Can anybody identify these?

Attachments
Original post

Member for

18 years 11 months

Birds eggs. Been a slow day today!

Member for

18 years 11 months

Moving on, probably mocking birds in my opinion.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Funny how most bird's eggs are blue, curious!

Member for

18 years 11 months

Cadburys mini eggs :)

Where were they found--if in the UK i doubt they are mocking birds :)

Are there mockingbirds in England?

In: Birds, England [Edit categories]
Answer:
No. The mocking bird is not a native UK species. There may be some in zoos etc

O.K. point to you!

Member for

17 years 6 months

Cadburys mini eggs :)

Ha! I hadn't actually made the connection with Easter!

They are definitely from a species native to the United Kingdom.

Member for

11 years 11 months

Not 100% sure but I think they are Mistle Thrush eggs

Member for

13 years 9 months

I was thinking Blackbirds eggs. I had some similar to these at the bottom of a tree, directly under a nest, in the garden.last year.
But at the moment, DON'T mention birds, unless of the feathered variety.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

18 years 11 months

Great, you are feeling better already Jim, keep it up!!!

Member for

13 years 9 months

Trying hard buddy, trying hard.
Jim.
L7

Member for

17 years 5 months

You need to sit on them for a few hours if they hatch and leave a brown stain, then you know they are generally chocolate.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Blackbird eggs.

Member for

18 years 2 months

It is hard to actually identify birds eggs from a photo, re size and colour.

Creaking Door, But more to the point if they are wild bird eggs and you do not own them legally, you have just left your self wide open for prosecution.

It has been illegal to take birds' eggs from the wild since 1954. Since September 1982, with the introduction of the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, it has also been against the law simply to possess the egg of any British wild bird.

Whilst this is mainly intended to deal with active egg collectors, it means that anyone with any collection of British birds’ eggs may be breaking the law.

Some people have old egg collections in their possession, perhaps discovered in a loft or handed down by an elderly relative.

If you have a genuinely old collection there’s no need to be unduly worried. If you can show that the eggs were taken before the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Protection of Birds Act 1954 in Scotland) came into force, you will not be convicted of possession. You do not have to prove this 'beyond all reasonable doubt' but merely to show that it is likely 'on a balance of probabilities'.

In effect, provided you could satisfy a court that the eggs were taken before 1954, you have nothing to fear. In practice, it is unlikely that with genuinely old collections a case will ever get as far as a court. Experienced investigators and prosecutors should quickly recognise these old collections and are unlikely to think prosecution is appropriate in such cases.

Nevertheless, if you choose to keep the eggs of wild birds, you should be aware that it is possible you may be called upon to show they are lawfully held. If that happens, it is up to you to show that your possession is lawful and not up to the prosecution to show otherwise. The prosecution has only to prove the actual possession.

Member for

18 years 11 months

Thanks, you should learn something new every day, especially where Hindolveston is!

Member for

11 years 5 months

So what does the law require you to do with unbroken eggs lying on the ground under a nearby nest?

Member for

18 years 2 months

leave them there.

Member for

11 years 5 months

Thanks - I did.

Member for

17 years 6 months

...it means that anyone with any collection of British birds’ eggs may be breaking the law.

I didn't collect them.....they fell down my chimney, along with a nest (well, a lot of sticks)...

...and a 'large black bird'.....didn't see it myself, but it was 'not a Blackbird'!

The eggs are both damaged but one looks like it has been deliberately 'pecked' open by a bird so my question is really: were these the eggs of the 'black bird' or was the 'black bird' the predator? And if the 'black bird' was not the predator, then what was?

'Something' has been building a nest on top of our chimney for weeks. We've never seen what, but it could be an elephant judging from the amount of tree that has been falling down the chimney! Every two or three days I set light to it all in the fireplace in an effort to dissuade whatever 'they' are but 'they' didn't take the hint...

...then suddenly (while we were out), 'black bird' and nest (sticks) came down the chimney!

A few days later, when I went to burn the sticks, I discovered the eggs in the fireplace too.

Member for

12 years 9 months

Try Crows.
Dey is big black birds.
Bob