Stupid rules 101

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 7 months

So that's a no, then!;)

Member for

15 years 11 months

I had a similar situation recently.

A friend fractured two vertebrae and was discharged from hospital with twenty-eight days supply of prescription medicine including some very strong pain-killers, or so he thought. After a couple of days of convalescing he discovered that instead of twenty-eight days of pain-killers he had only been given twenty-eight tablets, or about three days worth.

For better or worse, this is becoming common practice, all about budgets, basically the hospital only issue enough medication until you can get to your GP, the charges for said medication land on the GP's budget rather than the hospital's.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Jims laser surgery it to the back of his retina and the procedure is to go in through his rectum....... Ahh I wish:p

Member for

13 years 10 months

Tony, Your an A'Hole, however it wouldn't be the first time that some Op hasn't been carried out that way.............:D
Jim

Lincoln .7

Member for

17 years 7 months

For better or worse, this is becoming common practice, all about budgets, basically the hospital only issue enough medication until you can get to your GP, the charges for said medication land on the GP's budget rather than the hospital's.

That all seems slightly ridiculous when the cost is, effectively, all borne by the NHS (and hence the taxpayers); especially as this bureaucratic financial allocation possibly has a detrimental effect on what are, by definition, people in poor health. It certainly seems to waste the time, effort and money of the patients.

But on the other hand with any large organisation it must be important to know how and where the money is being spent, because without knowing this, how does anybody know if the money is being spent wisely?

Member for

13 years 10 months

Whatever happened to the good ole days?, I went to my Drs today for my annual Flu Jab.
Once upon a time, the nurse would say, "You will just feel a little prick".:D which brought a wry smile to my face. Nowadays it's just, "You will feel a little scratch".
All P.C. old chap!!.
Jim
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 1 month

Flu jabs, I had one about 10 years a go and felt bloody ill for days I have declined ever since and so far have not had the flu.

Member for

11 years 7 months

Apart from being laid very low by Asian Flu in 1957 I've never had flu before or since. Perhaps I've built in immunity to H2N2!!!

Member for

13 years 10 months

Chas, I too had that Asian Flu, and I can honestly say, it was the worse thing I have ever had in my life. It damned near killed me. Certainly woldnt wish to have that again.
Many died from it, don't know how many.Mind you I was 16 at the time, and very healthy, so perhaps that helped.
Jim
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years 10 months

Flu jabs, I had one about 10 years a go and felt bloody ill for days I have declined ever since and so far have not had the flu.

Things , advances in the field of medicines, advances at a very rapid rate these days Paul, What they couldn't cure yesterday, they can today.
Why don't you give it another go, you may well be pleasantly surprised.And on the plus side, it may well save your life.
Jim
Lincoln .7

Member for

19 years 3 months

One of the 'pleasures' of working away from home is finding out who is helpful in the health service,I have a 3 monthly regular injection and to save a 150 mile round trip - I started getting it done at a local walk in NHS centre - all went well for 3 jabs but then it all derailed (partly budgetary ?) - they started to question why I needed it and said they did not have any clinical notes (I had signed a doc which gave them permission to talk to my own surgery LOL),they did not ask why I needed the jab so therefore their own blood test was inadequate and far too basic.The episode got to farcical proportions when they called my gp's and they said they did not know why I needed the jab : ) - obviously could not read medical notes LOL
The walk in doctor started to get very sarcastic at which time I banged out and drove 150 mile round trip to very helpful nurse back home !

Ah well my mission to help save the planet was derailed by medical 'logic' :D

Member for

19 years 3 months

As far as photo ID goes - the photo licence is really useful - I use it as ID for internal flights etc !

Member for

13 years 10 months

One of the 'pleasures' of working away from home is finding out who is helpful in the health service,I have a 3 monthly regular injection and to save a 150 mile round trip - I started getting it done at a local walk in NHS centre - all went well for 3 jabs but then it all derailed (partly budgetary ?) - they started to question why I needed it and said they did not have any clinical notes (I had signed a doc which gave them permission to talk to my own surgery LOL),they did not ask why I needed the jab so therefore their own blood test was inadequate and far too basic.The episode got to farcical proportions when they called my gp's and they said they did not know why I needed the jab : ) - obviously could not read medical notes LOL
The walk in doctor started to get very sarcastic at which time I banged out and drove 150 mile round trip to very helpful nurse back home !

Ah well my mission to help save the planet was derailed by medical 'logic' :D

That's a bit unusual Baz. I am between 4 different Hospitals, 3 of which are in different Counties. They can all at the push of a button, bring all my medical notes up, at any given Hospital. I was under the impression that that facility was the same for us all, obviously not !.
Jim
Lincoln .7

Member for

19 years 3 months

Hi Jim - I think it all depends on who you are dealing with - The NHS has wasted gazillions on useless computer systems LOL
Hospitals probably are able to share more info than local practices !

cheers baz

Member for

10 years 9 months

Different hospitals, different trusts, different budgets, different computer systems.

I was once on the books of two different surgeries in different areas after moving house - the first one hadn't removed me from its record and was still claiming for me at the same time as the second (caused no end of problems). And everytime we've moved and tried to register at a new surgery the entire family has to go and get checked out before they will accept us; this is so that they can see if they can budget for us or if we are likely to eat into their budget by being smokers, or obese, or into dangerous activities that might require long term consultation. When I asked why this was necessary because surely (obviously) all this was on our records I was told that they didn't get our records, they wouldn't be transferred and why did I think that was a problem?
Eldest daughter has a stomach problem: GP referred her to hospital about 10 miles away, who sends us to a consultant at another hospital 25 miles away - who asks what the problem is! Well, we said, she has this problem...
Right, lets get her blood taken.
Ok, but she had blood taken for this reason three months ago.
Did she? Don't have a record of that. Are you sure it was here?
No, it was at the hospital who referred us to you.
Ah, so she has been seen by somebody has she? What did they think it was?
They didn't know so sent us to you.
Oh. Better get some bloods taken then...
Same test, same result, same uming and ahing. And we received a letter from the first hospital for an appointment where, essentially, they asked us what the consultant thought the problem was! Later we had the same thing with the GP, who hadn't heard we'd been sent to a consultant...
Eldest daughter is still suffering since they can't identify the problem, so they are carrying out a try this pill type of investigation in the hope of finding something that helps.

Member for

13 years 1 month

About 3 months ago my wife was taken to the new super hospital(Southmead in Bristol) with chest pains, She gets them often and it is costecondritis which settles after a couple of hours with a couple of ibuferen. This presented differently so I called an ambulance arrived in 2 minutes!!!. Anyway in A&E they did not think it was serious and asked me about her medication etc.Some questions I could not answer so I said "Why do you not get the information from the GP's computer"(it was 8.30 at night) I was told they could not access any information from Health centers. Go back 2 weeks and we were in the Doctors Surgery and I wanted to know if my test results had come back my Doctor said no but hang on a minute. He popped a card into his computer and accessed the above Hospitals system and got my results! So the system only works one way. I would have thought it would have been better if some one arriving in hospital as an emergency would mean it would have been better if the system would allow them at least to do the same,but that is me being silly expecting that.

Member for

11 years 7 months

Most of all of the above bear out my contention that the problems the NHS undoubtedly has are largely managerial and administrative not clinical.

A few years ago our local hospital "lost" my wife's X-Rays and accompanying notes during the period prior to hip replacement surgery, TWICE! She received a package of forms to fill in a part of the complaint follow-up which seemed more concerned in identifying her ethnic, social and religious characteristics than finding the reason for the failures.