Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The British ambassador to Saudi Arabia is...

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snafu
    • Aug 2013

The British ambassador to Saudi Arabia is...

I am sure to some of you this is a man, of some importance in the area, playing indercover for the enemy.

The British ambassador to Saudi Arabia has performed the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca after converting to Islam.
    Simon Collis made the holy trip - which it is a duty for all able-bodied Muslims to make at least once in their life - with his wife Huda Mujarkech.
    The 60-year-old is the first UK ambassador to perform Hajj.
    Mr Collins has been pictured wearing the white robes traditionally worn for the pilgrimage which re-enacts the actions of the Prophet Muhammad.
    The photograph was posted on the twitter account of Saudi Arabian writer and female activist Fawziah Albakr, who wrote in Arabic: "First British ambassador to the Kingdom undertakes the Hajj following his conversion to Islam. Simon Collis with his wife Huda in Mecca. Praise be to God."
    Among the Twitter users to offer congratulations Saudi Arabia's Princess Basmah bint Saud, who wrote: "Special congratulations to the ambassador and his wife."
    Mr Collis took to Twitter to thank well-wishers and revealed he had converted to Islam shortly before marrying his wife.
    He wrote: "In short, I converted to Islam after spending 30 years in Muslim societies and before getting married to Huda."
    The British diplomat has served as the ambassador to Saudi Arabia since 2015.
    He has held several posts with the Foreign Office, including as ambassador to Iraq, Syria and Qatar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-37371868
    Ok, slag him off. You know you want to.
  • J Boyle
    With malice towards none
    • Oct 2004

Good for him, finding religious fulfillment. Whatever works for him.

Of course the militant atheists here might "slag him off"....but they usually save their venom for Christians.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• snafu
      • Aug 2013

If his religion helps him in his career in this area then so be it.

My problem is with the nutters who won't accept no for the definitive answer when trying to convert non followers, especially those who don't believe in anything religious.

Comment

• Creaking Door
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Sep 2006

It's a world gone mad.....next you'll be telling us our man in Paris speaks French!
        WA$.

Comment

• Creaking Door
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by J Boyle View Post
          Of course the militant atheists here might "slag him off"....but they usually save their venom for Christians.
          Not true; we just don't get many Muslims round these parts!

Anyway, not really fair to accuse these 'militant atheists' of persecuting a particular religion. Surely an atheist, by definition, must treat all religions exactly the same; if any religion feels particular 'venom' being directed towards it then maybe that religion stretches the 'faith' of its followers to too much of an extreme?
          WA$.

Comment

• J Boyle
            With malice towards none
            • Oct 2004

Many militant atheists out there will complain all day long about and ridicule Christians and Jews but would never do the same against Islam, Buddhism, Shinto or other "minority" (in the west) faith because it would make them look intolerant or anti-PC.

And the argument that one only ridicules missionaries is spurious at best, since 99% of Christians aren't pushy evangelicals.
            Just face it, most of the militant atheists are simply intolerant of people who disagree with them.

At our annual county fair the local atheist group has a booth. They seem to enjoy wearing t-shirts with offensive/intolerant messages on them and are more than ready to tell people how foolish they are....so they spend a nice fall weekend stewing in their intolerance instead of enjoying themselves or doing something fun. Come on people, live and let live and get a life.
            And no, I don't recall seeing a church with a booth, being government property, I don't think they'd be allowed.

I don't care if someone believes or not, but on this forum the only group you find proselytizing (telling people what they believe) and hinting at their superiority seem to be atheists.
            Last edited by J Boyle; 15th September 2016, 23:33.
            There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Creaking Door
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Sep 2006

All religion is crap because there is no god (in my opinion). But Islam is by far the worst religion in the world (at the moment) because of how easily its followers are offended and to what extremes these followers will go to when they are offended.

The other factor in the 'west', of course, is that most atheists were probably raised as Christians, and in that case familiarity certainly does breed contempt (and possible even a bit of 'revenge')!
              WA$.

Comment

• Creaking Door
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by J Boyle View Post
                At our annual county fair the local atheist group has a booth.

I don't care if someone believes or not, but on this forum the only group you find proselytizing (telling people what they believe) and hinting at their superiority seem to be atheists.
                Atheist groups? Seriously? A booth? Seriously?

Strangely, I find the very idea of an 'atheist group' something of a paradox; is this something that is happening to counter the 'pressure' to believe in a Christian god in the United States?

Well, surely atheists are right to feel superior aren't they, because they're right. The same way that Christians feel superior because they're sure they are right. And Muslims. And Buddhists.
                WA$.

Comment

• TonyT
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                  I am sure to some of you this is a man, of some importance in the area, playing indercover for the enemy.

Ok, slag him off. You know you want to.

Why on earth would you expect anyone to slag him off for following what he believes in, you could be worshipping the great dried dog turd mounted on a plinth at the bottom of your garden for all I know and if that is what you believe in, fair enough, I find it strange you would think people would think otherwise.

Well, surely atheists are right to feel superior aren't they, because they're right. The same way that Christians feel superior because they're sure they are right. And Muslims. And Buddhists.
                  And strangely during a war God is on our side, and during WW2 and WW1 it was the same God on both sides.. Rather like the Irish troubles too.
                  Last edited by TonyT; 16th September 2016, 11:11.

Comment

• snafu
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                    Why on earth would you expect anyone to slag him off for following what he believes in, you could be worshipping the great dried dog turd mounted on a plinth at the bottom of your garden for all I know and if that is what you believe in, fair enough, I find it strange you would think people would think otherwise.
                    Because that is what happens on this forum - most of us (me included) slag off those who put their faith in something that obviously doesn't exist. On this occasion the fact that his invisible friend happens to be the invisible friend of a fair proportion of the locals might help him with his job and gain the respect of the Saudis for swallowing their fairy tales.

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                    And strangely during a war God is on our side, and during WW2 and WW1 it was the same God on both sides.. Rather like the Irish troubles too.
                    But god was on the side of the Germans in WWII too - more so, in fact since they wore their belief on their uniform.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	WWII-German-Belt-Buckle-6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	3670149

And we all know how god got behind them and helped to defeat us, don't we? Erm, no.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                    X