Is it just me or is it wrong that they refuse to prosecute someone who has dementia,

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

But they will actively go after you if you are dead, as in Jimmy Saville's case... Sorry, but if you can rightly find Saville guilty and seek recompense for his victims, you CAN AND SHOULD go after this dementia suffering Lord Janner scumbag and his monies, and jail him. He should also be stripped of his title.

Rant over...

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

Can you elucidate further ,or even enlighten the forum on what this is about?

Member for

11 years 6 months

Good to see that " innocent before being proved guilty" alive and well on this forum!!:rolleyes:

Member for

14 years 1 month

But they will actively go after you if you are dead, as in Jimmy Saville's case... Sorry, but if you can rightly find Saville guilty and seek recompense for his victims, you CAN AND SHOULD go after this dementia suffering Lord Janner scumbag and his monies, and jail him. He should also be stripped of his title.

Rant over...

I tend to agree

Quote..."Lord Janner should have been charged with historic child sex offences on three occasions over 25 years and
will now never be prosecuted because of the 'severity' of his dementia, the Crown Prosecution Service said today...."

Although he was still fit enough to work up until 2013. (yes I do know how this illness works)

So yet another one is off the hook. This goes way back. It's no secret that a certain Prime Minister was involved
in a cover up. It is also claimed the Government is refusing to publish at least four other files on historic child abuse
because it is worried about what information may come out before May's General Election.

I remember when the revelations about Savile first became public knowledge, following the documentary about him.
So many people were still saying that it couldn't be true, and that he was a lovely person.

The names of those involved can be found on the Internet, and are common knowledge to many of those in the press
as well as current politicians. It involves those who were right at the top in politics, covered up by high ranking officers
in the police force.

It's a volcano waiting to erupt.

Member for

11 years 6 months

OK - let it erupt. Until then post #3 applies. History is littered with the tattered reputations of those wrongfully accused of crimes of which they were innocent.

If the CPS are confident of convictions let's see people brought to book.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Savile never stood in a court of law. So there will always be that element of doubt as to his guilt.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Alan Neither did Hitler!

Member for

13 years 1 month

I wonder if Janner will do an "Ernest Saunders" and recover now he is not to be prosecuted?

Member for

14 years 1 month

Alan Neither did Hitler!

I was going to mention him, but thought some might feign offence.

Member for

13 years

To answer the opening comment: You can't put on trial someone who has an alleged mental incapacity.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Then how can they find Saville guilty after his death and split up his estate as recompense? Surely if you cannot try someone who is not fully there or dead and find them guilty, then you have no proof to strip him of his assets whilst dead or alive.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Surely it's up to someone's defence lawyer in a court of law to prove incapacity, and therefore have charges dropped. Not for someone within the CPS to decide not to progress the case to court in the first place.

Member for

13 years

Tony,

I might be wrong but, I don't think that Saville was found guilty before a court. After all he would have been somewhat short of breath ! The executor of Saville's estate after allowing for Saville's Will bequests would/could, presumably, have made some voluntary recompense.

Member for

15 years

Surely it's up to someone's defence lawyer in a court of law to prove incapacity, and therefore have charges dropped. Not for someone within the CPS to decide not to progress the case to court in the first place.

The CPS are perfectly entitled not to proceed with a case if there's no prospect of a conviction; it happens all the time, and, if the man's certified ga-ga (and you can bet his legal/medical team will ensure that's the case,) they're not going to spend the nation's money on a pointless exercise.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Short of breath, indeed, John. I believe that Saville's family who were the main beneficiaries made some private recompense. But since it was private we are unlikely to know for sure. They certainly had his remains disinterred and re buried.

Member for

14 years 1 month

As the majority of the (alleged) guilty parties in this sordid affair are getting pretty geriatric by now,
I wonder if it is the intention to drip feed the names of these people to the general public, choosing those
who are either dead, or very nearly dead.
Knowing that once one of them actually gets to court, the whole pack of cards will come tumbling down.

Leon Brittan was another who go away with it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The allegations in the Jimmy Saville affair have an overwelming amount of evidence to support them . The various organisations who employed Saville or allowed him access to their property will be the principal target for the lawyers seeking redress for their clients.

In terms of Lord Janner -I believe civil proceedings should be commenced.

Member for

11 years 6 months

In comparison with the strength of the multiplicity of allegations against Savile none of the other individuals alleged to have committed offences come close. And fatuous comments about individuals having "got away with it" are wholly irresponsible.

In an ideal world I agree that Jenner should face trial if the CPS believe the evidence is strong enough but their track record is less than impressive. The other problem would be the prospect of a long drawn out trial of an old and apparently dementia affected defendant ultimately preventing a jury from reaching a verdict.

Member for

14 years 1 month

In comparison with the strength of the multiplicity of allegations against Savile none of the other individuals alleged to have committed offences come close. And fatuous comments about individuals having "got away with it" are wholly irresponsible.

How else to you explain why we only hear about the exploits of these individuals, once they have died ?

It's irresponsible that Margaret Thatcher hushed up the exploits of Cyril Smith amongst many others.

Irresponsible that the police took no action against Savile, having known what he was up to, for over 20years.

Member for

15 years

How else to you explain why we only hear about the exploits of these individuals, once they have died ?

Because you can't (in the legal sense) slander or libel the dead, and those with money can afford the most expensive legal teams, then tie up the opposition for so long that they go bankrupt. Maxwell ruled by fear of legal action (and its cost,) and his behaviour only came to light after his "accidental" suicide.

Member for

11 years 6 months

The tide has turned - people are unafraid of talking, witchhunts are rife and both living and the dead are good meat. In some cases sucessful prosecutions have been brought, others have have failed. It is unsurprising.

And bear in mind that the tabloid perception of underage sex is that it is worse than murder.