Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else getting very annoying pop up adverts

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trumper
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Aug 2003

Anyone else getting very annoying pop up adverts

Anyone else getting very annoying pop up adverts at the top of the page ,keeps moving the page around as you are trying to read /load it .
  • bazv
    olde rigger
    • Feb 2005

We use Opera and the built in ad blocker sorts it out : )

Comment

• Moggy C
      • Jan 2000

Yes.

I have already mentioned this to the Webbie

Moggy
      "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• eye4wings
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Aug 2008

Or Firefox with Adblock+ does the same job.

We are in a battle though and some internet sites rely on advertisers to pay for their sites so are starting to pester me to add their site to my white list.

If they but knew it I get so annoyed by people who waste my time with advertisements that those who get through to me are likely to get onto my black list of firms I would not buy from if they were the last on Earth they would know how counter-productive their policy really is.
        Unfortunately there seems to be no opt-out clause on those grounds so (for their own good) I am continuing to block their ads until such time as they bar me from their site (should I live so long!).

My first advice is therefore to change your browser to one that values your privacy by offering an advert blocker.
        Nice try, but no cigar!

Comment

• trumper
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Aug 2003

I also will NOT use firms that pester me by phone or annoying adverts ,even on the TV.Has a reverse effect on me as well,i actively avoid giving them my custom.If i walk in a shop and someone tries to sell me something i walk out ,if they wait until i ask them for advice thats different.

Comment

• Bob
            Bob
            Aerophile
            • Jan 2000

Some feel we have no right to decide what is 'delivered' to our screens…

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...n-whittingdale
            Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• eye4wings
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Aug 2008

Well, good of mr W to nail his colours to the mast isn't it?! The public evidently should have no right to choose if it could harm business. We apparently should meekly and undiscerningly watch whatever any person or firm wishes to thrust in our faces.
              I do sometimes wonder at the lack of thought shown by some politicians. Perhaps we also should not have the power to vote for or against anything in his opinion?
              Goodbye democracy... hello totalitarianism.

It seems to me that the advertising 'industry' is responsible for a lot of dissatisfaction in our society - and quite a bit of poverty too. The figures quoted at the end of the article prove that there is a substantial move against their assumption that aggressive advertising gets more sales though. I wonder if they will make the connection and realise that people are getting sick of them?
              Nice try, but no cigar!

Comment

• Malcolm McKay
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by trumper View Post
                I also will NOT use firms that pester me by phone or annoying adverts ,even on the TV.Has a reverse effect on me as well,i actively avoid giving them my custom.If i walk in a shop and someone tries to sell me something i walk out ,if they wait until i ask them for advice thats different.
                That's exactly my outlook on advertising and unwanted pitches by sales people. Thrusting any form of product advertising at me uninvited is just going to make me avoid the product like the plague.

Comment

• Peter
                  • Jan 2000

Adblock works wonders
                  Cheers,Peter
                  "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Comment

• Moggy C
                    • Jan 2000

But, were it not for advertising you'd have no channels to watch on TV except the BBC, magazines would cost four or five times their current cover price (if they existed at all), and useful stuff like Google would not be available to you.

Fair enough if that's the world you see as ideal.

Moggy
                    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• bazv
                      olde rigger
                      • Feb 2005

Depends how it is presented on screen though moggy - I am sure we all realise the importance of advertising revenue on websites etc,but it can be quite subtle and user friendly or it can be extremely heavy handed (which seems to be the 'fashion' at the moment).
                      Last edited by bazv; 16th October 2016, 08:18. Reason: punctuation :)

Comment

• trumper
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by bazv View Post
                        Depends how it is presented on screen though moggy - I am sure we all realise the importance of advertising revenue on websites etc,but it can be quite subtle and user friendly or it can be extremely heavy handed (which seems to be the 'fashion' at the moment).
                        The way it is done is the crux.I remember the Grace Spitfire O- UV ML407 being part of an advertising/sponsorship deal with a tastefully done emblem on the fuselage that didn't slap you in the face but it was there for all to see and tastefully.

Comment

• hampden98
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Sep 2009

Are you sure you are seeing bona-fide adverts?
                          Try installing the free version of Malwarebytes and doing a scan.
                          You may have picked up some malware adverts. These manifest themselves in annoying pop ups and page redirects.

The reason I ask is that I don't block pop-ups and see no pop ups from this website.

Comment

• John Green
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Mar 2011

Advertising, cleverly mixed with humour is the way. If it is good, I'll even remember the content.

Advertising and crude attempts at social engineering, is emphatically not the way.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                            X