Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Deaths Of People You May Have Heard Of...

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of my youth. Dolly Parton said he had "one of the greatest voices of all time"!

Comment

Hi All,
      Bruce Forsyth all I can say is one of the UK's consummate all-round entertainers:- GOOD GAME! GOOD GAME!

RIP Mr Forsyth and thank you!

Geoff.

Comment

Not a great fan of his, but RIP all the same.

My earliest recollection of him was when he hosted Sunday Night at the London Paladium. Must have been the 60's
        Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

Ditto and until he reinvented himself with the dancing show he had had a lean three decades. Trouble is he always saw himself as the British Sammy Davis Jnr, but no one else did.

Still he died, no doubt very happy a loved national treasure!!

Comment

Jerry Lewis, legendary comic who got his start starring with Dean Martin in a series of early 50s films has died, aged 91. Whike Martin played the handsome ladies man and sang, while Lewis did slapstick and pratfalls.
            He may not be familiarity anyone under the age of 50, but in his time he was an international superstar. If you don't know him, think if an early day Jim Carrey (who has said Lewis was a major influence).

In the late 50s to late 70s he wrote, produced, directed and stared in a successful series of films. He even did some dramatic work like the Scorsese film "King of Comedy".

He also became famous for hosting an annual televised fund raising event for Muscular dystrophy research. They became popular because you never knew which if his "A list" friends would appear, but as you might expect in these cynical times, his earnestness also became to source of many jokes and satires.

As I said, his work wasn't everyone's "cup if tea", but he was never mean and his charity work will long be remembered.

RIP...
            Last edited by J Boyle; 21st August 2017, 06:25.
            There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

Wholly endorse all of that and have clear memories of that wonderful double act. But what was the cause of the rift which I think lasted decades. Did it break up the act or the result of one or other bringing it to an end?

Comment

RIP Mr Lewis.

As far as his comedy was concerned, I didn't find him at all funny, and that voice .......
                Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

We also lost one of the greatest rugby players of all time and a truly great New Zealander yesterday with the death of Sir Colin Meads, aged 81.

Pinetree Meads had been suffering from pancreatic cancer for the past year.
                  Wings Over Cambridge - Cambridge's and New Zealand's Contribution to the Wartime Air Forces

Wings Over New Zealand Forum

Comment

Apparently Brucie died of a seizure....... Nice to seizure, to seizure nice..

I will get my coat, but I would like to think he would see the humour in it.

Comment

Peter Hall - a titan of 20th century theatre as well as a notable film and opera director. A mercurial, witty, generous, driven and exceptionally talented man.

Comment

"Nice to seizure, to seizure nice.."

Didn't he die well!

Coat on.

Comment

I think Don Williams deserves a mention, the "Gentle Giant" of country music with a large following across much of the world, had many charts successes in the mainstream pop music as well as country, had a particularly large and faithful fan base in the UK.

May 27th 1939 to September 8th 2017, good night big man.

Comment

Absolutely agree he deserves a mention. My wife and her father were big fans of his and we saw him in concert 3 times and he was brilliant. R.I.P. Donny (my wife's name for him).

Comment

Brilliant in concert, he would have an entire audience singing along, long before it became the norm at big concerts.

Comment

My other is/was a huge fan - of his voice.
                                She said when she saw him in concert in Nottingham 30+ years ago he had absolutely no stage presence and seemed to have had a total charisma bypass.
                                Perhaps he didn't like Nottingham...

Comment

Hi All,
                                  Yet another musical great has departed Rip Tom Petty.

Geoff.

Comment

And a true Aviation Great; John Young. Gemini, Apollo (twice - once as a moon walker), and Space Shuttle.

Comment

Hi All,
                                      Edward Clarke aka (Fast Eddie) the last founding member of the classic Motorhead line up has passed away after a bout pneumonia on the 10th January. He co wrote the following track and it was on their second album but the first album of Motorheads I bought on cassette 1st listen and never looked back......

RIP Eddie thanks for being part of my music.

Geoff.

Comment

Hi All,

Cyrille Regis MBE one of the UK's finest footballers and gentleman off the pitch and had a tough stance against racism in football passed away 15/01.
                                        He played for a number of teams through his career giving his all to the club and country when capped. Myself I remember him his WBA (Legend) and
                                        Coventry days one of their stronger players especially in the FA Cup.

RIP Mr Regis and thank you...

Geoff.
                                        Last edited by 1batfastard; 17th January 2018, 19:12.

Comment

Hi All,
                                          Very,very sad news at the passing of the great professor Stephen Hawking. He was and will the inspiration for many wanting to explore in the scientific
                                          world,he has overcome the odds of his ALS and I for one wish I had the tiniest fraction of his courage in life that he had to shine through adversity.

The brightest star among many has shone it's last.RIP Mr Hawking.

A fitting tribute I think.

Links to articles and tributes concerning his passing:-https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=2....0.wMugbAW9POA

Geoff.
                                          Last edited by 1batfastard; 17th March 2018, 19:49.

Comment

Working...
                                          X