St. Edmund

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

To-day, 20th November is the Feast Day of Saint Edmund the Patron Saint of England. Bury St. Edmund's in East Anglia, is related.

Having been murdered by the Danes in defence of his Christianity, he was elevated to matyrdom. His motif is the gold Crown and Arrows on a blue field often incorporated into a flag.

Original post

Member for

14 years 1 month

Bury St Edmunds is one of our favourite places to visit.
Shall be there next Friday for the Christmas Fair

Member for

18 years 10 months

Thought you was talking about the ship, it was parked next to me whilst on the Rangatiri, Falklands, 1982.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Having been murdered by the Danes in defence of his Christianity, he was elevated to matyrdom.

It was 1146 years ago, only seems like last week.

Member for

10 years 8 months

Another religious nutter who believed that his god would be enough to prevent against armed terrorists.

If only he had a gun, eh Linc?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Another religious nutter....

Glad to see religious tolerance is alive and well in the U.K. :)

Member for

12 years 8 months

Whereas in the US.....

To be fair to SNAFU, Edmund was religious, and he allegedly encouraged the Danes to shoot arrows into him in the mistaken belief that, like his hero st. Sebastian, he would not be killed. St. sebastian was clubbed to death immediately after he wasn't killed by arrows, so Edmund perhaps wasn't wise to use him as a role model.

So to sum up, he was apparently pious and perhaps not the full shilling under the circumstances

However as he is first only briefly mentioned some time after his death in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle*, most information about him was, to be frank, made up by later medieval chroniclers. This led to the cult of St. Edmund that was very strong in the early medieval period

*The Anglo Saxon chronicle is often argued as a great example of history written by the victors with a particular (religious) axe to grind although this has been disputed. Having said that it is a remarkable survivor and undoubtedly has a very strong strand of truth running within it and is the best history we have of the period

Member for

13 years

It was 1146 years ago, only seems like last week.

A mathematician as well as an historian - is there no beginning to your talents 1

Member for

13 years

Another religious nutter who believed that his god would be enough to prevent against armed terrorists.

If only he had a gun, eh Linc?

Snafu thanks,

You brought a grin to my gnarled old visage.

Member for

13 years

Trekbuster

You have hidden depths - I'm impressed. You haven't been wallowing thru' Wiki ?

The broad theme of the Anglo Saxon Chronicle up until its disappearance in the late 13th century was anti Norman. Both Stenton and Barlow thought that its presence formed a vital part of the continued resistance to Norman rule ensuring that the myth of the continuity of the Norman Yoke would remain just that; a myth, and England would never be completely under Norman control.

Revenge for Hastings came in 1107 when an Anglo Saxon army defeated a much larger Norman one at the Battle of Tinchbrai in Normandy.

Member for

13 years

Thanks to someone for correcting the title.

Member for

10 years 8 months

I am not so much intolerant, more bemused at the kind of belief in a being that is evident only in the minds of believers, a book or two of medieval science fiction, especially when they are frequently so demanding that you believe and intolerant of those who cannot or will not share their beliefs.
I am sure you would understand it if I were to query if Edmund was, for example, only doing it because he'd been promised 72 virgins on arrival in paradise, rather than the reality of a hole in the ground, becoming wormfood, and an eternity of nothing...

Member for

19 years 5 months

My point was simply, calling someone because they believe in a religion that you don't, a "nutter" isn't going to help anything.
I'd think that last week would have illustrated that.

Member for

19 years 5 months

A mathematician as well as an historian - is there no beginning to your talents 1

Let me know if you get the (obviously too) subtle point I was making. :)

Member for

13 years

JB

Every once in a while, transatlantic humour gets the better of me. This is one such occasion !

Member for

12 years 8 months

Trekbuster

You have hidden depths - I'm impressed. You haven't been wallowing thru' Wiki ?

I'm glad to be able to surprise you. As it happens, the period in history roughly from the time the Romans left britain to the end of the hundred years war (yes I know, quite along time) is one of my other interests and I have done a fair bit of reading on the subject over the years.
so to answer your slightly backhanded compliment, no I didn't have to wade through Wiki.

Member for

10 years 8 months

My point was simply, calling someone because they believe in a religion that you don't, a "nutter" isn't going to help anything.
I'd think that last week would have illustrated that.

Oh, I'm sure Edmund doesn't care seeing as how he has been dead for, well, these past 1146 years now...

...Unless he is up there with his invisible friend and 72 virgins, of course?

Member for

24 years 3 months

We were in Bury yesterday. I would advise all to steer clear next weekend when the Ye Olde Christmas Fayre is on. It's horrendous - unless you happen to like shuffling along in a tightly packed crowd as you progress at 1 metre per minute between tat stalls and food that smells delicious but you'll have to wait hours for.

My favourite haunt now is the much improved "One Bull" but it's a bit close to the Fayre, you may find The Fox, down towards Ram Meadow preferable.

Moggy

Member for

11 years 6 months

Alan tells us that he and Mrs A will be there so they must enjoy the shuffle!!;)

What's the Angel like these days? I spent many a happy lunch there in the 70s.

Member for

13 years

Re 18

I've had my doubts about Welby. Comes across as a sanctimonious hand wringer.