Shadow Defence Secretary compares Trident submarines to Spitfire aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 5 months

Can't see the. CAA allowing one of those to fly in private hands ?

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

I guess he doesn't agree with Mr Corbyn then!

Member for

15 years 3 months

I guess he doesn't agree with Mr Corbyn then!

hi, morning,
does anyone?

regards,
jack...

Member for

24 years 2 months

Oh dear yes! Sometimes people are promoted far beyond their ability !

Member for

14 years 5 months

Um.. it wasn't meant in a good way! She explained her statement on Radio 4 this morning by saying that as subs increasingly cannot 'hide', their utility as strategic weapon systems is decreasing.. so that soon they will be as 'archaic' as the Spitfire, in terms of their usefulness to the UK's defence. Poor analogy, not really thought through. She was taken apart on a point of logic. She wouldn't last five minutes on this forum!

No idea if that's how JC understands the situation, but they will be in receipt of the same briefings.

Member for

14 years 5 months

hi, morning,
does anyone?

regards,
jack...

Yes. Just not many in the demographic of this forum.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Oh dear yes! Sometimes people are promoted far beyond their ability !

I'm not sure any position in a Corbyn shadow cabinet can be considered a promotion. From there you are just as likely to make cabinet rank for real as Screaming Lord Sutch is.

But listen, If a Spitfire in round terms cost £10,000 in 1940 and now sells for around £2.5 million, then investing £100 billion now seems like it will get us out of all our financial difficulties (assuming Labour never get their hands on the economy) by 2090.

Moggy

Member for

14 years 5 months

Maybe I should have said De - moggy - raphic.

Only works if the asset remains publicly owned as it inflates in value.. :). Back to GD, methinks?

Member for

16 years 2 months

I would rather like to ask Ms Thornberry where exactly she got this super intelligence re drones and detection of ballistic missile submarines?

Forgive me but that sounds like a rather convenient excuse to give to the less than interested or thoughtful general public if you are planning to destroy a major element of the nations defence for no better reason than you have a personal dislike of it.

Thank (insert deity of choice) that she and her idiot fool of a kremlin master will never get into power. (Crosses fingers and everything else whilst touching wood.)

Member for

17 years 6 months

She explained on Radio 4 this morning by saying that as subs increasingly cannot 'hide'...

They don't need to hide.

Range of a Trident II D5: 7,500 miles

Distance to Moscow from, I don't know.....Gare Loch? Anybody?

Member for

16 years 2 months

Rather diminishes the argument for mounting the weapon(s) on subs don't you think?
Somewhat more vulnerable to first strike or even sabotage when located at a know point no?

Member for

17 years 6 months

One of the problems with Trident Submarines is that they never 'phone home' for fear of giving-away their position; even in peacetime they sail out on patrol and it is only when they sail back in a month later that you know that they haven't been lost in an accident (or been lost to enemy action).

The United Kingdom has (currently) four Trident Submarines so they could be almost anywhere but at least two are usually at the submarine base on the Gare Loch.

Member for

14 years 5 months

If the intelligence that JC and wassername are getting is accurate then all we need to do is ask the Russians where they are.

Member for

13 years 5 months

Keep Trident and make up the cost through other cuts to the armed forces. Everybody wins!

Member for

19 years 4 months

Thornberry fell out with Ed on the run up to the last election after derisory comments about a chap who had a football flag outside his house.
Ed was concerned that it may look to the voting public that Labour don't care about the underprivileged or working classes after all,so she was moved on.

Member for

10 years 5 months

Blimey - I was only having a bit of fun, I didn't mean to start a Commons debate! ?

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 4 months

Actually she was making a reference to the top secret plan "Spitfire ". I could tell you what this is about but then I would have to kill you. Suffice it to say fellow forumites will be able to deduce how it is possible to make large objects impossible to find just using oiled paper, some timber and a big hole, now known as the Spitfire Syndrome. :D

Member for

17 years 6 months

Well, exactly. You can always bury objects in a big hole...

...but then nobody is going to want big holes near their house. ;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

'Keep Trident and make up the cost through other cuts to the armed forces. Everybody wins!'

There isn't anything left to cut!

Member for

13 years 5 months

'Keep Trident and make up the cost through other cuts to the armed forces. Everybody wins!'

There isn't anything left to cut!

I'm sure I could find something.... *sharpens knives*

I'd start with anything that appeared more suited to neo-colonial adventures like Afghanistan and Iraq than protecting the fundamental security interests of the nation, i.e. territorial integrity, trade routes.