk Alabama'. A good read giving light to the innermost thoughts of the Captain, not having seen the film, cannot compare the two.
            http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

What did he have to say about the allegations that he was reckless?

Comment

Armageddon in Retrospect - Kurt Vonnegut.
                Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by 27vet View Post
                  What did he have to say about the allegations that he was reckless?
                  He admitted he made a couple of decisions that, in hindsight, he would have not made, but hindsight is 20/20 isn't!
                  http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

I thought the film was excellent in itself, but I have no doubt the book is a better experience. I must track it down.
                    Charlie

Comment

The film was excellent, Tom Hanks did a good job.

Comment

Stark's Crusade. Last of the trilogy. Good concept,good story line. Downside: sometimes the dialogue seems as though Jack Campbell forgot what he wanted the characters to say and his writing style, whilst it is readable falls short of some of the better American authors.

Comment

Just finished a re-read of David Isby's "The Decisive Duel". What a writer! What a book! What a subject!

Comment

Hi All,
                            91Regal,
                            I enjoyed the book funny in places that chase character I thought but I will buy the others but many thanks for the input. Halfway through Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith excellent read although I have figured who the killer is but none the less like advertised keeps you reading, they have just made a film of the book starring Gary Oldman and Tom Hardy.

Geoff.

Comment

Hi All,
                              Nigel Mansell My Autobiography - (The Peoples Champion) - With James Allen.

Geoff.

Comment

Spitfire Aces of Northwest Europe 1944-45
                                Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Silver Spitfire by Tom Neil.

Tom Neil went thru' the B of B and was then seconded as a liason to the American 100th Fighter Wing. From that point this is an interesting story with large chunks of info about American a/c that he flew including the Mustang.

Comment

The Day The Sky Fell. Can't remember the names of the authors and can't find out without waking the other half as the book is in the bedroom and I'm in the living room. Very interesting reading though.

Comment

"Spies in the Sky", Taylor Downing, Published: Little Brown 20.

Sparkling read about aerial photo reconnaissance and interpretation at RAF Medmenham. See Historic for comment about Mosquito

Comment

Hi All,
                                        The Making Of Star Trek - Stephen E Whitfield & Gene Rodenberry - 1968.

Geoff.
                                        Last edited by 1batfastard; 4th March 2015, 19:39.

Comment

Watching War Films With My Dad - Al Murray.
                                          Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Comment

Working...
                                          X