GE2017 take 2

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thread for any and all discussion on the 2017 General Election.

If the other one ever re-appears, I will merge the two of them.

Bruce

Original post

Member for

13 years

I think that Labour will just 'edge' it.

Member for

14 years 5 months

You know what? I don't.

But May will emerge from Brexit with egg on face and JC will have put down a clear marker. Once the whole farago is over and the Tories get no further value from claiming they were anti-foreigner all along, and once Jeremy has lost an election while standing on principle and bowed out having nobly tried, then the election after next - now bought closer by May's self-preserving actions - will see the Tories defeated.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I agree with most of what you say BM, but there are caveats.

In order to win in 2022, Labour need to sort themselves out. Abbot, McDonnell and Corbyn MUST go from the top table. They are a huge turn off for the electorate. Every time you wonder if they might just be able to do it, based on perceived Tory unpopularity, you just have to look at those three. I'm sorry, but I don't see anything noble in their actions. They have destroyed the party in a little over 18 months IMHO. The made it about them, and not about gaining enough electoral support to win through.

By many peoples standards, Brexit will be a failure. Don't worry John, you will be fine, as it already passes your test for sovereignty. However, it cannot possibly deliver on every promise that has been made for it. The Tories know this, and that is the only reason they have called the election now - it gives them another three years to allow Brexit to bed in. This said, it is worth noting that the EU can only function in a benign Liberal environment. The drift to the right across the world may be more of a danger than our little country.

Member for

13 years

With the inestimable Diane as Foreign Secretary - amen to that.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Maybe after the payment of the €100Billion BREXIT exit payment she wasn't too far wrong on only being able to pay policemen £30 per year....

Member for

13 years

That's all some of them appear to be worth !

Member for

17 years 6 months

I think that Labour will just 'edge' it.

Into Oblivion?
Out of the opposition position and even into an even lower place?
Into obscurity?

Come on John, finish the sentence

Member for

17 years 6 months

In order to win in 2022, Labour need to sort themselves out. Abbot, McDonnell and Corbyn MUST go from the top table. They are a huge turn off for the electorate.

That's the understatement of the year, though you forgot to add Emily Thornberry.

Member for

13 years

" I then suffered a fit of hysterical mirth and was rendered unconscious !"

Member for

24 years 3 months

then the election after next - will see the Tories defeated.

This is much in the way we neded Churchill, with all his faults in wartime, but kicked him out for the peace that followed.

My only issue is that the current Labour leadership are so anti-business that they would be unlikely to assure a prosperous journey into the sunlit uplands.

Moggy

Member for

13 years

Unless and until they can find another charismatic carpetbagger like Tony Blair they will reside a long time in political limbo.

Member for

7 years

I think that Labour will just 'edge' i

:highly_amused:

This is much in the way we neded Churchill, with all his faults in wartime, but kicked him out for the peace that followed.

My only issue is that the current Labour leadership are so anti-business that they would be unlikely to assure a prosperous journey into the sunlit uplands.

Moggy

Well that's the problem. If we default to WTO trading conditions, you need to counter that with a business friendly tax regime, and unless Labour change radically, they are obviously not going to do that.

Farron has also shot the Lib Dems in the foot with his handling of a certain gay rights question. I still think they will see an increase at the polls, simply due to being the only pro-EU party. UKIP will probably vote Tory and I see the SNP losing seats above the border, hopefully enough for a Con-Lab coalition (I know, blasphemy) leadership up there.

Member for

7 years

Maybe after the payment of the €100Billion BREXIT exit payment she wasn't too far wrong on only being able to pay policemen £30 per year....

Juncker and the ever rising Brexit bill remind me of this:

Member for

9 years 7 months

The local elections were held today up here in Scotland. I'm hoping that the country will be a lot less yellow tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm surprised, and tired, that so many in Scotland will endlessly forgive the SNP for failing to deliver on education and health targets. When any of this is pointed out is is still the fault of Westminster, apparently, even though these are devolved issues.

Member for

17 years 6 months

A bit like when Jimmy Krankie was moaning that an independent Scotland would be able to set their own taxes, until it was pointed out that they already could, had been able too for years, but hadn't, and she had then decided to blame Westminster for it!

Member for

13 years

Even making allowances for my naturally effervescent optimism, I predict a Labour win at the next General election. I know that practically all on this forum will agree with that forecast but, then, my thoughts, galloping ahead as usual turned to whom or, indeed who would occupy the offices of State ?

Y'know, Foreign Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Defence etc. etc. My jaw dropped; my EO (effervescent optimism) sagged a notch or three. Beyond her divine fragrance, the bold Diane, I couldn't think of anyone who could step up to the plate who, if nothing else, would provide much mileage for the mischief makers of the Press.

Playing 'Guess the Minister' with Labour is one thing but playing the same game with the LibDems gets even better. Tiny Tim is likely to be dining on thin gruel if by some miracle equal to that demanded of Labour he manages to get an electoral majority. Stop laughing ! Who would he appoint ? I can't think of anyone of any particular merit that I would trust to empty my garbage unsupervised, much less run a Govt. department.

Member for

7 years

Labour can only win in 2022 if they change.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Don't forget Labour have some key anchors in their leadership, Abbot, McDonnell, Thornberry and Corbyn and until they reconnect them to their anchor chains and drop them over the side, they have as much chance of being elected as Abbot has of getting her maths right.
I just cannot understand what her electorate see in her, it does not exactly exude faith in their ability to make sound judgements.