Stupid people running with the bulls. Again.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 8 months

It is that time of year, the time that Spaniards taunt and torment bulls before slaughtering them for fun.

Thankfully it is not always a one way event...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229980[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229981[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229982[/ATTACH]

Idiots.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

15 years 10 months

Reminds me of the Spanish restaurant gag.

An american dining out sees one diner's meal brought to the table with a trumpet fanfare and much ceremony, enqires of the waiter what's going on, waiter tells him that the delicacy is the cojones of the bull killed in the arena that day, the american asks for the same meal and is informed that these are all pre-ordered and there is only one serving a day.

Our american holiday maker intrigued by this, although not happy as regards bullfighting decides he must sample this delicacy and places his order, three days later his turn comes up, fanfare of trumpets, plate arrives with two tiny sphericals on the plate, "what is this ? he asks, sometimes senor the bull wins" replies the waiter.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Nice!;)

Member for

13 years

Re 2

Hadn't heard that one before ! Giggles all round.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Thankfully it is not always a one way event...

Idiots.

It amuses me that a State that is member of the EU still permits this level of cruelty (to the bulls, not to the idiots ;-) ).

Likewise, I wonder how the Pamplonians find a way around the EU Health and Safety rules and regulations.... I can just imagine the UK's approach would involve a multi step risk-assessment resulting in all bulls being segregated from runners by a solid barrier so high that a bull could not jump it, all bulls' horns being blunted, all runners running in full helmets and body armour, and all runners having to sign a multi-page disclaimer in triplicate, plus town council charging a massive entrants fee to cover the "all risks" liability insurance they would feel they need to put in place to cover their own ar$es....

Still, it's Darwin's principle in action again, anyone who feels this is a sensible event to enter deserves to have their genes removed from the pool.... and I doubt those "lost" genes woud be missed by the rest of us ;-).

Member for

13 years

Unlike bull fighting, it seems to me that the risk is fairly distributed - in fact slightly loaded in favour of the bull. Unarmed runners risk a horn up the Khyber or, worse.

I do not know what happens to the bulls on completion of the run but, all in all, it seems like great fun.

I'd like to see the 'bleeding hearts' make a loud and impassioned noise about the illegal trade in ivory, tiger parts and rhino horn. How much longer will we enjoy the sights and sounds of wild tigers, elephants and rhinos ? These are the serious issues in wild animal conservation.

Member for

14 years 7 months

I'm in two minds about this.
Is it cruel? No more than herding a frightened animal into a slaughter house.
At least the bull is free to express itself, goes down fighting. Has the opportunity to inflict some retribution.

Member for

11 years 6 months

The last paragraph of #6 rings my bell!

Member for

10 years 8 months

I do not know what happens to the bulls on completion of the run but, all in all, it seems like great fun.

They are running to the bull ring. There they fight to their death, singularly, against one man, and his assistants, and their spears.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]230018[/ATTACH]

All in all it is great fun, unless you are a bull in which case you are dead.

I'd like to see the 'bleeding hearts' make a loud and impassioned noise about the illegal trade in ivory, tiger parts and rhino horn. How much longer will we enjoy the sights and sounds of wild tigers, elephants and rhinos ? These are the serious issues in wild animal conservation.

Why not try making a noise yourself? Push the boat out and complain, yell, start a thread, email an ambassador, write to your MP...

Attachments

Member for

13 years

Believe me, I don't need any advice on making protest noises. If I can't physically help then I put my money where my mouth is - as in the case of endangered animals.

I might even send you a few quid !

Member for

10 years 8 months

Just send it to Linc instead.