The Official F1 Thread

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 3 months

i feel we should have this a thread for talking about f1 and what lies ahead like the new regulations,

most i disagree with but one i like and that is that the driver is now allowed to choose their own number which can be between 1 and 99 i think this will mean that people will beable to recognise the driver better

Original post

Member for

11 years 5 months

I fell out of love with F1 a few years ago and now it seems to hide-bound with regulations that half the raw fun is lost. Regulations for safety, yes of course, but otherwise.... :D A bit of a sweeping statement but I sense that with 21st century F1 technology a mediocre driver in a cracking car stands a good chance in the points but a brilliant driver in a poor car stands no chance. I have no doubt I will get lambasted for the comment but we'll see.

Member for

19 years 5 months

F1 is not what it used to be Axel .... like everything else apparently ;)

Member for

20 years 6 months

zzzzzzz paint drying along with cricket.I spent an hour around Duxford museum when they were doing the F1 testing and after a short while the noise ,very irritating compared to a beautiful Merlin engine.

Member for

11 years 5 months

zzzzzzz paint drying along with cricket.

Cricket - paint drying - zzzz..;l.that's sacrilege. Go to the naughty step young man!!:D

Member for

13 years 9 months

He can't, my wife has just put me on it, forgot to put all the ..CHRISTMAS dec lights on when I got up today........:D
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 5 months

Ooooh!!! - I'm sure there's room for both of you!!:D

Member for

20 years 6 months

;0 I got the naughty step and still fell asleep at the thought of cricket zzzzzzzzzz and F 1 .

Member for

10 years 3 months

well there your opinions mine are different i love the sport and the racing because if you watch properly and dont look away there is some great action

Member for

11 years 5 months

It might have something to do with age. I don't find the modern technologically sophisticated racing as exciting as the days when you drove by the seat of your pants and driver skill was paramount. Yes cars are twice as fast but the speed is relative to car stability and safety, so I think they cancel each other out. And as in many other sports money rules and often sport and money are uncomfortable bedfellows.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Honestly Axel you are wasting your time.
As you say there is a lot of action/racing all the way through the pack and thankfully that is now shown by the TV producers, unlike the days of watching a Ferrari for a couple of hours. I love the sport too because I understand and appreciate what it is, a team sport. From the driver to the cleaner at the factory it is a team sport. A sport as much about the race between the designers and engineers as it is between the drivers. That is not to say that any driver can drive the best car and win. Webber has not matched Vettel in identical cars but then I doubt that Vettel would have performed any where near as well as Alonso has in the Ferrari this year. There are problems caused by money in F1 eg absolute garbage tracks in the desert, but money does not buy you the championship. If it did then then Toyota would have won every championship they competed in and not had to pack in like they did.
I could talk about F1 all day but there is no point on here. It is on the list, along with saying there is no god and there should be no monarchy :o

Member for

19 years 5 months

ps I have just seen where you are from Axel. No wonder you are talking sense :o

Member for

11 years 5 months

I could talk about F1 all day but there is no point on here. It is on the list, along with saying there is no god and there should be no monarchy :o

Isn't that a bit of a generalisation or are you implying that most members are atheist, republican ramblers?:D I have the feeling that there are several shades of opinion on most things and quite a few petrol heads. But you've been around the forum a lot longer than I have so are more finely tuned.

Member for

11 years 7 months

Sadly F1 has become dull as dishwater. Up until recently I would watch most Grand Prix but now as soon as I see Vettel take the lead I get bored and switch off. It has become a procession with stupid rules and even more stupid amounts of money involved. The authorities fiddle and tweak the rules whereas what is need is a wholesale review of the rules and regulations. Rules governing driver numbers and double points for the last race will not stop the downward spiral.

Up until a few years ago it used to exciting and interesting to watch. Now it isn't.

Member for

14 years

Didn't Stirling Moss always have the number 7 on his car ?

I can take or leave F1 nowadays. I usually record it on Sky+ and watch it at X12 speed.
They must have lost a lot of viewers since only a couple of the races are now shown live on the BBC.

I don't expect that going back to the smaller engines and turbos will make a lot of difference.
It will still be the same few teams at the top.

Of course we don't want to go back to the days when at least one driver was killed every year, but it's just too safe now.

Member for

13 years 9 months

I used to watch far more than I do now. A lot of the trouble is that little shi*te Ecclestone, who has made so many changes each year, that the smaller Teams have no chance of competing, Take Ferrari f'rinstance, most of the money they get from the sales of Fiats, they plough back into the Ferrari Team F1, I think also that the changees in the circuits, has made a big difference, most, have no safe places to overtake a rival, Monaco is a classic example, the man who gets Pole position, and at the start, manages to get in front, is usually the winner, simply because there is no, or hardly any places to overtake, you only have to go back to where Mansel tried for most of the race, to overtake Sena, he was INCHES off the rear of Sena for most of the race, but couldn't overtake, both cars and drivers were equal, in both cars performance, and driver skills.
Still prefer the good old Turbo days though.
Team orders should be banned, first past the Post wins, even if it's your Team mate, far too political nowadays though.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

11 years 5 months

Couldn't agree more with your last five words - that and money!!

Member for

19 years 5 months

Isn't that a bit of a generalisation or are you implying that most members are atheist, republican ramblers?:D

Hi Charlie. Just to clear this up, it is me who is the `atheist republican rambler` :D

I think people need to have a good look at the rule changes for next season. Forget the car numbers and all that rubbish. The cars are going to be very different next season, even if the only external difference are slightly different wings and nose, underneath are new engines, turbo`s, 2 x energy recovery systems, exhaust etc. Obviously Adrian Newey is going to build a car that will put Red Bull `up there` but everybody is starting from scratch and I expect some new contenders for race wins. We wont know until we some testing but I expect a `blast from the past` to re-emerge next year ;)

Member for

13 years 9 months

It's about time Sir Frank, and his Team were up on the Podium for the 2014 Season, with a World Champion, not just in the Constructors Points.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

19 years 5 months

They know how to build a turbo car :o

Member for

13 years 9 months

I know, I have been down to Silverstone many times and watched the Team in practice. I could tell you just what Graham Hill, and Coulthard are really like, when out of the public eyes and TV crews..Sir Frank is a fantastic chap to talk to, when you can pin him down.
Jim.
Lincoln .7