Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life on Earth - now older than we thought

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snafu
    • Aug 2013

Life on Earth - now older than we thought

In a blow for creationists, the earliest known fossils are now 220 million years older - with implications for start for the first life on Earth.

The oldest known fossils dating back 3.7 billion years to a time when the Earth was still being bombarded by asteroids have been found in Greenland, scientists announced in a discovery that could have staggering implications.

Rocks recently exposed after a once-permanent layer of snow melted were found to contain stromatolites, sediments the researchers said had been created by the growth of layer upon layer of micro-organisms.

If confirmed as evidence of life, they are about 220 million years older than the previous record holder and the researchers said the sophistication of the microbes pointed to life on Earth beginning more than four billion years ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7218191.html
  • J Boyle
    With malice towards none
    • Oct 2004

Really?

If we do the math in the article it means instead of the earth being 3.5 billion years old, it's 3.7.

Two points:
    -I don't think the literal creationists (a minority of Christians) are going to be overcome by that. They' be been ridiculed for the last 100 years, I'm guessing they'll survive this.

-The news release calls it a discovery of "staggering" proportions. Really? 220m goes into 3.5b about 16 times, which if I'm doing my math correctly is only about a 6.25% increase.
    Interesting, sure. "Staggering"?...only if you have a very low excitement threshold or you're trying to hype your discovery to get more funding.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• snafu
      • Aug 2013

It might be because, what with the planet still being bombarded with asteroids at that time, there could be a chance that life came in from off planet.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
      X