Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jaguar To Build Another 9 XKSS

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J Boyle
    With malice towards none
    • Oct 2004

The Series 3 E-Type 2+2 are painful to look at...far too bulbous, the car equivalent of a side by side Vampire.
    The V-12 didn't do the handling any favors, the exposed headlamps and larger air intake along with the stretched cabin turned a lithe design into a round mess.

Another great example of keeping designs around too long.

Having said that, inexplicably they're increasing in value along with the rest of the range.
    An acquaintance bought one, a nice car with no major faults, several years ago for nothing and now it's becoming a shrewd investment.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• Bruce
      Independent analyst
      • Jan 2000

Whichever E type you bought a few years ago, it would be a good investment. Not so many years ago I was buying Spitfire projects (the aeroplane not the car) for less that a ropey S1 E type is currently being advertised for. Amazing.

I could have afforded a 2+2 S2 E before we had kids, but no, I bought an XJ6, which I still have, and which has appreciated by..... Nothing....

Bruce

PS - I also have a side by side Vampire, and I don't think they are so bad..

Comment

• richw_82
        White Knuckle Airlines
        • Nov 2009

When I was at college and looking for my first car I had a bit of money laid away. I got offered a S1 E-type Coupe that had been in a slight accident (crumpled nose and tail - but repairable) but passed it up for an XJ6 that was on the road. I wish I had bought the E-type!

Comment

• James D
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2003

So they're brand new cars, that don't conform to any modern safety or emissions standards?
          Anyone who isn't a motor manufacturer care to try doing the same thing? I doubt you'd get away with it.
          Perhaps these are supposed to be for race track use only?
          Have YOU used the "Will it be at Legends" joke yet today?

Comment

• AVI
            AVI
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Oct 2004

Jaguar did it with the continuation run of Lightweight E Types ..... track only in most civilized countries, but at over a million bucks a piece, how many are going to be driven flat out on the track?

Same, same for the continuation D-Types. Track only, but with the recent change in US regulations allowing limited runs of factory built, turnkey kit cars, who knows?

It wasn't all that long ago that Shelby "found" a bunch of old 427 Cobra chassis lying around for his run of "continuation" Cobras. They were quickly gobbled up by those with the bucks.
            Last edited by Deano; 29th March 2016, 23:26. Reason: CoC Rule 14

Comment

• J Boyle
              With malice towards none
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by AVI View Post
              ....with the recent change in US regulations allowing limited runs of factory built, turnkey kit cars, who knows?

It wasn't all that long ago that Shelby "found" a bunch of old 427 Cobra chassis lying around for his run of "continuation" Cobras. They were quickly gobbled up by those with the bucks.
              As I understand the new US law, the engine had to meet pollution standards...which only GM has done for a "crate motor"...and the certification process may be too expensive for smaller production runs.

And the Shelby ruse didn't fool many people, IIRC, they got into some trouble with that one.
              There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• AVI
                AVI
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Oct 2004

Ah, so how about a D-Type with fat, lo-profile tires and an aluminum Chevy LS6 shoehorned under the hood?
                Last edited by Deano; 29th March 2016, 23:27. Reason: CoC Rule 14

Comment

• J Boyle
                  With malice towards none
                  • Oct 2004

Don't get me started.
                  It's bad enough looking at the ads in Classic and Sports Car for the many UK Cobra look alikes with Chevrolet engines (seeming a majority..Or at least those offered by wheeler dealers).
                  Like having a cold Coke at a pub, instead of a proper pint, putting a GM engine in anything purporting to be a Cobra or Jaguar isn't illegal, but it should be...at Any rate, if one respects tradition, it's an affront to all that is holy.

Comment

• James D
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by J Boyle View Post
                    Don't get me started.
                    putting a GM engine in anything purporting to be a ... Jaguar isn't illegal, but it should be...
                    [devils advocate] Lister Knobbly anyone? :-P

Comment

• J Boyle
                      With malice towards none
                      • Oct 2004

Period racers built with GM engines are fine, like the Cadillac Allards, but I do decry the builders of today (on both sides of the Atlantic) whose instinctive reaction is to "put a Chevy in it...and call it good". Shows a real lack of imagination and a serious appreciation of history.

It's not like Ford V-8s are hard to find, terribly exotic, or too costly for Cobra replicas.

Comment

• AVI
                        AVI
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Oct 2004

Don't get me started.
                        It's bad enough looking at the ads in Classic and Sports Car for the many UK Cobra look alikes with Chevrolet engines (seeming a majority..Or at least those offered by wheeler dealers).
                        Like having a cold Coke at a pub, instead of a proper pint, putting a GM engine in anything purporting to be a Cobra or Jaguar isn't illegal, but it should be...at Any rate, if one respects tradition, it's an affront to all that is holy.
                        Well, is the Blue Oval better? Back in the early-mid '70s I stuffed a small block Ford 302 with Windsor heads into a S1 E Type coupe, a popular mod at the time. That was back when a 427 side oiler, big block motor was worth more than a used XK-E, and Arntz, out in California, was starting to sell 427 Cobra kits, followed by ERA in New Britain, CT. ERA was just starting to get into the Cobra clone game after buying an Arntz kit which, BTW, ended up sitting in a corner of their shop gathering dust.

A Boss 302 engine was what I'd planned to shoehorn into the Jag, but it was way too wide to fit between the rails ..... Come to think of it, I sold the Boss 302 engine for more than what I'd paid for the '66 Coupe! The guy who bought the Boss 302 was planning on putting it into his Sunbeam Tiger, but I don't know whether he ever managed to do it. Back in the mid-'70s E-Type Jags were dirt cheap. The DOHC Jag 3.8s and 4.2s cost more to have rebuilt than what the cars were worth!

How times have changed .....

Comment

• James D
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Oct 2003

Period racers built with GM engines are fine, like the Cadillac Allards, but I do decry the builders of today (on both sides of the Atlantic) whose instinctive reaction is to "put a Chevy in it...and call it good". Shows a real lack of imagination and a serious appreciation of history.

It's not like Ford V-8s are hard to find, terribly exotic, or too costly for Cobra replicas.
                          I hear what you're saying, but one could simply say, well, it's just a look alike.
                          I guess it would depend on how accurate one was trying to be.
                          Can't say I'd want a Chev motor in an ally bodied, authentic repro chassised Cobra, but a plastic kit car? What does it matter? It only has to make the right noises. :-)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                          X