Car drivers who use their mobile phones, an easy solution.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 7 months

Why doesn't the government pass a law to have all new cars fitted with a metal gauze installed in the roof to prevent mobile signals.
It's cheap, a quick fix and sorts the problem.
If you want a mobile then cars can be equipped (by law) with an aerial and hands free.
Will save lives and stop all the wasted police hours trying to enforce.

Original post

Member for

11 years 6 months

Yes maybe but what do you do about the hundreds of drivers who drive stupidly, carelessly and irresponsibly and end up causing the majority of accidents.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Why doesn't the government pass a law to have all new cars fitted with a metal gauze installed in the roof to prevent mobile signals.

Because it wouldn't work; most car roofs are steel sheet and mobile phones cope with that fine...

...I suppose you could plate-over the windscreen but I can't see that improving safety!

Member for

15 years 10 months

About the only way some of these mobile idiots would be to make a hand held mobile self destruct if used in a car with the ignition on, can't see that happening somehow.

The worst example I have personally seen, was in a car park, young lad so engrossed in that ultra important, must respond text, didn't notice that his car was slowly rolling and gaining speed on a downward slope, caused much merriment when it ran into a bollard, no-one hurt but the damage to the car was surprising, would love to have seen his insurance claim form.

Member for

19 years 2 months

I had an idiot female roll gently into me in a downhill traffic queue whilst looking intently at something on the passenger seat,I didnt 'toot' in case she hit the wrong pedal - and also I knew she would hit my towbar first : )

Member for

13 years

What is the answer to convertibles then(except rain)?:D

Member for

13 years 10 months

In reply to the O.P. I for one wouldn't like a radio receiving aerial on the roof of my car, and 2, what would the driver of a car fitted as the O.P stated be of any use, if the car was upside down in a dyke, and I have seen many around here during my time.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

13 years

"upside down in a dyke" Kindly keep sex out of this forum Jim!

Member for

20 years 7 months

P/C Brigade kicking in in 10,9,8,7 :rolleyes:

We will never know the true extent of accidents caused or influenced by a mobile phone.All i an say as a pedestrian,car driver and cyclist that if i had a pound for every driver i have seen using one i would be very rich.What annoys me is that i see probably less than 1/2 % but the police don't seem to be doing anything.

Member for

11 years 6 months

No we never will and probably a lot less, as I suggested earlier, than as a result of plain lousy driving.

Member for

11 years 7 months

I think if you ended up upside down in a ditch, not having radio reception would be the least of your worries.

Hands free kits are cheap and easy to use. Many cars have them built in nowadays. No excuses really.

One incident did amuse me the other day. I was sitting at a set of lights in the right lane waiting to turn right. The left lane had a filter light for turning left. (The junction of Ringway Road on to Styal Road near Manchester Airport for anyone that knows it). The filter changed to green and the first car in the queue didn't move. Too busy, head down, texting. I thought Uh oh, there will be toot on the horn any second now. But no. The woman in the car behind was doing the same thing. Brilliant.

Making a phone call while driving is bad enough but texting is so much more dangerous and I see instances daily.

Member for

13 years

I think a ban(say 3 months for a first offence) and points on the licence, 3 for the first offence and 6 for the next.

Why are mobiles so dammed important to answer anyway that second? Pull over and ring the caller back when its safe.
We all managed before they were introduced and answer phones we could run of when we got home or access from a phone box. Its bloody madness putting lives at risk using these things when driving. Yes I do have one but would never use it when driving!

Member for

11 years 6 months

I agree with your last para 100%!!

Member for

11 years 7 months

Being able to communicate while in your car is very useful, especially if you're in it a lot and could be potentially life-saving (I wonder if accident response times are better with phones nowadays) As I said with a hands free facility kit it is no different to talking to someone in the car with you. On the car I have it is all controlled with buttons on the steering wheel.

Member for

20 years 7 months

LOL,;) Sorry just had a vision of the irony of having an accident BECAUSE you were using a phone but oh the convenience of being able to ring for help.

Hands free is better BUT it depends on the conversation i guess.The temptation to look at something else a piece of paper because of a question asked on the hands free for example.
Driving is for driving --phones should be blocked whilst the ignition is on except in an emergency and then that would be flagged up and had to be reset to allow the car to clear it's display and continue punishment free.

Member for

11 years 7 months

So you've never changed radio stations, put on sunglasses or any of a myriad other "non"-driving tasks that you can do in a car. As I said a proper hands-free kit is no different to operating the radio or the cruise control or whatever. I guess if you don't trust yourself not to be distracted then maybe you're right, perhaps you shouldn't use a even a hands free kit.

Member for

15 years 10 months

Tests have shown hands free phones to be almost as distracting as hand held phones, comparison with changing radio stations etc doesn't come into the same league since the majority of cars today have controls placed in a much higher position to avoid the need to look down, granted anyone who starts fiddling with CDs is just as much a menace but usually for a shorter period than a phone call, when it comes to texting while driving, that is every bit as dangerous as driving under the influence or possibly more so.

Member for

11 years 7 months

I would say it depends on the hands free equipment. If it is built in to the car then using it is no different to using any other equipment in the car. If it is the act of being in a phone conversation that is found to be distracting then we will have to ban smoking, radios, music players, sat navs and passengers. The mobile phone is a much easier target though.

Member for

20 years 7 months

So you've never changed radio stations, put on sunglasses or any of a myriad other "non"-driving tasks that you can do in a car. As I said a proper hands-free kit is no different to operating the radio or the cruise control or whatever. I guess if you don't trust yourself not to be distracted then maybe you're right, perhaps you shouldn't use a even a hands free kit.

Do you know just how arrogant you sound? patronising even.

Member for

11 years 7 months

Why is it arrogant? Is it any more arrogant than you wanting to ban something that most others don't have a problem with?

Member for

20 years 7 months

Only the victims of a road accident caused by you arrogant "i'm better than the next possible victim" attitude.You may not have had an accident yet using your mobile but if you didn't use then then you won't but hey it won't happen to you will it.