Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official F1 Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 91Regal
    dastardly, dangerous
    • Oct 2005

And all the expertise and jobs will disappear from the U.K.
    Last edited by Peter; 26th March 2016, 22:13. Reason: See rules regarding Quote use
    plain old vanilla

Comment

• ~Alan~
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Mar 2010

I'm really glad Rosberg won this year's championship, even though I no longer follow the sport.
      Hamilton is such a bad loser, virtually resorting to cheating in the last race. Reading various reports,
      he doesn't seem to be very popular amongst the other drivers. Way behind Jensen Button in the popularity polls.
      Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• snafu
        • Aug 2013

Bad loser or not, what Hamilton did was not against the rules - he did what he felt he needed to do to attempt to win the championship, unsuccessfully.

No one died, or even had to retire in the attempt (Senna and Prost, 1989 Japanese GP), there were no team orders other than a few 'weighted' requests from his team bosses - if he was driving slowly then it was on those following him to overtake rather than bleat he was cheating. Did it change the result?

Comment

• TonyT
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2006

One would say what Hamilton was doing was a perfectly legal manoeuvre, indeed not only that, but Red Bull were carrying out exactly the same manoeuvre to try and pass Ferrari.

To "stage" a result as Mercedes did is bad for the sport, they need to be able to fight for the championships.
          I also agree with what has been said elsewhere that the money side of the results should also move from the team championship to the driver one, thus team orders would become irrelevant under certain circumstances, because at the present, the team is just interested in securing the prize money from winning the team championship, to the detriment of the racing.
          I would cherish the day when team radios are banned and the driver is the key, the racing would be better and more interesting, fair enough leave comms in for talking to the race director etc, but the rest should go back to the pit board.

Comment

• ~Alan~
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by snafu View Post
            rather than bleat he was cheating. Did it change the result?
            No it didn't change the result, and I wasn't bleating.
            Why though, when you know you are not exactly the most popular person in the pit lane, would you go out of your way to
            dig yourself into an even deeper hole ? If Rosberg had lost out due to his team mate's tactics, Hamilton may now be looking for another job.
            I doubt if any other team would touch him with a barge pole.
            Last edited by ~Alan~; 28th November 2016, 15:19.
            Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

• snafu
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ~Alan~ View Post
              No it didn't change the result, and I wasn't bleating.
              Good, since I wasn't referring to you!

Originally posted by ~Alan~ View Post
              Why though, when you know you are not exactly the most popular person in the pit lane, would you go out of your way to
              dig yourself into an even deeper hole ? If Rosberg had lost out due to his team mate's tactics, Hamilton may now be looking for another job.
              I doubt if any other team would touch him with a barge pole.
              Senna made himself unpopular. Schumacher was not always mr popularity. But Formula 1 is not about being popular, it is about winning races then championships; and if you can do it without annoying too many other drivers, teams, sponsors or spectators then you have it in the bag.
              I didn't like Senna, he seemed too cold and seemed to know he was the best and never needed to do anything but look down his nose at any other racer; when he didn't win it was always as though someone else was to blame, never him. When he changed teams there was never a problem over how he had screwed over his own previous teams - everyone wanted him. If there is a team problem for Hamilton I don't think he will have a problem finding a seat for next year; he will bring lots of sponsorship with him that would make the teams salivate.

Comment

• Graeme Halliday
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2012

I stopped watching when money became more important than talent in the drivers.
                I have a friend who works for McLaren. I think Jenson will be sorely missed but I don't think they know it.

Comment

• snafu
                  • Aug 2013

I was listening to the race on Radio 5 - somebody tweeted them to say Hamilton was in danger of making Formula 1 interesting again (or something).

Just a thought - did anyone watch it?

Comment

• Paul F
                    Retired Lawnmower Racer
                    • May 2005

- did anyone watch it?
                    Yes, I did. A fairly predictable 2016 season race, and boring up until the point that Hamilton started to slow down, to try to put Vettel and Verstappen within striking distance of Rosberg, at that point it was much more entertaining..would Rosberg try and catch/pass Hamiltion, would Vettel (and Verstappen) manage to get past Rosberg etc?

Yes Ham did ignore, and/or argue with, team orders, but why not? It was his only chance of retaining the Championship, and any other driver would probably have done the same in his circumstances. At least he had the b*lls to ignore the team's orders, many drivers would just have meekly obeyed, and the race would have been a predictably boring McL 1/2 as a result.

Yes, the outcome was (eventually) still the same, a predictable McL 1/2, and Hamilton lost his championship, but at least the last 15 - 20 mins racing were more exciting to watch...

So, no UK champion for the start of next season, Jenson Button gone (always seemed to be a very popular "Brit"), and probably even fewer live F1 races being shown on UK Terrestrial TV... I suspect F1 will fade even further from the wider UK-public's interest next year, especially if any one team starts/continues to dominate all the early races again.

Still, Mr E and his acolytes have trousered a fortune to date, so what does he care if UK interest is lost, no doubt he has eyes on the (supposedly) more lucrative emerging markets for 'mobile advertising hoarding' races in Eastern Europe and Middle East.

In UK I suspect the motor sport formulae with less predictable results such as Touring Cars (BTCC) may quickly attract larger audience figures.
                    Last edited by Paul F; 29th November 2016, 13:15.

Comment

• TonyT
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Oct 2006

Yes Ham did ignore, and/or argue with, team orders, but why not? It was his only chance of retaining the Championship, and any other driver would probably have done the same in his circumstances. At least he had the b*lls to ignore the team's orders, many drivers would just have meekly obeyed, and the race would have been a predictably boring McL 1/2 as a result.
                      Totally agree, you know if this was football or any other sport such as horse racing then there would be such a fervour over race fixing which is what team orders are, Mercedes were fixing the race and the result by interfering and telling drivers to change their tactics, it gets even worse than that when teams order drivers to give places to their team members allowing them to win races to increase the teams championship goals, that is race fixing and I am surprised that anyone who gambles on the result have not sued them for it.

Comment

• snafu
                        • Aug 2013

Gambling on Formula 1? Have you really found a bookie that would do that?

Anyway no German race next season for financial reasons, but the French grand prix almost certain to return.

Comment

• snafu
                          • Aug 2013

And now there will be no current world champion racing next season.

Comment

• J Boyle
                            With malice towards none
                            • Oct 2004

Always glad to see Mercedes win the world championship.
                            Also, good to see a driver go out while on top.
                            There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• TonyT
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Oct 2006

Gambling on Formula 1? Have you really found a bookie that would do that?

Anyway no German race next season for financial reasons, but the French grand prix almost certain to return.

Take your pick

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...DciSgAaIx7CQCg

Comment

• snafu
                                • Aug 2013

Three-time Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton will escape punishment for his controversial tactics at the recently concluded season ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix race, confirmed Mercedes' non-executive chairman Niki Lauda.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/lewis-hamil...-lauda-1595035
                                Theres a surprise - now theyve lost Rosberg who could see them cheesing off Hamilton enough for him to walk away as well?

Comment

• ~Alan~
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Mar 2010

Looks as though it could be the same again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39391284

Comment

• ~Alan~
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Mar 2010

This weekend's result is a refreshing change. I still don't think I will bother to watch it though.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                    X