Care of the elderly

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 8 months

Yet another instance of a care home not providing the care that its residents deserve.

Staff sacking and suspensions over poor elderly care

One staff member has been sacked and seven suspended from one of England's largest care homes after an undercover probe by BBC Panorama found poor care.

The filming at the Old Deanery in Essex showed some residents being taunted, roughly handled and one was slapped.

The home said it was "shocked and saddened by the allegations".

Care Quality Commission figures seen by the BBC show over a third of homes that received warning notices since 2011 still do not meet basic standards.

Allegations of poor care and mistreatment at the 93-bed home in Braintree, where residents pay roughly £700 per week, were first raised by 11 whistleblowers in August 2012.

Essex County Council put it on special measures for three months until concerns were addressed.

But secret filming by Panorama's undercover reporter over 36 shifts found many of the same sorts of issues reported a year earlier, including:

• a woman slapped by a care worker who had previously been complained about for her poor attitude towards residents
  • the same woman, who has dementia and is partially paralysed after a stroke, was also repeatedly mocked and taunted by other care workers
  • cries for assistance from a resident suffering a terminal illness ignored as she sought help for the toilet, and her call bell for assistance left unplugged on one occasion
  • a resident bed-ridden with a chronic illness left lying in his own excrement after two care workers turned off his call bell without assisting him.

Alex Lee, the reporter who conducted the undercover filming, said she saw "many good care workers trying their best" - but also saw some staff "mock, goad, taunt, roughly handle and ignore" elderly residents.

"Some were even left in their own mess for hours," she said.

Last November, while Panorama was undercover, the home was inspected by the regulator and passed for the first time in 18 months.

When the CQC revisited this February after being told about Panorama's findings, they found too few staff and some residents waiting an "unacceptably long time" for call bells to be answered.

Anglia Retirement Homes Ltd, which runs the Old Deanery, said the incidents involved a "small number of staff" and were not reflective of the high standards of care it demanded.

A statement said: "As soon as the new management team was made aware of the allegations we took immediate action.

"We hired an independent law firm to carry out a full investigation as a matter of urgency.

"Eight staff were immediately suspended, and have not returned to work, pending a full inquiry.

"Our priority remains the health and wellbeing of our residents and we have more than 200 dedicated members of staff who remain committed to the highest standards of care."

It added: "The care worker responsible for slapping a resident has been summarily dismissed."

Whistle-blowers
The company was taken over by new owners in November 2013.

A former care assistant at another home, who became a whistleblower, said she had experienced problems not being solved. Eileen Chubb runs a charity called Compassion in Care which supports people reporting misconduct in the industry.

She has had nearly 2,000 calls to her helpline in 14 years and she often found repeated complaints about the same problems in the same homes.

"Every day cases are coming in where there has been up to 15 staff, 20 staff, raising concerns, then six years later, more staff raising the same concerns again," she said.

The CQC said it would work with the care sector to improve standards, but it was determined to ensure problems were addressed.

Its new chief inspector of social care, Andrea Sutcliffe, said she was "shocked and really angry" about the poor care Panorama had found.

She said her "heart goes out" to those affected, but also to the "hundreds of thousands" of good care workers who had been let down by the "small minority".

"People shouldn't be getting into this business if they don't care," she said.

Asked if the CQC's systems were working, she said most care was good and the organisation would act on any concerns raised.

Minister for Care and Support Norman Lamb said there was a "stubborn minority of care providers who do not meet acceptable standards".

"We have to send out the message that there should be no place in our care services for providers of that sort," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27128011

What is it that lets people - carers treat the elderly, the infirm and the vulnerable in this way?
But, once again, what is it that prevents the appropriate authorities from dealing with complaints properly if:

"Every day cases are coming in where there has been up to 15 staff, 20 staff, raising concerns, then six years later, more staff raising the same concerns again,"

If any of you have relatives in a care home I hope they are being treated properly, respectfully. But never be afraid to ask questions about their care.

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

My Nan was in a care home for the last 3 years of her life and died New Years Day.The carers there loved her and trust me she was at times quite a nasty person but 6 of the carers drove 16 miles to her funeral.
You hear about the bad ones [quite rightly ] but there are some excellent ones as well.
What worries me is the low pay ,pay peanuts get monkeys,low morale,starts a downward spiral.

Member for

11 years 6 months

My mother was very well cared for. I have no doubt the there are homes like the one exposed and the one a year ago in Bristol. But I would hope that these are the exceptions and that the majority do offer the level of care expected of them. And I suppose a programme about good care at a cross section of homes would not make sensational television, would it?

Member for

11 years 7 months

Good care should be normal and expected. Poor care deserves to be highlighted. The fact that apparently the Care Quality Commission visited and gave this particular home the all-clear during the Panorama investigation is also worthy of further investigation.