Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating At Duxford

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wl745
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Aug 2007

Having lived abroad for many years I m horrified at the prices mentioned!!If there was an equivalent place here like Duxford the locals would not go there!!I can get a good lunch here for 1.20 ,pounds !!!You have to like Thai food mind you and its not the sort you get in restaurants in the UK!!

Comment

• hampden98
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by wl745 View Post
      Having lived abroad for many years I m horrified at the prices mentioned!!If there was an equivalent place here like Duxford the locals would not go there!!I can get a good lunch here for 1.20 ,pounds !!!You have to like Thai food mind you and its not the sort you get in restaurants in the UK!!
      Is it still alive?

Comment

• J Boyle
        With malice towards none
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ~Alan~ View Post
        If you are really desperate
        I've never met an Englishman who will admit to liking McDonald's...or Burger King or Pizza Hut.
        That must be why there aren't any in the UK.
        There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• ~Alan~
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Mar 2010

My wife's niece and her husband have just moved out to Singapore for three years. It would seem to be as cheap to eat out,
          as it is to buy food and cook yourself.

As regards Duxford, there are a number of local eateries, none of which I have visited. We normally go on pre airshow Friday,
          so it would be just my luck to be off the airfield when something interesting is in the air.
          Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• ~Alan~
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by J Boyle View Post
            I've never met an Englishman who will admit to liking McDonald's...or Burger King or Pizza Hut.
            That must be why there aren't any in the UK.
            I can honestly say that I have only been in a McDonalds once. When I had picked up my wife's nephew from Canterbury, and he wanted
            to stop on the M2 for something to eat. That was about 20yrs ago. I also refuse to frequent designer coffee shops
            Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• snafu
              • Aug 2013

Great - reduce this to a thread about McDonalds and fast food rather than prices at Duxford, why don't you?

Yes, the food at Duxford is expensive. Yes, if there was a McDs, Burger King, KFC, whatever, there it would be cheaper - as long as Duxford didn't insist on a minimum price policy (think the 1.50 a can of fizz at every outlet at airshows, as set by the organisers).

If Duxford wanted the price of their food to be affordable they could drop the price, and absorb the loss somewhere else, but they won't: as far as they are concerned their target market can afford to pay 5 for what might well be an artisan construct, yet is still just a ham sandwich.

Comment

• ~Alan~
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Mar 2010

I don't think the price of the food at Duxford is a direct concern of the museum itself. The staff no doubt have their own canteens,
                or get a substantial discount.
                If the company now running the food concessions are seeing a fall in customer numbers, they will no doubt adjust their menus, or their prices.
                They still have to pay the IWM, come rain or shine.

Comment

• Mark Hazard
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • May 2008

Had to eat something on my visit to the American Air Show, so stopped in at what is now the Armoury. Greeted at the door by a fella asking how I was and if I knew what I wanted, on seeing the transformation for the first time, told him "confused and a full English", sorry, we don't do those anymore (they did bacon rolls and something else, not enough to feed a mouse), but the Workshop do have cooked breakfasts.

Exit the Armoury and walked to Joe's - sorry, the Workshop. This time greeted by a girl who gave me a menu, explaining that the cooked breakfast was either a pancake with maple syrup, or an omelette, but no full English. Disappointed (and my stomach sometimes rejects pancakes, so wouldn't dare try those) settled for the omelette and a (real) cup of tea (I later heard that they don't do just cups of tea, one had to use the outside caterers, although that could be just a rumour). Omelette was very tasty, although I'll have 2 next time, which will come to about the same price as the full English used to be.

On exiting the Workshop I noticed the girl talking to a few more people coming in, before they made their exit. Talking to the girl before I left, it transpired that they too were after a full English, at which she mentioned that she was going to see what could be done about reinstating it for Sunday. I wished her luck, and hope that on my next visit it has been re-instated.

Comment

• ~Alan~
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Mar 2010

I suspect that a "full English" , doesn't fit in with their corporate image ?
                    Unless it has "pulled" sausage and bacon ?

Comment

• snafu
                      • Aug 2013

I don't think the price of the food at Duxford is a direct concern of the museum itself. The staff no doubt have their own canteens,
                      or get a substantial discount.
                      If the company now running the food concessions are seeing a fall in customer numbers, they will no doubt adjust their menus, or their prices.
                      They still have to pay the IWM, come rain or shine.
                      You are right about the museum not being concerned - they will have it all contracted out so that they are not connected and therefore cannot be held responsible if the caterer poisons visitors. I cannot imagine there is a staff canteen (usually one of the first targets in cutbacks) and the chances of there being a staff discount sorted out with the franchise holder/s is pretty remote.

But if the numbers fall the caterers might complain that there just isn't enough to draw visitors in to the museum (used to happen a lot in department stores, complaints that the signage was hidden by sales signs or Xmas decorations, that sort of thing), although I'd guess that would be scraping the barrel. If the caterer cannot make enough to pay the site fees on top of food and staff costs, etc, at these prices then I suppose they might drop the price but they are usually finely tuned to provide x% profit to the shareholders or bank manager - and you know how they hate missing out.

Originally posted by Mark Hazard View Post
                      Talking to the girl before I left, it transpired that they too were after a full English, at which she mentioned that she was going to see what could be done about reinstating it for Sunday. I wished her luck, and hope that on my next visit it has been re-instated.
                      Surprised the response wasn't 'we're tired of telling people - there just isn't any demand for it...'

And they probably discontinued it on health grounds, like many hospital restaurants.

Comment

• Meddle
                        Rank Bajin.
                        • Sep 2014

I suspect that a "full English" , doesn't fit in with their corporate image ?
                        Unless it has "pulled" sausage and bacon ?
                        Pulled from where?

Comment

• J Boyle
                          With malice towards none
                          • Oct 2004

Anyone who had been anywhere knows that food/drink at attractions is going to be a bit on the high side.
                          The best we can hope for is that it's not exorbitant!
                          When out, I don't eat a great deal, I'm too busy looking at the aircraft to overpay for indifferent food during my visits to various museums.
                          (Though most recently I had a very nice, and fairly priced, lunch at the Pima museum, it was fun to have a break while sitting among all the great aircraft and enjoying a bright February day with the temperatures in the low 70s).

But if one must have something, and if it's practical (not on an air show day when you can park close) there is nothing to prevent you from packing a lunch and eating in your car. Or at least, have an Apple or Mars bar in your pocket....and work up an appetite for dinner.
                          There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• ~Alan~
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Mar 2010

I noticed that on the Friday before Legends, there was one food concession open, The Gourmet Burger Van.
                            I can only imagine they had paid for the privilege of being able to open an extra day. A wise investment on their part I would guess,
                            as they seemed to be very busy.

Comment

• Creaking Door
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Sep 2006

I had occasion to sample a burger from this van on Saturday and I'm not sure they were using 'gourmet' in the accepted sense of the word (although to be fair they had made an effort with the meat itself)!

The overall experience wasn't helped by me adding one of those yellow squares of what I hesitate to call 'cheese' to the burger along with a generous helping of tomato ketchup.....but it was late and I was hungry.

Interestingly, that one burger cost slightly more than the two rounds of sandwiches, two small bottles of orange juice, a bag of crisps, a bag of cookies and four litres of water that I purchased at Tesco on the way to Duxford...

...not complaining but it would be interesting to know exactly where my money ended up.

The other thing that I noticed was that most of the food trailers had themed signs above the serving hatch. Some interesting subjects too; a line-up of P-39 Airacobras in RAF markings on one. Those signs cannot have been cheap!
                              Last edited by Creaking Door; 11th July 2016, 20:02.
                              WA$.

Comment

• TonyT
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Oct 2006

http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/...rader_pack.pdf

Well you're looking at about a 100 per square metre simply for your pitch, that's taking a bite out of your burger before you even start eating its profits.

Comment

• ~Alan~
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Mar 2010

That seems to be the going rate. At the Essex show about 10 yrs ago, food wagons
                                  were paying around 1,000 + for the weekend.

There's a lot of rules and regs to go through. I didn't see anything about food concessions
                                  not opening before the weekend. Maybe in the small print of their contracts ?

Comment

• snafu
                                    • Aug 2013

Let us not forget that usually these sorts of events demand a high liability insurance cover, usually 5-8m, which doesn't come free.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                    X