Video Games

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just curious if we got any folks around here who enjoy video game consoles as opposed to PC's for their games.

Personally I enjoy both.....generally preferring my PC for flight games and consoles for everything else.

My newest addition is a Nintendo Wii which I managed to find in January at a local Wal-Mart one night after work. It was kinda a lucky deal, but I was elated because I had been trying to find one since it came out late last year.

Today, I obtained a copy of Blazing Angels, which is a WWII arcade shooter that was released on the Xbox 360 about this time a year ago. I've played a few levels up to this point, and I find it really enjoyable. The motion controls (where you treat one of your controller parts like a joystick) are amazing, and the missions are pretty fun as well.

I was wondering in addition to those who play video games who might own a Wii like myself?

I've been looking forward to this console for a while, and I've enjoyed it thoroughly up to this point.

Any other Wii owners here?

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

I do tend to use both, although more the consoles than anything else, since you don't have to update a console in order to run the latest software!!

Blazing Angels - cracking game. I bought an XBox (old school) just so I could play it (although I have bought more games for it since). I love the fact that it does tend to stick to historical parts of the Second World War, although retaining some different, more fanciful missions (such as the "Star Wars" run up the Norwegian fjord!), as opposed to Secret Weapons Over Normandy, which takes some liberties with history, but is still a wicked game to play.

I do have a number of flight-sim-type games for the PSX/PS2, which regularly get an airing, although some of them are practically unknown to most folks (for instance, I found the game Red Baron in the pre-owned section of my nearest GAME shop - never even seen it until then!).

I've got all the GTA titles on console format - having recently just added Vice City Stories to the list.

Still enjoy some of the old-school PSX games, too, such as Worms, Medal of Honor and two flight-sim faves, WingOver and WingOver 2. When the PS3 finally emerges (and becomes more affordable!), it'll open up the ability to play the whole spectrum of PlayStation games, from beginning to end! :D

What puzzles me is that Blazing Angels came out on the XBox, and XBox 360, yet not the PS2, despite being available on PS3. What was the point in that?! :confused:

Not that keen on Nintendo's products, to be honest, since they all seem to be rehashes of the old Super Mario Bros. titles from the days of the NES/SNES.:rolleyes: That said, I wouldn't mind the opportunity to try out some of the games on the Wii.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Don't understand why the PS2 didn't get Blazing Angels, but it didn't bother me since I've got a Wii anyways.

I don't understand what's wrong with a running franchise like Mario. It's one thing not to like the Mario series in general, but to dismiss an entire company because of one game series?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you've never owned a GameCube and thus missed out on both Metroid Prime 1 & 2....if so, then you're missing out on two of the most graphically appealing, intense, and engaging first-person shooter/adventure games out there.......

The third installment will be out on the Wii later this summer and is highly anticipated.

I have a PS2 (had a GameCube but after I got the Wii I gave it to my girlfriend as she enjoys the games I have for it and the Wii itself allows me to play my rather large GameCube collections), but I mainly got it for use as a DVD player and to play console flight games like Secret Weapons Over Normandy and the Ace Combat series. I'm glad I got it, but I'm very disappointed in the PS3 thus far.

It's too expensive, and you can get most of the same types of games on the Xbox 360 for a cheaper price.

Furthermore, the playback ability with older PS2 & PSX games doesn't work in many cases, and that has been an ongoing problem that Sony has had trouble fixing.

I likely won't get a PS3, and I think Sony's arrogance is what has ultimately caused harm to the otherwise superb idea that the PS3 represented.

I might get an Xbox 360 at some point, but none of the games really appeal to me at this point. I'll just stick with the Wii, and based on the list of upcoming games I've seen for it, I don't believe I'll have to worry about buying anything else for a while.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Don't understand why the PS2 didn't get Blazing Angels, but it didn't bother me since I've got a Wii anyways.

I don't understand what's wrong with a running franchise like Mario. It's one thing not to like the Mario series in general, but to dismiss an entire company because of one game series?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you've never owned a GameCube and thus missed out on both Metroid Prime 1 & 2....if so, then you're missing out on two of the most graphically appealing, intense, and engaging first-person shooter/adventure games out there.......

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Mario series when I was younger, but after a while they just got to be the same, over and over. At the same time, it seemed that was all Nintendo ever produced - yet more and more variations of Super Mario, Wario, Donkey Kong etc. I guess I just grew out of playing platformer games!

Having said that, I agree that the various GTA games are more or less the same, but then they have much more playability in them.

I never had a GameCube, no, but I really lost touch with the "old ways" when the first PlayStation came about - and have never really looked back since.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Having said that, I agree that the various GTA games are more or less the same, but then they have much more playability in them.

When you say playability do you just mean the fact that you can do whatever you want in a given session? If so then I would agree they are very playable, and have a lot of replability. I don't however think that they are that much more of a gaming experience than, for example The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess or even the old N64 classic Super Mario 64 (which in itself you kinda did things at your own pace). They are just different.....certainly not less in overall quality.

I never had a GameCube, no, but I really lost touch with the "old ways" when the first PlayStation came about - and have never really looked back since.

You played exactly into my point here. The two GameCube games you missed out on the most are Metroid Prime & Prime 2, which are a vastly different change from the simple run & gun (and puzzle solving to some degree) of the old side-scrolling Metroid games. They combine a first-person shooter perspective with great shooting and battle mechanics, some superb puzzles that really make you think, a great story, and graphics that will blow you out of the water (especially if you make use of a component video cable and progressive scan.

I'm not saying you should just go out and buy a Wii (it will play any GameCube game), but to write off a company because of Mario games (which is by far not their only franchise....) is doing yourself a disservice because as I mentioned, I think you're missing out on some great games.

JMHO though.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I like video games. My console of choice is the PS2, and my favourite games are Silent Hill 1,2 and 3, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo and many others.

I also play games on my PC - flight sim, Zoo Tycoon, old Spectrum games and GBA games with an emulator.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I haven't had a console since a Mega Drive. I always have had a PC for the last 12 years. A decent graphics card isn't that much more to slot into your PC. Given most have a PC these days at home, is it worth spending another 200-300 on a games console to play on a crap telly or really expensive wide, flat screen in the front room? Plus there's all this mad hype, then rush to buy the new console at knocked-up prices.

Games are generally cheaper for the PC too, in fact it's cheaper now (typically £25) than when I had an Amiga (about £30-35). Plus the games I play don't convert well to console. I got a lovely boxset yesterday for Medieval 2: Total War. I am presently having much fun t***ting the French with spears and crossbows. Apologies to all mon amis en France :D

Member for

24 years 2 months

By the way, Sonic. On Nintendo? Eh? Who'd have thought it? Monster, monster, monster...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sonic has been a pretty constant presence on Nintendo consoles since about 2001 when the Game Boy Advance and GameCube came out. The Game Boy Advance has seen three brand-new side-scrolling Sonic games entitled Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, and Sonic Advance 3. I had the first one, and it was a pretty good game with the ability to not only play as Sonic, but also as Tails, Kncuckles, or Amy.

The GameCube saw even more Sonic games with the release of both Sonic Adventure games from the now-dead Dreamcast system, although both of these games had new title names (sorta) being called Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. Both had additional levels and features (2 having a pretty decent multiplayer mode added that wasn't in the Dreamcast original) that weren't present in the earlier editions.

Another game made for not only GameCube, but PS2, and Xbox as well as Sonic Heroes which was a 3D adventure game where you controlled three players at a time (or you switched among them throughout the levels), and I had it for a while.....it was an okay game I guess.

Sonic Mega Collection came out for the GameCube, and this might be the best 30 bucks I've ever spent on a GameCube (or any system for that matter) game.......it contained the original Genesis games Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, as well as Sonic 3D blast, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Flicky, and Ristar. You could even play through Sonic 2 as Knuckles or play through Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles as if they were both one big game.

The same game was later released (presumably after great sales on GameCube) for PS2 and Xbox (and PC) as Sonic Mega Collection Plus which added a few GameGear Sonic games.

This kinda mad me mad at first as I felt like I had gotten ripped off although apparently Sega learned which system this series sells the best for because the next game, Sonic Gems Collection contained yet more old Sonic Games from GameGear, Genesis, and Sega CD, and only came out for GameCube (this game included all those that were available for Mega Collection Plus but not Mega Collection if that makes any sense).

More recently, a Sonic game called Sonic Rush (another 2D side-scroller) came out for the Nintendo DS.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both got the brand-new Sonic the Hedgehog, and the Nintendo Wii got its own version with Sonic & the Secret Rings. I haven't played the 360/PS3 game or the Wii version, but from what I understand, the Wii version is by far the best with the PS3/360 version being a very poorly rated title.

I've got a Wii so I might have to give Sonic & the Secret Rings a try.

Oh, and one last tidbit........you can also download the original Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Spinball for Genesis on the Wii's Virtual Console download service. (The same two games are also available for the GameBoy Advance.).

Here's the kicker though.........later this year, Nintendo and Sega will jointly release a game for the Wii entitled Mario & Sonic at the Olympics where you will be able to select from a wide variety of characters in both the Mario & Sonic universes to compete in various Olympic events.....

Who'd have thought it? Mario & Sonic together in one game?!! They were both rivals back when I was growing up. :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

I prefer the console myself. I've got a PS2, an XBox, and an XBox 360. The 360 gets the majority of my time, although I still turn to the PS2 for Ace Combat and the XBox for Steel Battalion. The 360 has the top console flight sim right now, Over G Fighters, and suprise suprise, it will get Ace Combat 6, and it'll get it BEFORE the PS3!

Lately I've been playing Chromehounds (think Mechwarrior but far, far better), Battlestations: Midway (way, WAY too much fun!), and Call of Duty 3 (trying to go back through the game on Veteran...failing, miserably :D ). Still get a game of Halo or Halo 2 in there too, and Over G doesn't stay unplayed for too long either.

Won't bother with a Wii, just because it doesn't have next-gen graphics, and I don't miss any of the legacy Nintendo game series anyway. I'll probably grab a PS3 eventually, just to have more HD games to play and to have a Blu-Ray DVD player. I have the XBox 360's HD DVD player, and I have to say that HD DVD is awesome. If you have an HDTV and a 360, go get one of those, it rocks. Apollo 13 in HD DVD format is amazing.

I still do throw in a PC game every once in a while. Aliens vs Predator 2 gets played every so often, but for most of my gaming I prefer the console.

Member for

24 years 2 months

If you have a 360 don't waste your money on a PS3.

It's overpriced and in my opinion if you have a Wii and a 360 you don't need any other consoles. You get high-def graphics with the 360 and innovative gameplay with the Wii.

Nintendo legacy franchise aren't the only thing that will be available for the Wii, and I think you're doing yourself a disservice to yourself by not at least looking more into it.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Since I last looked in on this thread, not only have we bought a Nintendo Wii, but I also have an XBox 360.

We got the Wii a couple of years back, and the sad thing is that as much fun as the games themselves are, the console itself rarely gets used, except when there is that mad fit to have a shot of the latest purchase. Then, the Wii lies a bit dormant until the next game comes along. Even the Wii Fit (which I did use religiously for about a month) doesn't get a look in these days, and it really needs to! :o

The 360, however, is what I'm on at the moment. I bought mine last year after having seen a new combat flight sim (Heroes over Europe - blinding game!), and quickly added a number of other titles to my library (Blazing Angels, Blazing Angels 2, IL2 Sturmovik, among others). I'm currently getting right into Red Dead Redemption - loving the whole "Old West" genre with the GTA feel. I've also bought Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare as well, so looking forward to getting stuck into that at some point. The Old West and zombies - what's not to love?! :diablo:

Member for

17 years 10 months

PS3 is the way to go Great games and it is a Blu-Ray player as well.
I started with a Megadrive and Sonic ,then bought a PS1 with Tomb Raider 1 and Gran Turismo 1. Never looked back moved onto the PS2 and then the PS3. I also have acess to an Xbox,Xbox 360 and a Wii [all my sons]. He only bought them to play Halo,Gears of War and Red steel respectively.
Never been a fan of Nintendo's so cant say much about them.
Fave games got to be Tomb Raider [all apart from Angel of Darkness],GTA 3 onwards, the best being GTA 4. Iv'e got Blazing Angels [PS3] but it seems a lot like the excellent Secret Weopans Over Normandy.
One great game for the PS2 which yiu dont hear a lot about is Sky Odyssey. I found this to be a very challenging game.

Member for

18 years 1 month

I'm an old git that still lives in the past. I've still got my 48k ZX Spectrum, 1982 Intellivision system, Atari 2600 and Amiga 500 that I still use regularly. I've love the simplicity and extreme playability of some of the old games. Mind you, after 27 years, I still haven't managed to complete Manic Miner!

Got an XBOX 360 which I purely bought for GTA IV. Fantastic graphics although the gameplay is not far removed from the original Liberty City. San Andreas is probably my all time favorite with Vice City a close second. Great soundtracks too!

Always happy to play a good flight sim...when does Storm of War finally hit the shelves, and am I going to have to buy a new PC to run it! Probably.

Regards;
Steve

Member for

15 years 2 months

I had an Amiga 500 until about 2yrs ago when it stopped working :(
I currently have a Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, N64 and a Nintendo DS. A few of my favourite games are - Mario Kart, Streets of rage 1 and 2 and Road Rash. I also enjoy the Mario and sonic platform games.

The PlayStation never really appealed to me, but my cousin and uncle loved it. The Xbox was quite good, a friend of mine let me play a football game on that a few years ago and it was good fun :)
My girlfriend has a Nintendo Wii and I found that enjoyable :)

Member for

20 years 7 months

I'm an old git that still lives in the past. I've still got my 48k ZX Spectrum, 1982 Intellivision system, Atari 2600 and Amiga 500 that I still use regularly. I've love the simplicity and extreme playability of some of the old games.

Yes! While I do love the storylines and playability of the Grand Theft Auto games, there's just something about the "old school" games from years ago that makes them so much more fun!

Member for

19 years 11 months

Who brought this one back from the dead?

Member for

18 years 1 month

Wasn't me Guvnor...Honest! :D

Member for

20 years 7 months

Someone did before me - and have evidently deleted their post! :rolleyes: