Goodbye Mr. Presiident

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

Goodbye to Mr. Obama. His legacy ? "....Britain will go to the back of the queue....". Not a particularly good way to remember possibly the most ineffectual American President ever.

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

Very gracious of you to say so.

As far as I'm concerned, after the fact that the world hasn't been reduced to radioactive rubble or that President Obama doesn't think NATO is 'obsolete', probably not much of a legacy, good or bad, that will affect me greatly either way...

...not so sure I'll be able to say the same for President Trump's legacy. Anyway, we'll see.

Member for

13 years

Very gracious of you to say so.

As far as I'm concerned, after the fact that the world hasn't been reduced to radioactive rubble or that President Obama doesn't think NATO is 'obsolete', probably not much of a legacy, good or bad, that will affect me greatly either way...

...not so sure I'll be able to say the same for President Trump's legacy. Anyway, we'll see.

"....gracious of you.."

I do try to please.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Ineffectual national leadership in a democracy is often a good thing and is, I am told and can believe, surprisingly hard to achieve.

Remember the ancient curse 'May you live in interesting times'.

I would add 'May you have an effectual leader'.

Watched a thing on telly last night. People - genuine, honest Americans - who think Trump will re-open uneconomic pits 'because he is a businessman'.

It's like watching people in some kind of trance.

Member for

18 years 11 months

But he's "gonna" "Make America great again" isn't he beermat? that' what he's promised!

We'll and the Americans will see how far easier it is to be in opposition or be an elect compared to having to set the strategy and policies and make tough decisions.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Don't forget that Obama took office just months after the start of the Financial Crash in 2008; widely recognised to be the worst financial crisis since the 1930s...

...like any leader what are we judging him against? Unelected leaders who may have done better or worse?

He got re-elected four years ago so (most of) the American public cannot have been that displeased; it will be interesting to see how the American public view President Trump after four years (and he is starting with a poor approval-rating now)!

Maybe 'ineffectual' should also be viewed as 'safe' or not 'risky'?

Member for

13 years

Ineffectual national leadership in a democracy is often a good thing and is, I am told and can believe, surprisingly hard to achieve.

Remember the ancient curse 'May you live in interesting times'.

I would add 'May you have an effectual leader'.

Watched a thing on telly last night. People - genuine, honest Americans - who think Trump will re-open uneconomic pits 'because he is a businessman'.

It's like watching people in some kind of trance.

Since when was that 'an ancient curse'? Beermat, you can do better than that ! Taking it at face value, I would have thought that we would all wish to live in interesting times.

If you don't have an effective leader then you have no leader by definition. Didn't any of you blokes study Logic at school ?

As I commented earlier; altho' it terminates the debate if observed, give Trump a chance. Review his performance or, lack of it, after one year in office - then make a judgment.

Member for

7 years 5 months

Goodbye to Mr. Obama. His legacy ? "....Britain will go to the back of the queue....". Not a particularly good way to remember possibly the most ineffectual American President ever.

Oh I wouldn't say he was ineffectual at all. He was the mastermind behind the EU refugee crisis and even got a Nobel Peace Prize in exchange for it and wrecking several countries.

Member for

14 years 5 months

Got me on logic again John. Another beer owed, maybe (I did study it briefly).

Yes, it is an apocryphal phrase. But a good one.

The mastermind behind.... That's right, of course he was.

Go on, how did he mastermind it? Or shall I just read thicknazi.com for myself?

Member for

15 years 2 months

Trump content deleted

Old one was very sympathetic.

Member for

9 years 3 months

Trump content deleted

Member for

18 years 11 months

Trump content deleted

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Trump thread was closed. Reopening it by stealth will not work.

Action has been taken by the current Webmaster to ensure debate here stays civil. The Trump thread will reopen soon.

Moggy