Remembrance and Battle re-enactment

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 11 months

Friday 14th October is the anniversary of the Battle of Hastings, AD1066. The outcome of this Battle and its effects are with us to this day.

For those who are interested, a Service of Remembrance for King Harold and all who died with him in the shield wall will be held at Battle Abbey on Saturday, 15th Oct. followed by a battle re-enactment which, if nothing else, will be enthusiastic.

Original post

Member for

13 years

Be careful with the arrows you could have some ones eye out with them!

Member for

12 years 11 months

Not, if you did in the Services what you were told and "kept your head down!"

Member for

13 years

I was told by my senior NCO "If you see me run,run after me but don't effing well trip me up!"

Member for

9 years 2 months

Friday 14th October is the anniversary of the Battle of Hastings, AD1066. The outcome of this Battle and its effects are with us to this day.

For those who are interested, a Service of Remembrance for King Harold and all who died with him in the shield wall will be held at Battle Abbey on Saturday, 15th Oct. followed by a battle re-enactment which, if nothing else, will be enthusiastic.

A service of rememberance for a man who led through fear and violence. What a laugh. Mark it with a ceremony as it is important historically but a service of rememberance! Give us a break. They follow it by recreating their deaths!

Very funny when you think about it.

Member for

12 years 11 months

What a thoroughly unpleasant and inaccurate comment. We expect nothing less from you.

Member for

9 years 2 months

How is it inaccurate?

If you care to explain and I'm wrong then I'll happily concede but Harold did use fear and violence to consolidate power and they are recreating the battle are they not?

A service of rememberance for this seems as odd as the overblown service for Richard III which was bizarre

Member for

12 years 8 months

There is an alternative perspective in John's beloved Torygraph letters page which perhaps explains why some are happy to have a service of rememberance

SIR – No doubt we shall be subjected today, as in 1966, to the celebration of what was arguably the lowest point in English history. Those who take part in this should study the seven centuries before October 14 1066, when an unelected earl invaded the most advanced civilisation north of the Alps.

In the months before the Battle of Hastings, King Harold II had raised three armies to counter the expected invasion, an indication of the military organisation of the time. He had continued his everyday governance, had his coinage issued by 45 mints, and had taken his army from the South to York in four days to defeat the vast Norwegian army of Harald Hardrada, thus effectively ending the “Viking age”.

However, the professional core of his army was depleted, and he had to return with his horsed soldiers to London, gathering his fourth army en route and waiting in London for more men. His army consisted of the Housecarls (trained professionals); the trained militia; and the fyrd (lightly armoured volunteers). The element of surprise in York did not materialise at Hastings. There followed five years of resistance, William’s slaughter of thousands in Northumbria, and final defeat.

It is wrong to describe the period before 1066 as the Dark Ages. This civilisation was seen by William’s chroniclers as superior to their own. The developments in agriculture, building, administration, coinage, education, literacy and law deserve far more recognition, especially given that the Norman conquest led to decades of land deprivation, the loss of women’s rights, excessive taxation, wars in Europe and civil wars at home – all under the harsh rule of a foreign military elite.

After more than 60 years of interest, I continue to be surprised by the achievements of this period.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Many thanks for that. I could've written it myself word for word. The writer must be a disciple of Stenton. Do you know if Harold's death was recorded in the In Memorium column ? I couldn't get a Telegraph to-day.

As representatives of the EFS we took flowers to Bosham Church wherein - with good evidence - lie the remains of Harold and the nine year old daughter of Knut the Great, accidently drowned in the mill stream that still flows by the church. Bosham church formed part of the estate of Earl Godwin, Harold's father.

Member for

9 years 2 months

What is the EFS?

Member for

7 years 5 months

How is it inaccurate?

If you care to explain and I'm wrong then I'll happily concede but Harold did use fear and violence to consolidate power and they are recreating the battle are they not?

As did every leader 950 years ago.

Member for

19 years 1 month

What is the EFS?

English Forum Scoundrel ?? :D

Member for

19 years 1 month

If anybody ever goes to Bosham to commemorate King 'Arold - careful where you park ; )
Took these pics whilst still working 'Dahn Sarf'
We just missed getting a pic of the richard head who had parked his porche there :D

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/Bosham%20%2012_zpskjf5ak06.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/Bosham%20%2014_zpsd7znpwyo.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/Bosham%20%2016_zpscjwesuvu.jpg

Member for

12 years 11 months

Despite the fact that there are tidal warning notices every six inches or so.

King Knut - he of the tidal knowledge, needs to be permanently on duty.