The Interstella Film Nitpicking (or discussion)Thread.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

The new film Interstellar is great and this thread will most likely contain a few spoilers.
This isn't really a nit picking thread but I wanted to discuss some of the events that happen in the film,
because quite frankly I don't understand them!

Time travel near black holes.
How is it possible that visiting a planet near a black hole can alter time so that a 2 hour visit takes 28 years earth time?
This is a nitpick :-) Why didn't they take the crewman with them and leave the robot on board. Isn't is a bit inhuman to make the
astronaut suffer 28 years solitary? And how exactly did the previous visitor to the planet only have just arrived before the rescue crew got there.
Didn't it take several years to get there? Oh and what was keeping the space ship in orbit for 28 years?

The Matt Damon character lied so he would be rescued. Wouldn't he have to send some proof before anyone would believe him. The planet was pretty baren. Didn't they have cameras.

How exactly do you get 300 feet waves in a sea that was only 2 feet deep and if they knew the planet was covered in water why didn't they bring a rubber inflatable speed boat with them?

Thanks.

Original post

Member for

12 years 11 months

Ir's a film. A work of fiction. Someone's imagination.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Hampden - John is right of course although even scifi works best when it attempts to logically extend the frontiers of the science we comprehend.

I have accepted the discontinuities simply because I think he has succeeded in making a visually and mentally stimulating film. But neither it not any other has matched Kubrick's 2001.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Booring lot :-)

Member for

11 years 5 months

???

Member for

9 years 6 months

Films, as reviewed by Temple Grandin.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
I for one am looking forward to when I eventually see it, films for me are quite simple to review you either like or you don't being over critical just doesn't make sense as when it comes down to the bones reviews are just what one critic personally likes or dislikes about any film.
Yes historical accuracy is important as is accuracy of props,costume,continuity etc.etc. but on the whole you will either like or dislike, my bug-bear are people who pan films before even released as for example the new Star Wars trailer and complaining about the new Light-Saber hilt pathetic really! but that's just my personal opinion which is I would say very different from others, I just watch a film in a genre I like and don't bother with being to critical, I want to enjoy not watch for failure unless it's very blatant mistakes that should have been addressed at the making.

Geoff.