Hypothetical, I kow, BUT?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 10 months

Having been Born in 1941, I have during my 73 yrs, seen many, many inventions one would thought never would have been possible.
As I will not be here in another 73yrs, what do you see as possible inventions we don't have today, in the next 73yrs?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

I'll tell you something that will be available within five years...

...an 'app' (is that the right spelling?) for your mobile that can tell 100% if somebody is lying!

Imagine how that will change the world; job interviews, relationships (!), crime detection and punishment?

Member for

17 years 6 months

A cure for cancer... Extended lifespans....

Though the way things are going these days I don't think any of us will be here in 50 yrs let alone 73... I can foresee a nuke or dirty bomb detonated in a western city and the Middle East reduced to glow in the dark glass.

Member for

11 years 6 months

The global loss of immunity to bacteriological infection due to overuse of antibiotics could prove catastrophic unless new drugs are developed to deal with "superbugs" as they are sensationally called.

By 2087 my guess is that the world will be a great deal more different then than it is now compared to 1941. In ways that we cannot predict because of discoveries not yet made. My grandson might well be living and working on Mars.

Member for

15 years

Accurate weather predictions (though it'll probably take most of the 73 years before it happens.)

Member for

13 years 10 months

I was wondering if we on Earth, will be living in a massive sphere on the Moon, do to or ever growing population?.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

16 years

One's perception of the future is squarely based on the present and the real future evolves in a way it is not possible to foresee.

For example, a futurist show car from 1950's America looks like a tarted up 1950's car, not an actual 2014 one.

Member for

11 years 6 months

I am not sure that Arthur C Clarke and George Lucas would agree with you.......;)

Member for

17 years 6 months

I was wondering if we on Earth, will be living in a massive sphere on the Moon...

No, nobody is going to be 'living' on the moon; whatever problems there are on Earth it is never going to be cost-effective to solve them by living on the Moon.

Member for

14 years 7 months

I predict the Hydrogen Reactor and Faster Than Light engines.
Both of these have some semblance of fact about them. Hydrogen Reactors are being studied but as yet a sustained reaction has not been made.
The Hadron Collider has observed faster than light particles but as yet these cannot be ascertained as fact or anomaly.

Member for

17 years 6 months

No, nobody is going to be 'living' on the moon; whatever problems there are on Earth it is never going to be cost-effective to solve them by living on the Moon.

Absolute hogwash, it is well known that Elvis is already living the dream in a London double decker bus on the moon. :p

Member for

20 years 8 months

Tony, don't forget Lord Lucan as well, he's on the moon with Elvis ;)

Member for

11 years 6 months

Quite right - it will be Mars. The Moon is just so 20th century!:D

Member for

13 years 10 months

If your theory is right Chas, will those living there get FREE Mars Bars?.:D.

Jm.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years

The two most likely areas of change ? Medicine and robots.

Medicine ? The ability to create living tissue enabling amputation, damaged hearts, brains and any other part of human tissue to be regenerated as tho' new. Something in addition to stem cells perhaps holding the key ?

Robots ? Moving more and more into those tasks formerly performed only by humans.

Member for

13 years 10 months

I think John, that Sony have built a full size human type of Robot, than can do most things we can do. It was on the Discovery channel.Also, there are robotic arms, that can do Operations on us, without the surgeon lifting a finger on the patient.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

24 years 3 months

AV will be continually upgraded. Friends sets sold out in VHS so they brought out DVD. Friends sets sold out in DVD and poor people bought the VHS sets so they brought out Blu-Ray. Friend's sets sold out in Blu-Ray and the poor people could now afford dvd sets on the car boot.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Medicine ? The ability to create living tissue enabling amputation, damaged hearts, brains and any other part of human tissue to be regenerated as tho' new. Something in addition to stem cells perhaps holding the key ?

I believe they will cure ageing, ageing is the lack of ability of a cell to produce a perfect copy of itself in replacing those that have gone before, it must be a genetic code that triggers the cell to degrade as it reproduces, find the code and the ability to block it and you have the ability to stop ageing.... the problem then becomes that of resources and population control.

fascinating facts

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02cell.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1035037/Old-time-When-body-really-starts-going-downhill.html

Member for

17 years 6 months

Except brain cells don't copy themselves, do they?

Alzheimer's is a big problem now; how do we solve that problem if we all live much longer?

Member for

17 years 6 months

Robots ? Moving more and more into those tasks formerly performed only by humans.

The Japanese have medical-robots to do the heavy-lifting.....of patients.

Member for

17 years 6 months

AV will be continually upgraded...

I've never purchased a CD.....best decision I ever made! :)