TV Streaming Sticks ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 1 month

We cannot easily have a satellite tv dish and freeview locally is extremely limited (transmitter limitation) so thinking about getting a TV stick (maybe either Fire Stick or ROKU )
We do not need many stations but would like a few more movie channels ready for the cr@p summer weather LOL
Any forumite experience with TV sticks ?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Amazon one is pretty good; I bought mine for £15 when they had a sale last year. Works well.

You will need to have a USB port on your telly for them to work.

Another option is to upgrade to a Smart TV, which has a wider range of content options.

Member for

14 years

Some are USB and some connect to one of your your HDMI inputs.
As long as you have a decent broadband connection any of them should work OK, including "Now TV".
You just have to see what stations are available, and what the subscriptions are. We have the older Apple TV box,
and use it mostly for watching Youtube videos. It also allows you to watch videos and photos from your computer.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Also consider Netflixs at about £5.00 per month or Amazon prime at about £70 a year (which then gives you free delivery on Amazon), indeed you can do a free months trial of both I believe and if your TV is relatively modern they will already be installed in among all the "apps" on the TV, you just need either Wifi if the TV has it or a connection to your modem. they are film and TV series related.

Member for

14 years

You have to look very carefully into what is, and what is not, included in the various packages.
When you start adding in subscriptions, the cost can creep up.
With the Apple TV box, you have to put your card details in, in order to get you box to talk to
your computer. Others may do the same ? You just have to be careful that don't inadvertently
watch something there's a charge for. Also sod's law says the programmes you would most like
to watch, wont be available.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
bazv,
Here you are then matey try this google page tv streaming/Stick comparisons :- https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=recommended+tv+streaming+sticks

If I had to pick one NETFLIX would be my recommendation as they air their own tv films and series that are not available to other tv outlets..........:cool:

Alternatively buy a smart Tv usually comes with Netflix ready channel all you have to do is contact Netflix and talk to them about their service then it's just pay for what you watch or for a package as far as I know.

Geoff.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Thanks for the replies gents - I had looked at some of the review sites thanks 'Bat' but like to get personal reviews if poss :D

The Amazon stick sounds a likely winner for us as SWMBO already has prime and that may just clinch it !

Bruce - with the amazon fire - do you get access to (say) TCM,PBS etc ??

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think so, yes, but to be honest I don't use them.

There is a lot of stuff in Amazon prime, and it changes all the time. The Fire stick will also get Netflix if you feel inclined, but as you already have Prime, it might be a step too far.

Before too long, you will stop watching terrestrial TV. Just make sure you have a reasonable connection. Some gadgets will cope with the poor bandwidth we have in rural Norfolk, and adjust the quality down accordingly. Firestick can download the next programme ahead of time so you don't get stuck waiting for the streaming to catch up.

Bruce

Member for

11 years 5 months

We have Prime and the new Apple TV which provides much of what we want to watch. I have occasionally subscribed to Netflix free for a month to watch something and then unsubscribe again, so it is effectively free.

Member for

14 years

Which channels are you able to view, and what is the cost ? I only really use ours (Mk1 version) to watch Youtube.
My wife just loves watching the Vulcan flights :) :)

Member for

11 years 5 months

I really don't know. We have Sky Free so already have about 100 channels more than we need or will ever watch. Apple is mainly for films.

Member for

24 years 2 months

FWIW, I use Sky hardly at all. Before we moved, we used the Sky Plus box a lot, to record programs, but I don't remember the last time we used the thing to be honest.

Sky streaming service isn't very good IMHO - it downloads the program to the box first, which is very inefficient for us. The content is pretty weak IMHO

Both Netflix and Amazon have some good boxed sets available as part of the subscription - If you want to lose a couple of months, Breaking Bad is very, very good... Black comedy at its very best.

Bruce

Member for

11 years 5 months

We watch Atlantic and Arts quite a lot and have a library of recorded films. Never used the streaming service so cannot comment.

Indeed they do - too time consuming though!!:)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Breaking Bad is very, very good... Black comedy at its very best.

I'd heard this. So I bought the Series One box set and was bored out of my skull. Does it get better?

Moggy

Member for

24 years 2 months

Like all these things, I guess you either love it or hate it. I enjoyed it from the first episode; although it does take a little while to set all the characters up.

Member for

19 years 1 month

We had to 'panic buy' an Amazon fire stick in the end LOL because of a temporary local tv problem.
We tend to treat it as a 'standby' but this evening we re watched the infamous Ch5 programme (monster moves) which was specially made to demonstrate how not to safely dismantle a large Jet 'Bomber' in preparation for a move to St Morgan :) - priceless - I was just glad nobody got seriously hurt during the process.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Just a bit of an update on using the Amazon firestick : )

Working well so far - have seen quite a few movies with it.
Also we watched the first 'Bosch' series - we really enjoyed it and stays pretty close to the books ( I had read most of the Michael Connolly books previously)

We have recently started watching 'Hell on wheels' which is another Amazon series (based around the building of the American Transcontinental Railway) - also very enjoyable so far :)

Member for

17 years 5 months

I just got one of these Bazv it has sky movies etc on it which are subscription free, you can download Kodi onto yours and add lots to it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-fire-TV-stick-Digital-HD-media-streamer-fully-loaded-with-Kodi-Jarvis-/222264044818?hash=item33bff82d12:g:TMYAAOSwNRdX64FJ

Have watched all the series of Hell On Wheels on TCM, one of my favourite shows :)

Member for

19 years 1 month

Thanks Tony - we were aware of the kodi but have not had to download it yet as we never seem to get to the bottom of our 'watch list' LOL
Have you watched the 'Bosch' series ? it is really good :)

Member for

14 years

A lot of people use Kodi now, a shame it doesn't work on the Apple TV devices.
I haven't regretted leaving Sky and going to Freesat. I still have trouble finding time to watch all the things we record.
I watch as much if not more on Youtube. I love all of the photographic tutorials.