Interesting News Snippets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Green View Post
    Your interpretation of bond investment is completely flawed. That someone somewhere can estimate that your bond market offers stability and steady but modest growth, is a sure indicator of confidence. That is what is now happening.
    As I said, it's not something I'm really close to, but thanks for pointing that out. Maybe you can also correct me here?, are bonds a go to investment option away from shares when the market (and importantly business forecasting) softens?

I can't agree with any statements about increased business confidence, not sure where (or if) you work, but I'm in and managing this daily and my sector is suffering and looking to its expansion outside of the UK, key stocks (infrastructure, building, finance, aerospace) have suffered.

Comment

I think that it really depends upon how much of a gambler one is. If the market is quiet and you have a lot of spare cash and you're looking for unspectacular growth performance allied to security then bonds/gilts must be your forte.

AK, I think it necessary to look beyond your immediate horizon. We can all be a bit parochial when it comes to making financial assessments. I know it is a clich but, look at the bigger picture. When foreign investors start buying into your bond market there might be more than one reason. It makes little difference. It still - in my opinion - indicates strong confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by John Green View Post
        I think that it really depends upon how much of a gambler one is. If the market is quiet and you have a lot of spare cash and you're looking for unspectacular growth performance allied to security then bonds/gilts must be your forte.

AK, I think it necessary to look beyond your immediate horizon. We can all be a bit parochial when it comes to making financial assessments. I know it is a clich but, look at the bigger picture. When foreign investors start buying into your bond market there might be more than one reason. It makes little difference. It still - in my opinion - indicates strong confidence.
        I hope in the future I can look back ands say how right you were. A number of the key sectors, and I'm seeing the impact in mine daily, do not look rosy at the moment, and the horizon is worse than it was as a result of June's events, but of course it's a complex picture. I think we can both agree that the next 2 years or so are critical.

Comment

This proves that asking the question in an ill defined way might not lead to the expected result.

Go Kirsty
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwsQ_5Wm4oo

Comment

This news item amused me..
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37906065
            because of this line

"Broadcaster NHK reported that an elderly lady slipped on some stairs because of the power cut."

and the award for desperately trying to find someone hurts goes to......:-)

Comment

Well done Lego. Hitting hate where it hurts-the bottom line

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37962425

Comment

Originally posted by trekbuster View Post
                Well done Lego. Hitting hate where it hurts-the bottom line

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37962425

On a more positive note.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37963046

Cheers

Paul
                Last edited by Bradburger; 12th November 2016, 21:11.
                The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradburger View Post

On a more positive note.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37963046

Cheers

Paul
                  Positive?
                  All it does is show what a shallow individual that he, and I would guess his advisors as well, are.

Comment

Originally posted by trekbuster View Post
                    Positive?
                    All it does is show what a shallow individual that he, and I would guess his advisors as well, are.
                    Not really.

The fact that the EU has had to call this meeting shows just how worried they are for the future of it.

I mean, why else would they call it!

They know from the past that Republican administrations are harder to deal with than a Democrat one, and they now have the additional worry of the future Trump one, whose dislike for the EU and all that it stands for is going to be an extra headache for them.

Already we have a very worried Junker and a host of other EU bureaucrats throwing their toys out of the pram with silly little threats.

"We will need to teach the president-elect what Europe is and how it works"

Well Mr Junker, it's time the likes of you and your so called 'democratic' institution learned a lesson or two yourself!

Cheers

Paul
                    Last edited by Bradburger; 12th November 2016, 23:20.
                    The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

Comment

It looks as tho' Junckers junket is about to junk it !

Comment

A major step that is more than symbolic. The British Govt. has just informed the World Trade Organisation that Britain will be resuming its former seat at the negotiating table in place of the EU which was the former occupant.

Gone down like an EU lead balloon ? One would hope so.

Comment

British State education rules the world. It'll be a while before we see some truth in that statement.

The OECD has published its latest world league tables. Of seventy nations listed, Britain, despite colossal state expenditure, features at around number 27 out of 70 for literacy, numeracy and science. I'm amazed we're as high as that.

Despite the attractions of excellent financial packages and working conditions, one spokesman commented that so far as science was concerned they could not recruit teachers. Has anyone got an answer to the question why ? Or, is there more than one answer ?

Comment

Well now ! That is excellent news and a slap in the teeth for all the leftie INNERS including the so called Supreme Court. Parliament have had their say, Brexit will start in March.

Neuberger concedes that some will find it strange that the result of the referendum could ever be in doubt.

Source: D. Tel. and the Holy Grail.

Comment

It was yesterday reported in the D. Tel. that our late, unloved Prime Minister D. Cameron Esq. has warned that the future of the Euro is in doubt.

He goes onto to say - correctly in my view - that the euro is not working as intended and countries growth has suffered. If that isn't a bit of an understatement I don't know what is.

He went on to predict that Marine Le Pen would not win in France and that the anti EU movement in the Netherlands would not be successful. In his view the euro is the bigger problem. In that, he is of course, correct.

Let us see what happens to his other predictions. Nothing much is in his favour !

Comment

How are inners - or the supreme court - leftie? Last time I looked 'remain' was the recommendation of the British government. Who are Conservative, John.
                                www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
                                It's all good. Probably.

Comment

You're almost 'cherrypicking'. Not quite the complete story. The Tories (I am no friend) were divided, around the percentage of fifty fifty.

Last week either the D. Tel. or the Holy Grail featured all the members of the Supreme Court describing their employment histories, educational status, political affiliations etc. It wouldn't have taken the best brains on this forum to see a common factor; a common left of center factor.

As I recall, on of the most significant features was the judges attachment to various left leaning quangos presumably doling out acceptable wedges of taxpayers cash.

The article accompanying the feature concluded that the judges were to a man or woman; lefties. As we all know, most lefties are opposed to Brexit.

In a later disclosure, the President or Chief Justice of the Court admitted that many would be wondering why the referendum result was under attack - or, words to that effect.

Comment

Hot off the Press ! Who would have thought it ?

It appears that Philip Hammond loosely described as the Chancellor has to-day, in front of a Select Committee, hinted that the 0.7 % of GDP that allegedly disappears into the maw of overseas aid might shortly come under scrutiny.

Perhaps he's been getting a whisper or two that the natives are getting restless. There must be thousands , if not a few more who wonder as I do, why it is that charities are ceaselessly canvassing for funds on daytime and evening telly to buy shelter, water, food and clothing for the starving millions in Africa and the Near East, when our overseas aid budget was written into law to cover such eventualities.

Comment

I know John, seeing these starving and less fortunate people really ruins my evenings TV and a good movie.

Comment

Try not to be so sensitive.

Comment

It was reported yesterday in the D.Tel. that a certain BBC Radio One presenter Chris Stark, while a contestant on Celebrity Mastermind did not know the answer to the question, who first said: "Never in the field of human conflict..........." etc.,

Should this be surprising ? Is it linked in any way, no matter how remotely, with certain attitudes displayed in connection with the B of B display at the RAF Museum, Hendon ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X