Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BREXIT - Merged thread.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • St. John
    Rank 3 Registered User

Agent K - It's all down to interpretation really. TBH 17% is actually quite a low value, a higher percentage of EU goods come back the other way. I'm surprised that it is only 17% for goods since we were told about 40% for goods and services, but I assume there are other ports involved, like Rotterdam routes. Knowing the percentage of trade and knowing how many lorries that entails are two different things. I think he was probably reassuring the folks at the technology conference that he understood the problem, media gets hold of it and you know the rest.

And I've already explained the stockpiling, it's simply to cover lag at the point of switch over. Once the changeover is made, things will still roll in everyday, they'll just have longer lead times. This really isn't a problem. I have no idea why someone is stockpiling Turkeys because of Brexit though, Christmas is in December, leaving the EU is in March. But then, Brussels have been stockpiling Turkeys since 1992.

Comment

• Bradburger
      Rank 5 Registered User

Oh dear!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46111085

Same sort of idiot that goes out and buys up all the milk and bread when they see that some bad weather is coming.

The fanatical EU brigade (and closet federalists) such as AgentK really are starting to take the **** too far now, and have a lot to answer for for their constant efforts to promote this kind of bull****!

Good help them if there was something serious that actually stopped goods and food getting to us.

But then again, if it didn't involve their beloved EU, then they would not worry!

Cheers

Paul
      Last edited by Bradburger; 10th November 2018, 01:12.
      The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

Comment

• St. John
        Rank 3 Registered User

If there is a food shortage, it'll be because all these idiots have it locked away in a bunker or something. It's Brexit not WW3.

Comment

• J Boyle
          With malice towards none

This thread seems to have become a argument between one anti-exit (you lost, get over it...I haven't seen this n st hand wringing over a lost cause since the last ship left Bremen for Argentina) and 2-3 pro.
          Really, with 136 pages, I don't think anyone is going to change their mind at this late date.
          perhaps it should be euthanized...If the members want to continue, perhaps go to PM.
          Last edited by J Boyle; 12th November 2018, 00:23.
          There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• John Green
            Rank 5 Registered User

"argument..." ? On a forum - surely not ! Thanks to the alert from JB, we must all be on our guard against further argument.

Comment

• Bruce
              Independent analyst

It is a bit one sided these days.

Whatever those of us who voted to remain think, there wont be a second referendum, and we will have to wait and see how things pan out. I am damn sure that it wont be all roses, and equally sure that there will be significant problems ahead - we will just have to wait and see what they are.

Sure, there was always an element of project fear - and on both sides, lets not forget, but there is also a lot of inescapable fact sloshing around at the moment. Only time will tell what it all means.

Comment

• J Boyle
                With malice towards none

John Green
                I'm all for further argument if something constructive might come of it...but that's not the case here.
                The anti-exit member isn't going to change his mind after 136 pages.

As my UK born wife says quoting her beloved granny.. "Save your breath to coo l your porrage".

The mods are usually quick to end pointless, endless haggling on the Historic Aviation forum...
                There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• John Green
                  Rank 5 Registered User

JB

One never knows what will emerge !

Comment

• Dr Strangelove
                    Doktor Merkwrdigliebe

Nothing will change whatever happens, same sh*t different day.

Sometimes it's better to be a bumblebee than it is to be Professor Heinkel.

Comment

• St. John
                      Rank 3 Registered User

Well I think most people will agree that the deal currently being constructed is a big POS and hopefully it will be voted down by parliament. It's a desperate attempt to protect the status quo that people voted to get rid of, rather than putting in the required effort to do something different. Frankly far too much emphasis has been placed on NI. It has a population of about 1.5m, a GDP of <40bn and a 9bn deficit. Frankly, whilst it needs some consideration, it should be at the very bottom of the list of priorities. And if that means a hard border in Ireland, who cares, let the EU enforce it and pay for it.

Either a no deal or even remaining would be better than this great big POS.

Comment

• John Green
                        Rank 5 Registered User

St. John

The problem with NI is that it is seen by many to represent more than the some of its parts. A 'hard' border would emphasise division between North and South. I know that this is a vital part of the delusional politics that prevail. One answer might be to declare both Belfast and Dublin Free Ports. Goods and freight moving in and out subject to nil taxation and tariffs or, a token standard rate. Not sure what one would do about Customs. other than Customs at both ports would operate on behalf of both sides of the border.

Comment

• Agent K
                          Rank 5 Registered User

So, Dominic Raaaaaaaab resigns over a deal he negotiated? that takes the current level of incompetence to a whole new level........

Comment

• St. John
                            Rank 3 Registered User

He didn't really make the decisions himself though, he was simply a two-way messenger, much like Barnier.

Comment

• St. John
                              Rank 3 Registered User

John - I'm frankly not bothered about NI, it has been the tail wagging the dog throughout these negotiations. It's not more than the sum of its parts at all. It's a very small country with a trivial GDP and a relatively large deficit. I would hard Brexit and literally ignore the border and leave it to the EU to quibble with ROI over.

Comment

• Agent K
                                Rank 5 Registered User

The unionists are going to love that suggestion..........

Comment

• Bradburger
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

So, Dominic Raaaaaaaab resigns over a deal he negotiated? that takes the current level of incompetence to a whole new level........
                                  And what makes you think that?

He didn't really make the decisions himself though, he was simply a two-way messenger, much like Barnier.
                                  Indeed, and any involvement he did have, it would seem he found himself cast aside, much like David Davis!

It looks very much like a 'no deal' (or what the majority of the UK electorate voted for) could well become a reality.

Cheers

Paul

The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

Comment

• John Green
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

One can ignore NI if it is thought that the republican movement is dead and buried. I see no evidence to support that. The impetus for a united Ireland remains.

There are two irreconcilable strands; the separation of NI from GB (sic) = EU hard border, and united Ireland sensitivities = republican endgame. No one wants to see Ireland - North and South, revert to the savagery and political intractability of pre Good Friday Agreement times. That, and that primarily, is what I believe is at stake.

Comment

• St. John
                                      Rank 3 Registered User

We deal with savagery every year thanks to our Islamist friends anyway. The IRA would barely even be noticed by today's standards.

Comment

• Bruce
                                        Independent analyst

We are heading for one of two things here - No deal, or No Brexit at all. Cant call it either way right now - but the chances of another referendum have just increased I suspect.

John, surprisingly, I agree with your last statement.

Comment

• Agent K
                                          Rank 5 Registered User

"We deal with savagery every year thanks to our Islamist friends anyway. The IRA would barely even be noticed by today's standards"

Well then you are ignorantly unaware of and unaffected by the NI and mainland terrorist campaign. Check the details and numbers, I think you'll find the IRA would still be classified as the majority.
                                          Last edited by Agent K; 15th November 2018, 11:47.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X