'X Men' Poster doubles standards...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 2 months

TWENTIETH Century Fox has apologised for a billboard that features Jennifer Lawrence’s X-Men: Apocalypse character Mystique being throttled. criticised by some who are offended by the imagery of Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse choking Mystique.

‘Charmed’ actress Rose McGowan has led the charge, giving a statement of her concern to the Hollywood Reporter.

"“There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film. There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and frankly, stupid.”

“The geniuses behind this, and I use that term lightly, need to take a long hard look at the mirror and see how they are contributing to society. Imagine if it were a black man being strangled by a white man, or a gay male being strangled by a hetero? The outcry would be enormous. So let’s right this wrong. 20th Century Fox, since you can’t manage to put any women directors on your slate for the next two years, how about you at least replace your ad?"

I doubt anybody would even mention there was a problem with the poster if it were a White male getting throttled!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]246327[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

Did the illustrated scene appear in the film?

If so, I don't see a problem....but then those (hyper?) sensitive to the problem of violence against women might have an issue with the scriptwriters rather than the ad people.

But really, in a world with real problems people waste time getting upset of an ad for a cartoon film?