Sugar in Food

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's the latest thing to worry about, I prefer to think of 'being aware about' - sugar in food. the old culprit (saturated fat) is being supplemented by sugar and salt in foods. I'm at work with (for convenience) a can of Heinz tomato soup, and have just googled that it contains four teaspoons of sugar. I really don't want to consume four teaspoons of sugar! At least I know now, so I think public health awareness, although wearysome, has a place in this world. Problem is, taking on the might of the food manufacturers doesn't tie in well with vested interests.

We've all got to die sometime, there's no point in worrying about it, but you can do something when empowered with knowledge. The rise in diabetes (a horrible disease) is prompting me to have a look at some of my eating habits.

'Food for thought?'

Original post

Member for

11 years 5 months

It will probably be discovered in another year or two and another report or two that sugar is the best thing since sliced bread. Not that that's all that good either...!! At my age I really don't about the endless succession of nutritional reports coming our way.

Eat fresh as much as possible and in moderation and you won't go far wrong.

Member for

12 years 11 months

A teacher of diet and nutrition, Prof. John Yudkin was I believe, the first academic to highlight the evils of refined sugar. He wrote extensively on the subject around fifty years or more ago. The decline in the incidence of cardio vascular disease in WW2 was attributed to the scarcity of sugar.

Member for

24 years 2 months

I haven't got a particularly sweet tooth so sugar doesn't bother me much

But I love savoury stuff and salt will be my downfall.

Moggy

Member for

11 years 5 months

John

Have you read "Pure White and Deadly"? His seminal work on the effects of processed sugars published in 1970 I think. We had it for years but it disappeared in a move. I think it was republished a few years ago.

Member for

12 years 11 months

..."salt will be my downfall....."

It needn't be provided you switch from sodium chloride to potassium chloride. Potassium isn't quite as 'salty' as sodium but, is still an excellent substitute and won't upset your electrolyte balance as readily as sodium.

Like you, the savoury stuff does it for me.

Member for

12 years 11 months

I remember that book very well ! He, in no uncertain terms lifted the lid on the dreadful long term effects of refined sugar consumption and the role played by the manufacturers of processed foodstuffs.

Member for

18 years 2 months

..."salt will be my downfall....."

It needn't be provided you switch from sodium chloride to potassium chloride. Potassium isn't quite as 'salty' as sodium but, is still an excellent substitute and won't upset your electrolyte balance as readily as sodium.

Like you, the savoury stuff does it for me.

Could I add a note of caution re potassium chloride and suggest that you consult with your doctor rather than instigating such a change yourself.

"Potassium chloride is a salt that contains chlorine and potassium, a major ion of the body. Small changes in potassium levels can have far-reaching effects on the heart and neuromuscular system."

"Excessive potassium levels (hyperkalemia) can have serious consequences on the heart, including: hypoventilation, cardiac arrhythmias (heart rhythm disturbances), heart attack, or even cardiac arrest."

Member for

24 years 2 months

It's not so much the stuff I add, except on chips that is quite modest.

It's a loving for crisps, twiglets, salted roast cashews, and especially.... MARMITE!

Moggy

Member for

11 years 5 months

Presumably that latter item would be spread on top of dripping on a slice or two of hot toast, with butter as an optional extra!!:D

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Seafuryfan,
If your worried about the sugar content in food and diabetes I would recommend a visit to your GP and have a blood sugar level test to see if you have diabetes, you do not have to be obese or overweight you can be fit as the proverbial butchers dog and still have contracted the disease in fact many have it and never realise it I recommend a test to everyone who mention it.
The other thing about it's use in food is that is added just as a bulking agent for example it's piled into Margarine and Milk especially all in the name of making a profit for the company that produces whatever item of food they are selling.

Geoff.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Presumably that latter item would be spread on top of dripping on a slice or two of hot toast, with butter as an optional extra!!:D

Butter? Lard dear boy, lard.

If your worried about the sugar content in food....... added just as a bulking agent for example it's piled into Margarine and Milk

Sugar piled into milk? What? Can you point us at your source for this somewhat unlikely sounding event?

Moggy

Member for

11 years 5 months

I stressed the marmite on dripping. Dripping was the result of roasting red meat in a healthy dollop of lard, when I were but a lad!! So nothing more nutricious!!

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Moggy c,
Yes a nurse when I went into hospital when first diagnosed with diabetes and as she dealt with diabetics on a daily basis I assumed as any normal person would she knew what she was on about, but I grant you I have never done any research into this but will do so and let you know if your interested.
I have found this and while I admit it does not apply to sugar as in what we know in the granulated form it does refer to it's chemical forms so to speak.
http://www.foodproductdesign.com/Articles/1996/06/Bulking-Agents--Bulking-Up-While-Scaling-Down.aspx?topic=citric-acid

Geoff.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Thanks to all the replies to this thread. Good pointer Geoff, cheers. Recent health check came back ok , always good to hear opinions from the forum.

Member for

9 years 3 months

I have celiac disease which has messed up my gut. The big issue with me is all the fructose they put in the food. I an a fructose intolerance, which is common to celiacs.