Rugby World Cup

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years

The media seem to be pushing the rugby world cup like mad, but I wonder what the level of interest is
in the UK ?
I have tried watching it on TV, but given the choice of watching England play last night, or watching
Gardener's World, I preferred to watch Monty and his dog Nigel :)
Then editing photos taken at Duxford.

Original post

Member for

13 years 9 months

May be a different ball game when they play Wales Alan.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 5 months

Depends if it's your thing or not, I suppose. Rugger and cricket are the sports I follow with most pleasure but I know only a few of us do here.

I enjoyed the ITV presentation and no doubt audiences will build the more success the home nations achieve.

I happily sacrificed Monty and Nigel as well as Resistance to catch up later.:)

Member for

14 years

May be a different ball game when they play Wales Alan.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Yes Jim, I could probably find something to paint :)

Member for

12 years 8 months

Well done Japan!

Member for

11 years 5 months

Amazing! ?

Member for

12 years 11 months

The level of interest here ?

Enough to always fill 80,000 seat stadiums.

Soccer is really for girls !

Member for

13 years 9 months

"Soccer is really for girls". Couldn't agree more John. A long time ago, I well remember a game of Rugby, and during a Scrum, one player had a part of his ear bitten off. He left the pitch, got his ear bandaged up, and was back in the game at no time at all.
Get a Footballer get a tap on his ankle, and he is "Writhing in agony" on the pitch, taken off, and no more games for many a long week whilst still being paid the sort of wages, WE could only dream about.
Jim
Lincoln .7

Member for

12 years 11 months

Wasn't yesterday marvellous ? A Sunday to end all Sunday's ! Three games of international rugby - a rugbyfest if ever there was one.

I thought for one briefly delicious moment that the kingpins were going to be upended by Argentina but, no. I have tho' seen the Kiwis play a lot better.

Scotland v Japan to come on Wed. How do you 'call' that one ?

Member for

11 years 5 months

I think Vern Cotter's lot might just be in for a shock....Steve Borthwick's been doing a damn fine job with the Jap pack, hasn't he?

Member for

12 years 11 months

I hope the Emperor elevates him to Samurai. Banzai !

Member for

12 years 11 months

I've just watched a repeat of the Boks/Japan match - wowie, what a game. Best so far. So impressed with Jap commitment and skill.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Reminder to all three rugby supporters on this forum. Japan v Scotland to-day. Not to be missed. Start time 2.30pm.

All potential Scotland supporters; remember Murray's exhortation !

Member for

11 years 5 months

If they play like they played again st SA, I think Scotland will be in real trouble.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Japanese have peeked. They will lose against Scotland.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Wishful thinker...!!!:D

Member for

12 years 11 months

Bugaration !!!

Member for

11 years 5 months

Just as the Japs were running our of steam and making mistakes after the short 4 day break the Scots defence stepped up several gears and there was no way through. Their next match is 10 days away so they'll be fresh as daisies then! I haven't written them off yet. But the Scots made some fine plays and Laidlaw had an excellent game on his home ground.

Member for

12 years 11 months

Very predictable win for the Kiwis. I can't help thinking that as well as being a serious mismatch, the kind of inbalance of skills doesn't do much for either of the teams. Perhaps some kind of handicap system is needed.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Very predictable win for the Kiwis. I can't help thinking that as well as being a serious mismatch, the kind of inbalance of skills doesn't do much for either of the teams. Perhaps some kind of handicap system is needed.

But then you would not have such corkers as SA and Japan.

Member for

12 years 11 months

I understand that it is generally a good idea and beneficial for the less experienced teams to run up against some class opposition - from time to time but, what is needed for rugby to gain ground as a world wide popular sport akin to soccer is, support from their country as a whole.

If they return home after several heavy defeats in a row, the natives will think that they're rubbish and the game won't progress in popularity. I take your point about Japan and SA, it was a corker, for my money, the best so far.

Perhaps the opinions of the less accomplished nations could be canvassed as to the best method of making a more level playing field.