Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are We Slowly Slipping Into World War?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could the Crimea end up part of Russia?

Comment

Like it used to be. It seems to make sense for the Ukraine to split - much as Czechoslovakia did twenty odd years ago.
      Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by charliehunt View Post
          Rubbish - Putin posturing, that's all it is - hoping to put the frighteners on Ukraine. They have no need whatsoever to put troops on alert. Who is going to attack them?
          By 'put the frighteners on Ukraine' do you mean invading Ukraine?

Men in unmarked camouflage uniforms occupied two airports and blocked the road between Simferopol and Sevastopol before dawn, while a Russian warship was reported to have blockaded the entrance to the bay at Balaklava, the home of the Ukrainian coast guard.
          Several dozen men in camouflage uniforms and carrying AK-74 assault rifles and PK 7.62 mm machine guns occupied a restaurant and patrolled the car park and forecourt of Simferopol international airport early on Friday morning.
          The soldiers, who wore no identifying insignia, refused to answer questions from journalists as they strolled up and down outside the airport.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-Ukraine.html
          Although I have to admit that they sound like Russian troops, I suppose it is not beyond the realms of reality that - how ever unlikely it could be - they might be from the EU or America. Or Switzerland or Tuvalu even...

Comment

Firstly my comment was made a long time before the reports you refer to and secondly reports of Russian soldiers in isolated parts of pro- Russian Ukraine are hardly an invasion but are certainly evidence of Putin putting the frighteners on Ukraine.

Afterthought - I suppose it's likely that Crimea's relatively brief detachment from Russia will end and as I mentioned earlier the country might be happier split between the pro-Russian East and the pro-West. A referendum before the election perhaps, but with hopefully a higher turnout than that which voted for Crimea's autonomy.
            Last edited by charliehunt; 28th February 2014, 22:42.
            Charlie

Comment

How much of the population in the Crimea is pro/ethnic Russian? As an aside, I get a very eerie feeling of a Munich-esq deal being made.

Comment

73% - I think was the latest figure I saw.
                Charlie

Comment

Some very troubling signs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26405635

Comment

Just hope it can be sorted in a peaceful manner but i do worry about Putin.

Comment

Putin has to play the strong man to maintain his position at home but no Russian leader could afford to risk his significant military assets in Crimea. It seems logical given Ukraine's ethnic history that Crimea ceases to be a part of it. And whatever the Doomesday scenarists write I seriously doubt war between Russia and the West.
                      Charlie

Comment

Firstly my comment was made a long time before the reports you refer to and secondly reports of Russian soldiers in isolated parts of pro- Russian Ukraine are hardly an invasion but are certainly evidence of Putin putting the frighteners on Ukraine.
                        Your post was a day before mine; you don't think the Russians were in country then?

Comment

I agree that it's unlikely this will escalate into all out war. But, I'm sure the same was said by many 100 years ago...

Comment

J-j - I think comparing then and now is bit like comparing then and the Napoleonic wars. What probably is most relevant is the historical position of Crimea over the past 150 years.
                            Charlie

Comment

Will this crisis translate into increased military spending in Europe and the US? My guess is no.

Comment

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                                Your post was a day before mine; you don't think the Russians were in country then?
                                We don't know because there are a few thousand Russian personnel based in Crimea by mutual agreement anyway.
                                Charlie

Comment

I'm getting prepared. I've just taken my Raglan to the dry cleaners.

Comment

We don't know because there are a few thousand Russian personnel based in Crimea by mutual agreement anyway.
                                    So they were the ones 'guarding' places in combat gear with no badges, etc?

Comment

I have no idea because my original post preceded that information. All those exchanges have been superceed by events so irrelevant now.
                                      Charlie

Comment

As I said earlier these Russians are Spetsnaz as they do not wear insignia. Not the sort of people to argue with. The Navy also has their own Spetsnaz and my wear some sort of emblem(probably spurious) As they seem to have bottled up the Ukrainian armed forces without a fight I think they realise they are not dealing with poorly trained conscripts here. Time will tell I suppose.
                                        I have kleptomania,But when it gets bad
                                        I take something for it.

Comment

Hope he doesn't want Poland to be closer......

Comment

Working...
                                          X